Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hotchkis vs. Nismo sways - which is better??? Why??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Mbern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotchkis vs. Nismo sways - which is better??? Why??

Any opinion on which is better? stiffer? Street pricing? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 10-11-2004, 02:36 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Nismo sways this weekend - - they transform the OEM suspension with crisper turn in, less body roll and the push seems to be almost gone - - I'm very happy - - easy install at home with jack stands - - I got mine from Performance Nissan for $370 - - for street use IMO, you can't beat them.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:14 AM
ZinMiami

For the price of the Nismo sways you can get the Hotchkis TVS stage 1 suspension kit as I did. I paid $360 shipped from GSC motosports, a sponsor of this sight by the way. It has the sways plus springs. Just installed it Sunday and initial impressions are that it has improved not only handling but has given the car a better quality ride as well. Rear hop/bounce is gone! If you go with sways only, it's even cheaper. Call Gary at GSC and let him explain the Hotchkis advantages. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:34 AM
Vash350Z

The hotchkis setup is more aggressive i beleive and it is adjustable.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:04 AM
KShep

Hotchkis sways were $260 shipped at GSC Motorsports...sponsor here. Three adjustment holes front and rear. Only had them on the car a short time...decreased body roll for sure.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Sz28r
I installed the Nismo sways this weekend - - they transform the OEM suspension with crisper turn in, less body roll and the push seems to be almost gone - - I'm very happy - - easy install at home with jack stands - - I got mine from Performance Nissan for $370 - - for street use IMO, you can't beat them.
Myth:

"Adjustable sway bars are only for people that track their cars"

Reality:

We all enjoy our cars and we all explore handling limit's outside of a race track. Sway bars are tools to fine tune how a car behaves at the limit of adheasion, no matter what road you happen to be on. Adjustable sway bars make that fine tuning a simple reality so anyone that can turn a wrench can make their car behave in a manner that allow's their own talents to enjoy in the best possible manner. Non adjustable bars don't offer that nor to they allow you to compinsate when you change your susepenision setup. I can name more then one coilover that would cause you to want more rear bar stiffness, or to drop front bar stiffness.

No matter what, ALL after market sway bars will improve the Z.

However it's impossible to truely realize what the product is ment to offer as a improving tool if it's fixed/non adjustable. Their's no reason why if you have a adversion to tinkering that you can't buy a adjustable bar, install it using what are popular settings and forget about them. Should you wish for more from the car, do some simple testing and change the settings. Should you alter the other oem suspension parts, your already have the tool to keep the cars behavior acting like you like it.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:35 AM
GregGSC

I like the hotchkis bars the best. You can't beat the weight of the bars and the stiffness is great! When considering your suspension if you are planning a coil over conversion the sway bars and your choice of coilovers is a great setup. But keep in mind the fact that you can only lower the Z a little less than an inch with out running into camber problems do to lack of adjustment in the factory setup. If you have already purchased tein, HR, or Eibach springs then a set of the hotchkis bars and koni yellow shocks seam to work very well to smooth out the ride.

If your suspension is stock and your looking to improve road feel, and remove the rear bounce of the stock spring/ shock combo go with the Hotchkis springs and sway bars or the TVS stage 1 kit. The Hotchkis springs lower the rear spring rate and remove the bounce, while the sway bars reduce body roll significantly. They also offer the best tire ware of any lowering springs on the market. The TVS kit is by far the best setup for street/autocross and light track weekends.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Sz28r

The post about the need for a "fix" with the hotchkis sways convinced me to buy the Nismo - - adjustability for street use is overkill IMO - -

Read the post "Possible Hotchkis Sway Bar fix" for more info. Sounds like maybe the collars aren't needed for street use - I just didn't want to mess with it and decided to buy the sways Nissan designed for the 350Z - - to each their own - - good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by Sz28r; 10-11-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As anything in life sometimes people do not agree, nothing personel.

Why would anyone buy aftermarket sway bars if they have no intention of pushing the cars handling? Why would they consider the mod? They are not doing it to list in their sig here. Or are we saying no one on this board has every explored the limit of adheasion, just not our collective thing? With the people that choose to be members here, it's pretty safe to say most of us drive these cars off the track on public roads in a fashion where we would benefit from adjustable bars by reaching the handling limits or exploring them. Don't explore that, then non adjustable bars make sense. Again sway bars are ment to fine tune, you can't do that fine tuning with a fixed bar, that has nothing to do with tracking, has to do with making your car behave for you and your talents now and in the future.

Additionally, deep inside the Nismo catalog they list the 350Z S-tune bar specs in torsional rigidity.

Nismo Sway Bar:
F: 36mm, hollow, 23.2 kg/mm
R: 22.2mm, hollow, 6.7 kg/mm

Translating that to lbs,
F: 1299lbs
R: 375lbs

Oem
Front 1100lbs
Rear 380lbs

Now compare to EVO350 (specs from front bar are now higher as this development front bar was revised upwards when production started)

The 350EVO front bar
1010 lbs soft
1225 lbs med
1460 lbs hard

The 350EVO rear is 23mm solid
370 lbs soft
475 lbs med
580 lbs hard

One can see how adjustable bars can be used to effect actual change. EVO350 specs are just but one example, I'll ad that they are priced within a few dollar's of the Nimso bar set too.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Sz28r

Great info - - but as I mentioned - to each their own - - I've had adjustable sways on race cars before - once you find a setting that works for you - they stay there - - I doubt anybody uses our Z's to the fullest potential on the street - - - but if that's your thing, have at it - - - all I was trying to offer was that the Nismo sways are an improvement over the OEM bars.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Mbern

Gents, thanks for all the good advise. I am probably twice the average age on this board, buy I'm very immature for my age.

I have an 03 G35 sedan 6mt. I use the car daily for hauling customers, wife, and kids so I won't likely install stiff springs. I also go to driving schools a few times a year. I'll never be the fastest guy on the track, but I do enjoy the look I sometimes get when I pass a much higher HP car. The car has a StopTech front BBK, and I usually run PF97 pads and Michelin Cup track tires at the track. The G35 does remarkably well considering the people who primarily buy them (old, immature guys...).

I would be happy with the Nismo’s as long as they provide a noticeable improvement over stock without adding weight. One of the above posts notes that the difference from stock to Nismo might not be that great. Since they are not adjustable, I'd want to know the tuning of the bars supports a neutral at-limit handling characteristic. Everyone I know who has Hotchkis is also happy. I’m confident that they are both good. I am leaning towards the Nismos simply to keep the dealer off my back when I bring the car in with a problem after a few hundred track miles. But if the really are not much stiffer than stock, I will have to buy Hotchkis or 350evo sways.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike
Old 10-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Sz28r

All I know is that the Nismo sways are noticeably better than the stock sways - - I'm with you Mbern - been there, done that, with all of the adjustability - I decided to let Nismo do the adjusting for me - - and I'm very happy with my choice - - everybody has stated very good reasons for their choices - - to each their own, enjoy and have fun.

Steve
Old 10-12-2004, 10:59 AM
ZinMiami

Originally posted by Mbern
Gents, thanks for all the good advise. I am probably twice the average age on this board, buy I'm very immature for my age.

I have an 03 G35 sedan 6mt. I use the car daily for hauling customers, wife, and kids so I won't likely install stiff springs. I also go to driving schools a few times a year. I'll never be the fastest guy on the track, but I do enjoy the look I sometimes get when I pass a much higher HP car. The car has a StopTech front BBK, and I usually run PF97 pads and Michelin Cup track tires at the track. The G35 does remarkably well considering the people who primarily buy them (old, immature guys...).

I would be happy with the Nismo’s as long as they provide a noticeable improvement over stock without adding weight. One of the above posts notes that the difference from stock to Nismo might not be that great. Since they are not adjustable, I'd want to know the tuning of the bars supports a neutral at-limit handling characteristic. Everyone I know who has Hotchkis is also happy. I’m confident that they are both good. I am leaning towards the Nismos simply to keep the dealer off my back when I bring the car in with a problem after a few hundred track miles. But if the really are not much stiffer than stock, I will have to buy Hotchkis or 350evo sways.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike
From personal experience go with the Hotchkis. Better specs, cheaper and you have the adjustability if you desire it. If not install using the supplied recommended settings and enjoy. Give Greg at GSC a call. Talk to him and you will decide on the Hotchkis. He is knowledgable in the product and will explain why the Hotchkis TVS kit is the way to go.

Good Luck and enjoy................