Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New Stainless steel brake line rubbed against wheel. Do I need to replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 04:23 PM
LivingLikeLogan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stainless steel brake line rubbed against wheel. Do I need to replace it?

Hello, I just recently installed some Z1 Stainless Steel brake lines, after I installed them and drove my Z. I've noticed the driver side was rubbing against the wheel. It appeared to have rubbed off some of the coating off the line. A little bit of the Stainless steel line is exposed but there is no fraying or leaking. Can I re adjust the line and roll with it or do I need to replace it? Thanks!

Old 06-03-2024, 05:05 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,293 Likes on 896 Posts

First, you need to re-route the brake line so there's no chance of it (or its counterpart on the other side) making contact with the wheel again. Next, I'd suggest you simply replace the damaged brake line. No doubt it's compromised with the damage and you don't EVER want to find out what happens when the inner rubber liner bursts! Just my $0.02 as a longtime Z owner and racer. These are fast and heavy cars- a brake line may as well be fully functional.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:53 PM
icer5160

Received 422 Likes on 319 Posts

I know exactly what happened because the same thing happened to me. In my case I noticed the light rubbing very quickly because I park my Z in a parking garage everyday I go to work. The sound of the line making contact against the inner rim during tight turns was amplified thanks to the acoustics of the garage.

Although I concur with dkmura on principle. If the stainless braid is not damaged, it should be ok to roll with them for normal street use. I say this because I understand the rubbing was most likely very light and only during sharp turns, therefore the line was never kinked, overheated, or stretched. The inner lining and braid should still be in perfectly good shape, only the outer rubberized coating has been damaged.

But for peace of mind, I would replace them. The coating is there mostly to prevent corrosion and deterioration of the stainless braid. I doubt these are in any immediate danger of failing though, so you could run them for a while until you decide what to do.

I ended up switching out my Stoptech SS lines (basically same design as Z1) for Goodridge. I did this because the mounting and routing method Goodridge uses copies OEM and therefore has no chance of rubbing when installed properly. The Z1 and Stoptech lines use Slider Rings which cannot be made as secure, even when bookending with Zip-Ties, there's not a 100% guarantee the line won't slide around.

Cheers!
-Icer

Old 06-04-2024, 05:26 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 447 Likes on 363 Posts

Personally, I'd leave it, but if it needs to be disconnected to re-route and the replacement is cheap (under $20) then I'd just replace