Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Replacing Shocks Struts....what else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 AM
tdavis42

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Shocks Struts....what else?

I am getting ready to replace the front and rear suspension and I am not sure what else I should replace since I'm down there.

Car has 130k miles, possibly factory original shocks and struts, new control arm bushings.

I am not looking into lowering it or messing with the suspension geometry at all just want to take care of essential items all at once.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-19-2018, 06:13 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Check on your end links and see if they need to be replaced. Replace the shock mounts if they are OE. Take a look at your rear subframe bushings and see if they need to be replaced.

EDIT: Meant to say check your differential bushing but you can also look for torn subframe bushings.

Last edited by rancor; 01-19-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I prefer the British term "dampers" as that's what these devices truly do. They control the motion of the springs, in both compression and extension. They are NOT struts, as Nissan did NOT design 350Z dampers to locate any suspension pickup points.

As for suggestions on anything else, rancor has some good suggestions, but the front upper shock mounts shouldn't be a huge issue unless the studs are damaged, or other signs of heavy wear are present. If you have the car up on jackstands, be sure to check the condition of things like brake lines, and be prepared to upgrade to SS lines if they show any signs of wear or damage. Depending on which replacement damper you go with, hardware (nuts and bolts) may need to be replaced and correct torque values used to reinstall them.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 AM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would inspect the diff bushings for leakage as well. For a street driven Z you dont need to go through all of the trouble to replace the subframe bushings but I would inspect the compression arm bushings while you are in there to make sure they are not worn.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:56 PM
tdavis42

Originally Posted by dkmura
I prefer the British term "dampers" as that's what these devices truly do. They control the motion of the springs, in both compression and extension. They are NOT struts, as Nissan did NOT design 350Z dampers to locate any suspension pickup points.

As for suggestions on anything else, rancor has some good suggestions, but the front upper shock mounts shouldn't be a huge issue unless the studs are damaged, or other signs of heavy wear are present. If you have the car up on jackstands, be sure to check the condition of things like brake lines, and be prepared to upgrade to SS lines if they show any signs of wear or damage. Depending on which replacement damper you go with, hardware (nuts and bolts) may need to be replaced and correct torque values used to reinstall them.
I ordered new mounting hardware for the front and rear to go with the Koni yellow sport's I purchased. I AutoX the car twice a month and am pretty competitive in it having just purchased it. I also plan on keeping it until I finish my degree so I wanted something that will last.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:02 PM
tdavis42

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
I would inspect the diff bushings for leakage as well. For a street driven Z you dont need to go through all of the trouble to replace the subframe bushings but I would inspect the compression arm bushings while you are in there to make sure they are not worn.
I already did the compression bushings and front lower arm bushing as it was slipping and causing a dead spot when quick steering was needed. I lubed the steering knuckle/U-joint while I was at it. Between the two it has fixed the steering issue.

I do AutoX the car and I could probably use a diff bushing replacement but haven't checked it because I really don't want confirmation that it need to be replaced.

I can't do much in terms of "upgrades" as I want to stay in street class and that requires a OEM hardware minus a few things. I have an adjustable front sway(end links are fine), RPF-1's and racing tires. Now I also have Koni yellow sports and new mounting hardware.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:13 PM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by tdavis42
I already did the compression bushings and front lower arm bushing as it was slipping and causing a dead spot when quick steering was needed. I lubed the steering knuckle/U-joint while I was at it. Between the two it has fixed the steering issue.

I do AutoX the car and I could probably use a diff bushing replacement but haven't checked it because I really don't want confirmation that it need to be replaced.

I can't do much in terms of "upgrades" as I want to stay in street class and that requires a OEM hardware minus a few things. I have an adjustable front sway(end links are fine), RPF-1's and racing tires. Now I also have Koni yellow sports and new mounting hardware.
I would only replace the diff bushing if necessary but its a noticeable & worthwhile upgrade though (especially when shifting & controlling unwanted movement back there). I dont have aftermarket sways yet but I just fixed everything that I thought was wrong with the platform (replaced all of the suspension, subframe, and diff bushings with poly, replaced the shocks with OTS Koni yellows, and replaced the springs with OEM Nismo 350z springs, and racing tires). I think its best tailored for my driving style. I hate that you can only replace the sway bar at one end of the car .
Old 01-22-2018, 05:16 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
I would only replace the diff bushing if necessary but its a noticeable & worthwhile upgrade though (especially when shifting & controlling unwanted movement back there). I dont have aftermarket sways yet but I just fixed everything that I thought was wrong with the platform (replaced all of the suspension, subframe, and diff bushings with poly, replaced the shocks with OTS Koni yellows, and replaced the springs with OEM Nismo 350z springs, and racing tires). I think its best tailored for my driving style. I hate that you can only replace the sway bar at one end of the car .
What do you mean? Both front and rear swaybars are replaceable.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:32 AM
Frostydc4

Originally Posted by dkmura
What do you mean? Both front and rear swaybars are replaceable.

Not for street class.