Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Konis are here!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Redfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Konis are here!!!!

Finally! Brown delivered a set of Koni shocks today.

Thanks 350EVO.COM / dwnshft

unfortunately no springs so the installation delay continues.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:36 PM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redfoot,

Can't wait to hear your report. I'll be getting mine installed in May. Who will be first to give a Koni report?

Last edited by jmark; 04-02-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:24 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What springs are you using, footsy?

And are you doing the mods to eliminate bounce/harsh ride?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:53 PM
happypants

Originally posted by jmark
Redfoot,

Can't wait to hear your report. I'll be getting mine installed in May. Who will be first to give a Koni report?
I plan to either have the shocks installed or do it myself, as soon as I get the shocks. I'm debating spending $175 to have the shocks installed vs. do it myself. Depends how lazy I am I guess...

I'll post a report whether or not I'm the first to get it done
Old 04-02-2004, 04:43 PM
drew703

Cant wait to hear how they are!

So I take it this was just the pre-order Koni's that dwnshft had back from January right?

Is there any info on the when Koni's will be available for regular purchase? Even though www.shox.com advertises them, when i called a rep from the site, they actually are NOT available yet, and he did not even have a tentative release date

-drew
Old 04-02-2004, 05:51 PM
jmark

Originally posted by drew703
Cant wait to hear how they are!

So I take it this was just the pre-order Koni's that dwnshft had back from January right?

Is there any info on the when Koni's will be available for regular purchase? Even though www.shox.com advertises them, when i called a rep from the site, they actually are NOT available yet, and he did not even have a tentative release date

-drew
Yes these are some of his first preorder batch.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Redfoot

yes this was the preorder. got the whole package from 350EVO.com so I am using the Eibach Pro kit (lowered 1"). their purpose is indeed to take care of the bounce and to improve all around handling including the occasional track weekend use. I would guess that these would be in regular stock in the next month or so, but really, i don't have a clue.

Last edited by Redfoot; 04-02-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Redfoot

Default photo attached

lets see if this gets attached this time..

guess it doesn't like my photo...

Last edited by Redfoot; 04-02-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:07 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Thanks, foots. keep us posted on what ya think after installation.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:17 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by happypants
I plan to either have the shocks installed or do it myself, as soon as I get the shocks. I'm debating spending $175 to have the shocks installed vs. do it myself. Depends how lazy I am I guess...

I'll post a report whether or not I'm the first to get it done
My nissan dealer quoted me 9 hours at $85 an hour for installation. Now I wonder do I look like an idiot so he feel comfortable to make me such an offers?
Old 04-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Mr. Motion

Default Re: photo attached

Originally posted by Redfoot
lets see if this gets attached this time..

guess it doesn't like my photo...
Do you know if the car will need to be re-aligned after you install the struts? I know that some cars do but not sure about this one. Looks pretty simple as a DIY project.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:45 PM
jmark

Default Re: Re: photo attached

Originally posted by Mr. Motion
Do you know if the car will need to be re-aligned after you install the struts? I know that some cars do but not sure about this one. Looks pretty simple as a DIY project.
I am having Dwnshift's shop install mine. As part of the labor charge he quoted me a front end alignment.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:20 PM
happypants

I just got the shocks today. I was excited until I saw the outer box which contained the three shock packages was damaged, had a hole in one side. With trepidation, I opened it up to see how the shocks were packed.

All three Koni boxes were sealed with the original seals, but two of the three had puncture holes.

The two longer shock boxes both had holes in them caused by no materials to hold the shocks in place, thus letting the shocks roll around the boxes. Both shocks have a part of the shock on the tube that was bent, looks like a bracket to hold brake lines or some other type of cable. The shocks tubes aren't leaking. Some of the paint is chipped off one of the shocks.

The other box, which holds two struts, wasn't damaged, but the styrofoam used to hold the top ends of the struts was nowhere near enough to hold them in place. And the cardboard inside the box to hold the tubes was also smashed.

Essentially, this would be like buying a part off of ebay and the part just thrown in the box with no padding. What a **** poor job of protecting these shocks!! I plan to let Koni know about this, pretty sad considering their history.

I got photos, which will be sending to BJZ soon. I'm not blaming 350EVO for this, just UPS and Koni.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:30 PM
happypants

Default Re: Re: photo attached

Originally posted by Mr. Motion
I was told by the guy who may do the shocks for me that an alignment is not required as long as you don't change the springs. For example, replacing stock springs with Eibach springs because the ride height is lowered around 1". I believe an alignment is also needed with S-Tune suspension (shocks & springs).

Some other people have documented the shock/strut replacement. It looks pretty easy.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I have also heard that anytime you mess with suspensions, it's a good idea to do alignment... maybe it's not mandatory, but "good idea".
Old 04-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Redfoot

Yea the packaging sucks. Koni should be shot for such a **** poor job. Nothing bent/broken, just missing paint. The brackets on the side of the front set are supposed to be at an angle. Sat down today to try to figure out initial settings, I'm not one for reading to many instructions but all there is are pictograms, I'll be damned if they make much sense to me, and I'm Dutch. As far as an alignment goes I'll drive it for a short while and see how things go, but it will be done in the near future.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:02 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Koni's Tracking Number

Eric Hu eric@esports.com has a tracking number for the Koni's coming out Atlanta ..

We hope to have a Set on one of the Test Mules by this Weekend.

Of the five set's I think Eric has two sets for California not purchased..

I'll go with my Installer... Heh ! to install full soft..

Cheers Amy -
Old 04-06-2004, 02:26 AM
jmark

Who will have the Konis installed first????? My money is on Boomer or Amy.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Mr. Motion

Originally posted by jmark
Who will have the Konis installed first????? My money is on Boomer or Amy.
I intend to do the installation myself this weekend. I agree, the packaging sucks. The boxes were full of holes. No apparent damage to the shocks/struts themselves, but there's a lot of scratches and missing paint. Certainly not what I expected after paying $600+. Word to the wise - the top mounts of the rear shocks are removed through the wheel wells - there is no access to the shock tower through the rear sway bar. Found out the hard way after removing all of the plastic moulding!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:21 AM
Mr. Motion

Originally posted by Redfoot
Yea the packaging sucks. Koni should be shot for such a **** poor job. Nothing bent/broken, just missing paint. The brackets on the side of the front set are supposed to be at an angle. Sat down today to try to figure out initial settings, I'm not one for reading to many instructions but all there is are pictograms, I'll be damned if they make much sense to me, and I'm Dutch. As far as an alignment goes I'll drive it for a short while and see how things go, but it will be done in the near future.
You're right - the instructions suck. What the heck does Max.8 mean - 8 turns counterclockwise? Sure could use some written instructions!

Quick Reply: Konis are here!!!!