Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Upper Oil Pan Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 01:17 AM
kennyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Oil Pan Replacement Question

Hey guys so I'm in need of changing my upper oil pan. I was changing the oil pressure sensor and on its way out it made a crack in the threaded area and then when I took out the sensor the threaded portion broke off. So the question is what's the best way to tackle the job, removing the front suspension (from the bottom) or removing it from the top like the fsm states? Also what are other things I should replace while the engine is out (maintenence wise)
Old 02-28-2016, 05:55 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

As long as you have a covered place to work, taking the front end off and pulling the motor is the best way to go. As far as what else to do, it might help if you posted mileage, condition of engine, drivetrain, etc. to help us make any recommendations.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:39 AM
kennyy

Originally Posted by dkmura
As long as you have a covered place to work, taking the front end off and pulling the motor is the best way to go. As far as what else to do, it might help if you posted mileage, condition of engine, drivetrain, etc. to help us make any recommendations.
Sorry forgot to mention all of that, yeah we have a covered place to work on it and we should have access to an engine lift hoist as well. The car is a

6 speed manual
107k miles
Engine is great, I've never abused the engine, no unusual noises only problem I have sometimes is in the morning when I first start the car it'll crank for an extra 3 seconds before it fires up the engine, I'm not sure if spark plug change would fix that unless you have any other recommendation as what could cause that

and as far as pulling the front end, do you mean pulling the front cross member and working from the bottom, or working from the top ie: taking the hood, upper engine components off like the fsm states etc

Last edited by kennyy; 02-28-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

I did mine by bracing the motor from the top and removing the subrame. Took me and a friend roughly 5-6 hours.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:29 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyy
Sorry forgot to mention all of that, yeah we have a covered place to work on it and we should have access to an engine lift hoist as well. The car is a

6 speed manual
107k miles
Engine is great, I've never abused the engine, no unusual noises only problem I have sometimes is in the morning when I first start the car it'll crank for an extra 3 seconds before it fires up the engine, I'm not sure if spark plug change would fix that unless you have any other recommendation as what could cause that

and as far as pulling the front end, do you mean pulling the front cross member and working from the bottom, or working from the top ie: taking the hood, upper engine components off like the fsm states etc
To me, it was easier to pull the front bumper, radiator and support structures and simply get to the engine from there. At your mileage, you'll have to make a few decisions on what to replace. The clutch and flywheel should at least inspected, along with the throwout bearing. You can easily access the front pulley and replace the accessory belt and may as well consider replacing the water pump at that point.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:17 PM
kennyy

Originally Posted by dkmura
To me, it was easier to pull the front bumper, radiator and support structures and simply get to the engine from there. At your mileage, you'll have to make a few decisions on what to replace. The clutch and flywheel should at least inspected, along with the throwout bearing. You can easily access the front pulley and replace the accessory belt and may as well consider replacing the water pump at that point.
Cool! The clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing were replaced 2k miles ago, both belts were replaced about 300 miles ago. I'll look into changing the water pump, I'm also thinking of doing the spark plugs and checking the timing chain as well
Old 03-05-2016, 09:08 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conway_160
I did mine by bracing the motor from the top and removing the subrame. Took me and a friend roughly 5-6 hours.
I did it same way. Why would you do anything from the front? You can even leave the rack attached to the crossmember and swing it out of the way.

Trending Topics

Old 04-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Perezg350z

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
I did it same way. Why would you do anything from the front? You can even leave the rack attached to the crossmember and swing it out of the way.
can u write a quick process to do it? I have a leak on my upper oil pan and I want to replace the gasket , do I have to take the tranny out and /or the crankshaft pulley? Thanks
Old 04-23-2018, 05:13 PM
Perezg350z

U took some pics of the process? Would u share them so we can have an idea on how to do it , pleas? , dealer gave a quote of $1800 just for replace the upper oil gasket ... I know it takes time to do it but come on $1800????? Thanks hope u took pics bro
Old 04-23-2018, 05:47 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Perezg350z

U took some pics of the process? Would u share them so we can have an idea on how to do it , pleas? , dealer gave a quote of $1800 just for replace the upper oil gasket ... I know it takes time to do it but come on $1800????? Thanks hope u took pics bro
Sorry I didn't take pics. But roughly $125 per hour and the dealer is going to pull the engine to do it. I could see the $1800 and it's just RTV that seals the upper pan.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:14 PM
Perezg350z

Sorry I didn't take pics. But roughly $125 per hour and the dealer is going to pull the engine to do it. I could see the $1800 and it's just RTV that seals the upper pan.
i know bro RTV it’s just like $20 , I saw a rebuilt engine for $1200 and they swap it for $700 I might pay the $1900 for the swap and I will have a O miles engine with 60 days warranty instead of paying $1800 for just the rtv on the upper oil pan lol ... thanks bro