Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

An SPL compression rod bushing problem?

Old 07-22-2017, 06:01 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default An SPL compression rod bushing problem?

It looks like my bushings are not staying in place. My driver's side has fallen out the bottom and the passenger side appears to be popping out the top. What gives?

Driver's side (clunking a lot as you might imagine):
Name:  IMG_0818_zpsecpybsir.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  154.4 KB

Passenger's side (no noise, yet):

By the way, these were installed by Dynosty year before last. Less than 10k miles on them. Do I need a new compression rod? New bushings?

Last edited by rcdash; 07-22-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:39 PM
littlejuanito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need both
Old 07-22-2017, 10:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Contact SPL, you may need a set slightly bigger
Old 07-23-2017, 06:19 AM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

In the SPL compression rod bushing thread, I remember some people being able to push in 90% of the bushing by hand. Possibly your bushings were not tight enough originally and are now failing?.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

When you remove, inspect the race in these arms, it will tell you if the old bushing were pressed out properly, and if the new ones were pressed in the same.

If there is gouging, then it wasnt done properly.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:55 PM
rcdash

Appreciate the feedback. I think I may ask SPL to see if they can just send me new compression rods with the bushings installed. I suspect trying to get these parts working again may be an exercise in frustration. Alternative would be to put in whiteline bushings I suppose. I really liked the handling with these though.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:35 AM
AKS14

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you push out the old bushings and they pull a bit of material with them because you arent coming at them 100% straight on with your press, or if your bushing receiver that you are using to press the bushing out snags the arm housing a bit it can take off a few thousandths of material and allow the bushings to move easier than they should and possibly pull out.

I had a similar issue with a different arm because the arm had previously had some other aftermarket bushings in it, and I believe it just took out a little too much material removing them so I just went with a loctite press-fit bushing compound around the bushing and then I also staked the bushing in place and it has not moved since.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:08 PM
rcdash

Dynosty worked with SPL whose engineers came to the conclusion that a redesign may be in order! That will be a lengthy process and not too helpful for me (thanks SPL!). I learned that there are no different sized bushings so stepping up to slightly larger set for a tighter fit is not an option. Dynosty cleaned up my compression rods, repressed bushings, put in new washers and drilled in 4 set screws per bushing. Brilliant work. I hope it lasts but for now I'm very grateful for a cost effective and innovative workaround from Dynosty.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:19 AM
doyle4281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello guys, seems as if the complaints with these Spherical compression rod bushings is not uncommon. Many reviews I see, say they are noisy, and in situations like this, fail. This appears to be an issue with the arm, not the bushing, but the noise(contact) seems like it will result in premature failure. Has any change occurred with theses bushings to remedy any of these problems?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I had one that fell through a brand new arm, so the sizing was off slightly. I don't blame spl, I blame myself for not buying a Nissan arm.
However they were kind enough to send out a new set to me, I also used assembly compound (by loctite iirc) to keep them in place.
That was 2-3 years ago.

Last edited by RobPhoboS; 02-17-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:16 AM
doyle4281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobPhoboS
I had one that fell through a brand new arm, so the sizing was off slightly. I don't blame spl, I blame myself for not buying a Nissan arm.
However they were kind enough to send out a new set to me, I also used assembly compound (by loctite iirc) to keep them in place.
That was 2-3 years ago.
Yeah, I知 sure a certain amount material is lost during the installation, bearing locker compound will definitely fix that. I知 guessing the bearing has held up fine if it痴 been 2-3 years. Is this installed on a road driven vehicle? Does it make the ride harsh? I知 torn between Nismo and whiteline for the rest of the bushings, but I feel the SPL is a better design for the compression rod. Any opinions from after all that driving with the SPL?
Old 02-18-2019, 01:22 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by doyle4281

Yeah, I知 sure a certain amount material is lost during the installation, bearing locker compound will definitely fix that. I知 guessing the bearing has held up fine if it痴 been 2-3 years. Is this installed on a road driven vehicle? Does it make the ride harsh? I知 torn between Nismo and whiteline for the rest of the bushings, but I feel the SPL is a better design for the compression rod. Any opinions from after all that driving with the SPL?
No extra material came out that I saw, and I'm fairly meticulous when doing this stuff, especially at the time as it was when I first bought my press.
I'm sure it was just a slight issue with the arm I had, I think - I've had several sets over the years it hard remembering
Yes it's been good, and I regularly check the car as I track it frequently too.

Poly bushings are terrible (imho) unless it's only a rotational part that it's being applied to (steering rack/sway bars).
Poly bushings have a weird tendency for stiction, so basically it will bind until a force overcomes that. What this ends up feeling like a is a delay in response because that's literally what is happening. It will hold and release. Some people won't notice it, others will.
The spherical bushings absolutely induce more harshness, whether you find it annoying or not is completely subjective unfortunately. If my car was a daily on our cruddy roads over here in the UK, I'd stick with OEM or Hard Race rubber bushings, definitely not poly or spherical.

As you can tell, I've been there and done that. Waste of money and time unfortunately.
What I would say is that if your car is lowered, ensure the geometry is corrected (spl outer tie rods for ex help), and think carefully about what you're using the car for.

Search this Thread