Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Anyone considering StopTech's please read

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 02:27 PM
J Ritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone considering StopTech's please read

It has been brought to my attention that Hopup Racing has been giving lowball quotes out on our brake kits. I want to be very clear that Hopup Racing is NOT an authorized StopTech reseller. Any products bought through them will NOT receive any technical or warranty support by StopTech. Essentially, if you have any problems, questions, etc., you will be completely on your own. My advice: stick with an authorized reseller with a good reputation. A number of them frequent this board. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM
maxipad96

If they aren't an authorized seller, how did they get ahold of your brakes to sell?
Old 07-06-2004, 06:19 PM
fxg35rida

Default Re: Anyone considering StopTech's please read

Is there any other way to brake in the Kit aside from doing that 60-10mph cycle....What If I get a speeding ticket on a residential area. Are you gonna be responsible for it?!?!?!?...lol!! j/k but, For reals though..I am loving your product..attached is a pix of my IP sedan with the 13.1" front kit. BTW, are they gonna come out with the rear 13.1" kit anytime soon?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone considering StopTech's please read-1.jpg  
Old 07-06-2004, 09:21 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a shame as Hop Up tends to give EXCEPTIONAL service...

Maybe you guys need to make sure they are authorized, as many of us tend to make purchases through them.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Rayden2001

Default Re: Anyone considering StopTech's please read

Originally posted by J Ritt
It has been brought to my attention that Hopup Racing has been giving lowball quotes out on our brake kits. I want to be very clear that Hopup Racing is NOT an authorized StopTech reseller. Any products bought through them will NOT receive any technical or warranty support by StopTech. Essentially, if you have any problems, questions, etc., you will be completely on your own. My advice: stick with an authorized reseller with a good reputation. A number of them frequent this board. Thanks.
Hopup racing has been awesome, I never had a problem with them They've helped me a few times.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

Same here. got my B&G springs and hotchkis sways from them and they were way cool.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:32 PM
G Monster
Banned

This is exactly the type of strongarm tactics that will ensure Stoptech continues to have a profit healthy future. (not being sarcastic) Great products, BTW.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:29 AM
J Ritt

I'll clear a few things up for you guys.

1. I was contacted by multiple individuals claiming that Hopup is heavily discounting our prices. These prices are posted on their website. The individuals who contacted me wanted to know whether the deal is legit or not.

At this point, the deal is not legit. Our policy is that our resellers are not allowed to advertise below list price. Hopup is in violation of this policy. They are also using artwork and logos of ours on their website without permission. This is a copyright violation. I contacted them a month ago, and notified them that they are in violation of our policies. I also offered them a chance to discuss becoming an authorized reseller. They did nothing about it. I called them again yeseterday, and I haven't heard anything back from them. Basically, they are ignoring my offers to discuss becoming a reseller. I have no idea how they treat their customers, and I have nothing against them personally. They may be the best reseller in the world, but I won't know that until they are qualified as a reseller. Until that time, I'm trying to protect my end users (you guys) and my authorized resellers. I don't want someone to buy our product from an unauthorized channel, have a random problem, and blame us for not helping them. This does and has happened in the past. It sucks for us, and it sucks even more for the end user who is essentially rendered helpless. Also, it's not fair to our current resellers to have someone 'whoring out' our product at a cheap price. It takes away from our current resellers' ability to make a sale in the market, based on the other services that they can provide. We do not want our product sold on price. We want quality resellers that can install and educate people about our products, provide technical assistance, etc.

2. Hopup is able to buy from any of our current authorized resellers without our knowledge. That's how they can get our product.

Thanks for the compliments on our products!

As I said, I don't have anything against them personally. Our policies are being violated, and it's my job to enforce those policies. Being a long time member of this community, I just don't want anyone getting screwed...bottom line...get it?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:53 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good diplomatic response Jeff...
Old 07-07-2004, 06:38 PM
SlamMan

What exactly is the point of not allowing your "authorized" dealers to sell below list?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:40 PM
basam350z

Blah Blah Blah, all I heard was cheap prices!!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:56 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought from Hop Up Racing many times. Those guys are great.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:03 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SlamMan
What exactly is the point of not allowing your "authorized" dealers to sell below list?
I don't think that's quite what he said.

And even so, StopTech's tech support is worth every penny. I can't tell you how much time they've taken to answer every one of my nit-picky questions before, during, and after the sale.

Last edited by GaryM05; 07-07-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:46 AM
lowrider

Damn, I hate it when a manufacturer imposes this kind of a policy on a reseller. To me, it's nothing but price fixing. Let the reseller and the market determine the price, not the manufacturer. When I see this kind of stuff, I try and boycott the product. JMO.

Lou
Old 07-08-2004, 05:30 AM
stx

I don't think the problem is that they are discounting the brake kits. The problem is that they are advertising the discounted price. If you advertise the discounted price, you will steal the customers from businesses that don't advertise the discounts. I don't think the price sold to the consumer really matters as long as Stoptech gets paid for their kits. I think Stoptech just wants all there resellers to have a fair shot at selling their products.

Also, since Hopup is not a reseller you don't know how they got the Stoptech products in the first place. They could be used brake kits that are cleaned up and resold to their customers.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Road Warrior

Originally posted by stx
I don't think the problem is that they are discounting the brake kits. The problem is that they are advertising the discounted price. If you advertise the discounted price, you will steal the customers from businesses that don't advertise the discounts. I don't think the price sold to the consumer really matters as long as Stoptech gets paid for their kits. I think Stoptech just wants all there resellers to have a fair shot at selling their products.

Also, since Hopup is not a reseller you don't know how they got the Stoptech products in the first place. They could be used brake kits that are cleaned up and resold to their customers.
i call that a good deal....same product at a lower price....i think stoptech wants to make more money and thats why they care so much. stoptech should stand behind their product no matter who sells it or at what price...if hopup is buying from stoptech authorized resellers than the customer should be able to go through hopup for the warranty
Old 07-08-2004, 07:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by stx

In my recent transactions and conversations with Hopup I can pretty much assure you that they are not selling used parts. I got the cheapest price I could find on my springs and sways and both of those were next day aired from the B&G office in San Diego and from Hotchkis direct.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:44 AM
stx

Originally posted by Road Warrior
i call that a good deal....same product at a lower price....i think stoptech wants to make more money and thats why they care so much. stoptech should stand behind their product no matter who sells it or at what price...if hopup is buying from stoptech authorized resellers than the customer should be able to go through hopup for the warranty
I agree it is a good deal. My point is that I bought my kit from a company that listed the kit at list price but sold me the kit at a discounted price also. Had I seen the Hopup website before I bought my kit I would have bought the kit from them instead just because the price was listed lower on their website. Even though I bought my kit for the same price I wouldn't have know that by looking at the websites.

In my recent transactions and conversations with Hopup I can pretty much assure you that they are not selling used parts. I got the cheapest price I could find on my springs and sways and both of those were next day aired from the B&G office in San Diego and from Hotchkis direct.
I am not saying the parts are actually used. I am saying you know they are not coming directly from Stoptech they are coming from a middle man. The middle man would have to be responsible for warranty because Stoptech can't gurantee the products were in good condition when they are shipped to you.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:52 AM
wren57
Banned

There isn't anything wrong with Hopup selling the brakes at the lower price; just don't expect any support from StopTech...
Old 07-08-2004, 06:39 PM
tylerdurden

Sad, that the mark-up is so high on these brakes, that they can be sold below list price and a healthy profit still get turned.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering StopTech's please read