Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Konis are here!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Gsedan35
All that because I asked a simple question about full soft on the rebound control. Your blowing rebound only control out of proportion. I've had Koni SA's before and I did not run them on full soft. I manuely searched BJ's post's on Koni's and found my answer, one BIG NEVER MIND.
Merely? Sure mate, sorry to waste your precious time reading so much. It must be a trial for you, I won't bother you again.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:04 PM
lawnmore

Default Adjustable on car?

I may have missed this, but are the shocks adjustable on the car? and if so how difficult is it?
Old 04-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Redfoot

Yes they are adjustable on the vehicle. Fronts have a removable **** that fits on a key from under the hood. Rears adjust with an allen wrench or pin within the wheel well. So the hardest part will be getting you arm up into the wheel well & turning the disk....
Old 04-07-2004, 10:43 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SF Bay Area Koni Install Friday

Originally posted by C Ray Z
I just got the call from my local Koni rep. Kraus Racing doing the install Friday and I have a Track day Monday at Thunderhill. I am excited to see the improvement. I have EVO front sway not rear sway. I run Autocross but find the balance is good with 265x35 x18 all around. I still don't have a way to get race tires to the track so I will run with my street tires. But that won't be too bad since they are 265x35x18 frint and 295x35x18 rear Yoko AVS sport. Will report results.

Ray

Can't wait to hear what you think. Thunderhill is awesome. Have fun.

Oh yeah, just drive on your race tires to the event. They'll wear much more on the track than they will on the way there. You know you want too.....

-D'oh!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:32 AM
JimProuty

Default Full Soft Settings

I got a reply from Gordon about how to set the shocks for "Full Soft", though they're shipped that way from the factory:

For the front, turn the **** the opposite direction of the firm arrow until you hit a stop.

For the rear, turn the adjustment dial from right to left until it does not move (DO NOT USE FORCE).

They should already be at this setting though from the factory.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Boomer

Default First Impressions

I promised a preliminary review and here it is:

From downtown OKC to I35 South is a mishmash of terrible surfaces. I couldn't tell much difference until I got on I35. The initial bump response was not as sharp, it seemed to be better damped to respond to the impact. As the pavement changed and the tires got warmer, I felt a better steering response into curves and a reduced wander due to wavy or rippled pavement. I expected this behavior and the shocks delivered it through better rebound control, I believe.

Upon arriving in my town, I filled the gas tank to full, from 3/8s before. Then I went back to I35 and drove farther south to some older roads that still get some heavy traffic and rode over patched, rutted and grainy surfaces. The difference was subtle, but it was better, judging from my backside. The difference is not dramatic, if you want that, get progressive springs too and you will have a big difference. Please understand my roads are awful and the Konis are VERY firm, not harsh, but you will feel the road. This is what I wanted and I think as they wear in, the Konis will be even better with more use. I'll try and do as much driving as I can in the next 2-3 weeks and report back on any further findings.

People who live in areas with better roads will see a bigger difference, I believe. BTW, the "Bounce" is gone on the stretch of I35 that was the biggest offender previously. I just realized I didn't feel it at all, so I was leaving it out of my analysis! What I was feeling on all the surfaces I drove on was simple bump deflection of a good shock/spring combo on a sports car driving over poor roads.

Boomer--my opinion, use or lose it. I don't care.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:19 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: First Impressions

Originally posted by Boomer
I promised a preliminary review and here it is:

From downtown OKC to I35 South is a mishmash of terrible surfaces. I couldn't tell much difference until I got on I35. The initial bump response was not as sharp, it seemed to be better damped to respond to the impact. As the pavement changed and the tires got warmer, I felt a better steering response into curves and a reduced wander due to wavy or rippled pavement. I expected this behavior and the shocks delivered it through better rebound control, I believe.

Upon arriving in my town, I filled the gas tank to full, from 3/8s before. Then I went back to I35 and drove farther south to some older roads that still get some heavy traffic and rode over patched, rutted and grainy surfaces. The difference was subtle, but it was better, judging from my backside. The difference is not dramatic, if you want that, get progressive springs too and you will have a big difference. Please understand my roads are awful and the Konis are VERY firm, not harsh, but you will feel the road. This is what I wanted and I think as they wear in, the Konis will be even better with more use. I'll try and do as much driving as I can in the next 2-3 weeks and report back on any further findings.

People who live in areas with better roads will see a bigger difference, I believe. BTW, the "Bounce" is gone on the stretch of I35 that was the biggest offender previously. I just realized I didn't feel it at all, so I was leaving it out of my analysis! What I was feeling on all the surfaces I drove on was simple bump deflection of a good shock/spring combo on a sports car driving over poor roads.

Boomer--my opinion, use or lose it. I don't care.
So Keith will you be keeping the Z? Did we make the right call? Thanks for your unbiased opinion.

Last edited by jmark; 04-08-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: First Impressions

Originally posted by jmark
So Keith will you be keeping the Z? Did we make the right call? Thanks for your unbiased opinion.
I will be keeping the Z and I think we made the right call. My installer re-adjusted the front toe slightly to center the steering wheel after the install, so I will continue to monitor the alignment every 3-4000 miles for any toe problems. I won't pretend to assure others that Konis are the Holy Grail, it seems to have worked for me since the bounce is gone.

Some may remember we made other changes before this. 1. A good alignment; 2. Different tires; and 3. Now new shocks. If the Konis hold up to my expectations, Koni is a highly respected manufacturer of dampers for all kinds of applications, so I think their product will do so, then we can enjoy our cars using sensible maintenance for a long time.

Boomer--my unbiased opinion, yeah, Riiiggghhhttt!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:46 PM
jmark

Boomer,

Thanks. If the Konis made you happy I can't wait to get my set installed. No more bounce is what I wanted to hear! Don't forget the Konis have a lifetime warranty too. Glad things finally worked out for you!
Old 04-08-2004, 03:47 PM
happypants

I talked to one of the Koni road test engineers today. Here's some noteworthy comments:

- Over their 20 mile test loop, the stock Z has the worst suspension compared to all the cars he's tested. Mostly as a result of the cost cutting Nissan did with the stock shocks.
- Better turn-in response with the Koni's.
- Full soft is how the shocks should be set, and go from there if you want a firmer ride.
- Later shipments of the shocks will have better packaging.

I will be getting my Konis installed Sat, I'll post my impressions Sat night. I really hope these shocks get rid of the 'jitteryness" the car currently has, along with the bounce.

I also have 18" wheels vs. the 17" wheels Boomer has on his car, so there may be more or less correction of the stock Z issues.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM
jmark

Originally posted by happypants
I talked to one of the Koni road test engineers today. Here's some noteworthy comments:

- Over their 20 mile test loop, the stock Z has the worst suspension compared to all the cars he's tested. Mostly as a result of the cost cutting Nissan did with the stock shocks.
- Better turn-in response with the Koni's.
- Full soft is how the shocks should be set, and go from there if you want a firmer ride.
- Later shipments of the shocks will have better packaging.

I will be getting my Konis installed Sat, I'll post my impressions Sat night. I really hope these shocks get rid of the 'jitteryness" the car currently has, along with the bounce.

I also have 18" wheels vs. the 17" wheels Boomer has on his car, so there may be more or less correction of the stock Z issues.
Good stuff. Hope the shocks work for you too & look forward to your report. I can't get mine installed till May 15.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:57 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Summer 2004 -- Sport Z Magazine

Full article on Koni comming up.

The summer issue of Sport Z Magazine will be about 10 days early. National Z Car Convention Special.

Bob
Old 04-08-2004, 04:00 PM
jmark

Default Re: Summer 2004 -- Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by publisher
Full article on Koni comming up.

The summer issue of Sport Z Magazine will be about 10 days early. National Z Car Convention Special.

Bob
Bob,

Did you test the 350Z with the Konis? I am scheduled for BJ to install them on May 15 at his shop. From the comments so far I think I made the right choice. I'll probably add the 350Evo sways too.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:32 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Re: Summer 2004 -- Sport Z Magazine

Bob,

Did you test the 350Z with the Konis? I am scheduled for BJ to install them on May 15 at his shop. From the comments so far I think I made the right choice. I'll probably add the 350Evo sways too.
Koni -- installed on 350Z Track.

"Looking for a mod that offers lots of function, but very little bling? Koni may have exactly what you’re looking for."

David Muramoto
Sport Z Magazine Motorsport Editor

Bob
Old 04-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Boomer

Boomer,

Thanks. If the Konis made you happy I can't wait to get my set installed. No more bounce is what I wanted to hear! Don't forget the Konis have a lifetime warranty too. Glad things finally worked out for you!
Thanks go to you for working closely with BJ and Gordon at Koni to get our wishes heard. I think we would still be waiting w/o your contributions, Mark.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
jmark

Originally posted by Boomer
Thanks go to you for working closely with BJ and Gordon at Koni to get our wishes heard. I think we would still be waiting w/o your contributions, Mark.
Don't think I did anything but bug Gordon to death. I am just glad the Konis were what they were billed to be. Thanks to BJ for the pricing & service.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:55 PM
jmark

Default Re: Re: Re: Summer 2004 -- Sport Z Magazine

"Looking for a mod that offers lots of function, but very little bling? Koni may have exactly what you’re looking for."

David Muramoto

Bob
I wondered if David had a hand in this! I have been asking him what he thought of the Koni + 350Evo sway combo. Look forward to his expert opinion.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:12 AM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe these will be my first mod.

Thanks Boomer, for your initial impressions!

-D'oh!
Old 04-09-2004, 11:47 AM
jmark

Default Re: Re: Re: Summer 2004 -- Sport Z Magazine

David Muramoto

Bob
Old 04-09-2004, 12:28 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Summer 2004 -- Sport Z Magazine

I wondered if David had a hand in this! I have been asking him what he thought of the Koni + 350Evo sway combo. Look forward to his expert opinion.
David owns the summer issue. He's everywhere! Wait'll you see how he tickles the heel-and-toe downshifting article. Outstanding!

Bob

Quick Reply: Konis are here!!!!