Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brakes locking up and grinding

Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 AM
xniz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes locking up and grinding

I have a 2004 Nissan 350Z touring. I have to keep the traction control off at all times. When the car looses traction, the ABS kicks in. The wheel locks up and the front of the car dips and starts grinding until i let off the brake.. If I"m drive fast and try to slam on the brakes, the ABS also grinds really bad and the car jerks, and its overall not a smooth experience.

I have went around turns with bad tires on the back of my car and the SLIP light come up and traction control kicks in. Ive been close to going off road on multiple occasions because of the ABS/traction control malfunctioning.. Any ideas on how to fix this or what part I can replace to fix it?

The car was wrecked and I just found out the other day that the rear subframe was cracked and causing the rear driving side wheel to be floppy and loose. I ordered a new subframe and control arms and waiitng for that in the mail. If the new subframe doesnt fix the issue, Im at a loss.

I was told the camber on the front driver side tire has been pushed in by the previous accident so I am also wondering if theres problems in the driver knuckle. My dad is a mechanic but I just need some ideas on what to tell him to look out for.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

If you have a Z33 touring model, you have VDC, not just traction control. As for your ABS system, it sounds as though there's more problems with your Z than just locking and grinding. Can you provide any other details on how it was "wrecked"? It sounds as though this Z is not firmly planted on all four corners due to damage. Also, have you pulled any codes from the ABS diagnostic section?
Old 11-04-2018, 10:59 AM
xniz

I can only drive with VDC off without having major issues. I dont know what happened in the previous accident. It was wrecked on the driver side. The front driver side wheel has camber stuck where top of the wheel is pointing inward. So the camber on the front driver tire is off. and the rear end's sub frame is cracked , causing the driver side wheel to be flimsy and insecure.

With VDC enabled, when the car loses traction, the wheels grind and lock up causing the front end to dip and jerk until i let off the brake. Its hard to explain, but something seems to be locking up. I think its the rear driver side wheel.

The traction control issue could be related to the subframe and insecure wheel. Same thing for the ABS when I slam on brakes if the traction control kicks in when the rear tires slide something seems to be locking up. I think the new subframe may fix the issue, because i think the rear driver wheel is locking up from where its not 100% secure.

Ive asked my dad about this and he doesnt really know what to do for testing or what to look for. I guess ill know if its related to the wobbly wheel after we get the new subframe in

Last edited by xniz; 11-04-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:15 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by xniz
I can only drive with VDC off without having major issues. I dont know what happened in the previous accident. It was wrecked on the driver side. The front driver side wheel has camber stuck where top of the wheel is pointing inward. So the camber on the front driver tire is off. and the rear end's sub frame is cracked , causing the driver side wheel to be flimsy and insecure.

With VDC enabled, when the car loses traction, the wheels grind and lock up causing the front end to dip and jerk until i let off the brake. Its hard to explain, but something seems to be locking up. I think its the rear driver side wheel.

The traction control issue could be related to the subframe and insecure wheel. Same thing for the ABS when I slam on brakes if the traction control kicks in when the rear tires slide something seems to be locking up. I think the new subframe may fix the issue, because i think the rear driver wheel is locking up from where its not 100% secure.

Ive asked my dad about this and he doesnt really know what to do for testing or what to look for. I guess ill know if its related to the wobbly wheel after we get the new subframe in
It sounds like you're trying to induce a skid, and VDC (not traction control) will make that difficult. Even with the button pushed, there are some elements of VDC that remain in operation. You also don't mention how many miles are on your touring Z, but if it's been used hard, the brakes may be used up. The early OEM brake package was never very robust, and was upgraded with the late '06-08 models. Have you checked the wear limits on the current rotors and pads? If you don't know how to do this, have your dad show you how. It could explain severe grinding under heavy brake application
Old 11-05-2018, 05:41 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Unplug sensor under center console and buy tires
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 AM
xniz

Originally Posted by dkmura
It sounds like you're trying to induce a skid, and VDC (not traction control) will make that difficult. Even with the button pushed, there are some elements of VDC that remain in operation. You also don't mention how many miles are on your touring Z, but if it's been used hard, the brakes may be used up. The early OEM brake package was never very robust, and was upgraded with the late '06-08 models. Have you checked the wear limits on the current rotors and pads? If you don't know how to do this, have your dad show you how. It could explain severe grinding under heavy brake application
pads and rotors are all new. i just learned VDC and traction control are different. my thing is that when i go around a turn, and the back wheels lose traction with VDC enabled, the car starts to jerk and sounds like the brakes or some other component are grinding and getting stuck. i have a feeling it relates to the rear subframe being broke and the wheel just kind of flopping around. ill know for sure next week after the subframe is fixed.

its really hard to explain. i really would like to figure this out because im moving about 4 hours away and with my dad being my mechanic, im gonna be doing all the maintenance on the car and anything big would need to be done by him or someone else. id rather fix it now if possible.

its high miles at 170k .
Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Sound like you should get another car, doesnt sound safe to drive
Old 11-05-2018, 08:34 AM
xniz

Originally Posted by travlee
Sound like you should get another car, doesnt sound safe to drive
its fine as long as i keep VDC turned off
Old 11-05-2018, 09:12 AM
travlee
Master

Tire perm cambered in....cracked subframe. ...yeah its fine
Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 AM
xniz

Tire perm cambered in....cracked subframe. ...yeah its fine
Subframe being fixed as stated. before the subframe cracked, the car drove fine with the exception of the VDC locking up. Front tire camber is off probably because of a bent control arm which I havent bothered to fix because the camber was still in the green when it was put on the alignment machine. Its not enough to matter to me.

So.. no... I'm not getting rid of my car. Just trying to come up with ideas as to why the VDC is locking up.

Once the subframe is fixed, I'll just go back to driving it with VDC off until the car blows.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 AM
travlee
Master

Which prob wont be long. Dugan day is right around the corner
Old 11-05-2018, 11:37 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Subframe being fixed as stated. before the subframe cracked, the car drove fine with the exception of the VDC locking up. Front tire camber is off probably because of a bent control arm which I havent bothered to fix because the camber was still in the green when it was put on the alignment machine. Its not enough to matter to me.

So.. no... I'm not getting rid of my car. Just trying to come up with ideas as to why the VDC is locking up.

Once the subframe is fixed, I'll just go back to driving it with VDC off until the car blows.
Sounds like you have all the answers. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:10 PM
xniz

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Sounds like you have all the answers. Good luck!
lol no. just trying to see if anyone else had similar issues and what I could replace to fix it. ill just go with what one of the previous responders said and just unplug the VDC sensor.

this post was a waste of a thread. ill just keep googling.

if i really want to get it fixed, ill just pay someone else to figure it out. doesnt matter either way. I only need this car for another year and ill be financing a new 370z. just thought i could get some insight on the forums.

cheers
Old 11-05-2018, 12:16 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

pads and rotors are all new. i just learned VDC and traction control are different. my thing is that when i go around a turn, and the back wheels lose traction with VDC enabled, the car starts to jerk and sounds like the brakes or some other component are grinding and getting stuck. i have a feeling it relates to the rear subframe being broke and the wheel just kind of flopping around. ill know for sure next week after the subframe is fixed.

its really hard to explain. i really would like to figure this out because im moving about 4 hours away and with my dad being my mechanic, im gonna be doing all the maintenance on the car and anything big would need to be done by him or someone else. id rather fix it now if possible.

its high miles at 170k .
At 170K, there could be a number of things causing this "problem". But if you really understand how VDC works, it could be that you're simply getting too much oversteer and the system is activating to keep you off the curbs and outta the weeds!
Old 11-05-2018, 12:23 PM
xniz

Originally Posted by dkmura
At 170K, there could be a number of things causing this "problem". But if you really understand how VDC works, it could be that you're simply getting too much oversteer and the system is activating to keep you off the curbs and outta the weeds!
Hmm... Ill just have to do more research on VDC. ive went around a corner with bald tires and barely lose traction (on dry land) and it just feels like the front is locking up on me. in the rain (with new tires) it feels unsafe sometimes with the slightest bit of loss of traction.

Last edited by xniz; 11-05-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: more details
Old 11-05-2018, 12:50 PM
travlee
Master

What wheel and tirez sizes are you running?
Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 PM
xniz

What wheel and tirez sizes are you running?
Its the wheel and tire size that comes with the car. the tire sizes match the stickers in the door.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:22 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

my thing is that when i go around a turn, and the back wheels lose traction with VDC enabled....
Stop doing that.

Subframe being fixed as stated. before the subframe cracked, the car drove fine with the exception of the VDC locking up.
Wait... So you cracked the rear subframe? I mean, that's the only way you'd know it drove fine before. Like I said... Stop trying to drift on the street. You'll slide into fewer curbs that way.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:18 PM
xniz

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Stop doing that.

Wait... So you cracked the rear subframe? I mean, that's the only way you'd know it drove fine before. Like I said... Stop trying to drift on the street. You'll slide into fewer curbs that way.
When the car goes around a curve and it’s wet outside and the traction breaks , even the slightest , the VDC acts up. That’s not my driving..

I’ve never hit a curb . I baby this car far more than you’d think with the exception of an occasional slide in an empty parking lot. The car was previously wrecked. My dad said the frame was probably already cracked but from me driving it with tight coil overs, it caused it to actually break. Again, This has nothing to do with my driving.

rather than assuming that it’s my driving, you could actually give helpful tips .

this thread is pointless and I don’t even know why I keep coming back. Such a waste of time.

Im just going to unplug the VDC module.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM
travlee
Master

When the car goes around a curve and it’s wet outside and the traction breaks , even the slightest , the VDC acts up. That’s not my driving..

I’ve never hit a curb . I baby this car far more than you’d think with the exception of an occasional slide in an empty parking lot. The car was previously wrecked. My dad said the frame was probably already cracked but from me driving it with tight coil overs, it caused it to actually break. Again, This has nothing to do with my driving.

rather than assuming that it’s my driving, you could actually give helpful tips .

this thread is pointless and I don’t even know why I keep coming back. Such a waste of time.

Im just going to unplug the VDC module.

Thanks
helpful tip.....sell it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes locking up and grinding