Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

03 track model suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 12:36 PM
ssmokeyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 track model suspension upgrade

So I have a 03 track model coup with 6 speed manual. I have switch the brakes over from the brembo's to 370 big brake kit. Also I have 370z 19 rays wheels. tire size is 285/35/19 rear front 245/40/19. I want to stay around 850 or less. Goal is to drop between 0-1 inch max. I have the 07 nismo kit here but the shocks seem weak. they have 30k miles on them. I would like to improve handling on my car also.

Options I have found.
tein basis z $550 twin tube
Tein flex z $850 twin tube
isc coilover $800 mono tube
Bc br line $850 Twin tube
Bilsteins with Rs-r springs $800
Bilsteins with 07 nismo springs $600
I would like to have mono tubes for the handling upgrade. Not sure why tein is using twin tubes. Every time I think about best for my money option is probably bilsteins with rs-r Just want to make sure i'm right about that.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:58 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmokeyy
So I have a 03 track model coup with 6 speed manual. I have switch the brakes over from the brembo's to 370 big brake kit. Also I have 370z 19 rays wheels. tire size is 285/35/19 rear front 245/40/19. I want to stay around 850 or less. Goal is to drop between 0-1 inch max. I have the 07 nismo kit here but the shocks seem weak. they have 30k miles on them. I would like to improve handling on my car also.

Options I have found.
tein basis z $550 twin tube
Tein flex z $850 twin tube
isc coilover $800 mono tube
Bc br line $850 Twin tube
Bilsteins with Rs-r springs $800
Bilsteins with 07 nismo springs $600
I would like to have mono tubes for the handling upgrade. Not sure why tein is using twin tubes. Every time I think about best for my money option is probably bilsteins with rs-r Just want to make sure i'm right about that.
My opinion is to try the Nismo suspension since you have it already. Saves a boatload of money since you don't seem to really want to lower the car. You'd be surprised how well the N-suspension works.

Worst case scenario: You don't like it and THEN you go for Bilstein.

Only thing you're out is the extra time under the car.

And if it works out from the up/down perspective, then put the money into a set of adjustable sway bars for real handling improvement if that's what you're after.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:34 PM
ssmokeyy

I'm about 85% sure the rear shocks are blown because when I push the shock down it doesn't come back up at all. The stock stuff did the same thing and I was haven tire to road problems all the time. How do u feel about using the bilsteins with the nismo springs? What do nismo owners do normally when they need shocks and use there springs? Asking because I know the spring rate is so high.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:51 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I'm about 85% sure the rear shocks are blown because when I push the shock down it doesn't come back up at all. The stock stuff did the same thing and I was haven tire to road problems all the time. How do u feel about using the bilsteins with the nismo springs? What do nismo owners do normally when they need shocks and use there springs? Asking because I know the spring rate is so high.
30k mile shocks should (obviously no guarantee) still be good unless they were sitting in the sun drying out the seals for the last 10 years. You cannot judge these shocks by compression and expected rebound method. They are not gas charged; they are standard hydraulic units. When installing them, you'll want to burp them (up/down in VERTICAL motion only) just as you would any non-gas shock. (Or drive them 1-200 miles while they self settle).

But, if you are still uncomfortable, the Bilstein B6/B8 units are the way to go, IMO. No better shock on the market for street/hill/canyon/occasional track duty. Comfortably firm and do the job.

Running these with Nismo (from a 350Z Nismo, not the S-Tune suspension) springs will be a satisfying package. Nismo OE springs are roughly 30-35% stiffer than standard springs (depending on who you talk to) and easily controlled with the Bilsteins.

If I had to replace shocks on either of my Nismo Zs, I'd do the above.

For more info: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-28-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:09 PM
ssmokeyy

wait a min. The factory nismo shocks aren't gas charged? I thought they were just twin tube low pressure gas.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

wait a min. The factory nismo shocks aren't gas charged? I thought they were just twin tube low pressure gas.
Not to my knowledge. (Could be wrong, it's happened a couple times in my life. )

Here's one of the sets I had for sale...

I was able to compress and bleed the rear shocks by hand and this particular set had only about 20k miles on it; the car they went on firmed up immediately.

And even if they are low pressure gas, they can be compressed. Just don't try that with Bilsteins.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 AM
ssmokeyy

So I'm just going to list the nismo parts on ebay. I ordered bilsteins b6 and st suspension springs. I got the springs from st suspension for 50% off brand new never used. Only thing we could not find is the spring rate of the springs. Does any one know the st spring rates for there springs? I have used them in the past and never seen a bad part by them so I don't think there going to suck.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

So I'm just going to list the nismo parts on ebay. I ordered bilsteins b6 and st suspension springs. I got the springs from st suspension for 50% off brand new never used. Only thing we could not find is the spring rate of the springs. Does any one know the st spring rates for there springs? I have used them in the past and never seen a bad part by them so I don't think there going to suck.
Don't have a clue on spring rates.

But a good choice to go with the 'Steins. You won't regret it.

ST - Suspension Techniques - has been around for a LONG time. They were fresh when I was into S30s (the first time in the late '70s). They've changed hands probably more than once and go by "ST" now but if their products are anything like the ones they used to build, should be just fine as they were one of THE companies to use.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:26 PM
ssmokeyy

I like that there owner is kw suspension and kw has not changed that st suspension is still made in the usa. So how bad can it really be I will find out and let every one know. I had st on my integra and damn it was some nice stuff.