Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

suspension expert please come in

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
GY-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension expert please come in

i have a data of a damper's rebound and compression #.
unfortunatly, i have no idea if this is stiff or soft .
so if anyone have experience with this, plase take a look and tell me .
¢Ô¢à¢Ý¢Ü¢â
stiffest middium soft
¢à¢Ó¢Ð 285.7 260.7 233.2
¢Ñ¢Ý¢Û¢Þ 148.5 138.3 127.6

Rear stiffest middium soft
REB 186.2 178.6 155.1
COMP 87.8 81.6 74.0

thanks ppl.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:55 PM
GY-Z

and forgot the unit .
the unit is (¢ó¢ï¢î¡B¢¯¡D¢²¢õ¡þ¢û)
Old 10-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: suspension expert please come in

Originally posted by GY-Z
i have a data of a damper's rebound and compression #.
unfortunatly, i have no idea if this is stiff or soft .
so if anyone have experience with this, plase take a look and tell me .
¢Ô¢à¢Ý¢Ü¢â
stiffest middium soft
¢à¢Ó¢Ð 285.7 260.7 233.2
¢Ñ¢Ý¢Û¢Þ 148.5 138.3 127.6

Rear stiffest middium soft
REB 186.2 178.6 155.1
COMP 87.8 81.6 74.0

thanks ppl.
On the rear's your rebound dampning would not be higher then the compression dampning, should be flip flopped.

Looking at the specs I'm inclinded to say they are not stiff. Years ago, I pulled Koni's off the car I was driving at the time since they were not cutting it and installed revalved Bilstein shocks instead, I ran them with 300/130 front and 160/80 rear (comp/reb) with rather mild spring rates of 265/165. And that setup was on the mild side of things, but performed very well.

Different manufactuers use differing measuring standards to measure their dampner performance. For instance Koni and Bilstein are totally different. So the specs you posted above may be on a totally different scale. And we have no idea what the maker of those dampners designed them to run with spring rate wise. In Japan you can pick up a dealer installed optional Bilstien shock and spring system. Nissan was kind enough to not only show the spring rates, but also gives the compression and rebound specs, plus the measuring system used to get the dampning specs.

297/347
Front:250/160
Rear: 130/100
0.3m/s (measuring system)

Can you post a link to where on the web the specs you posted are listed? What make and model are the dampners?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:34 PM
GY-Z

its ohlins street dampner for 350z/z33.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Gsedan35

Ok Ohlins, I tried to get info from their web site, no dice. I even just tried to call them, got voice mail. They don't even list much of any application for Nissan's. In looking around the net all I could find is a Impul setup made by ohlins that sell's in $3k range, I take it that's what your looking at, correct? If that is the product, it makes perfect sense for Impul to request specs that are more comfort driven then performance driven. If your more into performance and given the price point range I highly recommend that you seriously pit the upcoming Moton club sport system againt anything trying to swim at the top of the suspension food chain. Both companies have a awesome reputation, but no matter, alway's inform yourself when making decisions on suspensions and do not fall into a trance over brand name alone. Still I'm curious to chat with a Ohlins tech and ask about what they make for the Z33 and run the numbers listed above by the tech and see what happens. It is entirely possible that Ohlins will not take about specs for a product they make on behalf of someone else, that is if were talking about the Impul ohlins.

USA
Öhlins USA Inc.
703-C Old Spartanburg Road
Hendersonville, N.C. 28792
Tel. +1 828 692 4525
Fax. +1 828 692 0595
E-mail: jeff.reid@ohlinsusa.com

http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop....ird=Suspension

www.ohlins.com

Notice that impal lists them (ohlins) under skyline applications, weird that it does not show a fairlady app
http://www.impul.co.jp/products/SA.htm

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Here's a really good read about the Moton's
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/moton.html

http://www.motonsuspension.com/start.htm

Contact info,
5174 Performance Drive
Suite A
Cumming, GA 30040
U.S.A.
Tel: (770)886 8777
Fax: (770)886 8776
E-Mail: motonusa@bellsouth.net
Old 10-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Gsedan35

Just got off the phone with Lex at Moton, he aggress that without knowing the scale that the above compression and rebound specs are measured by that it's not really possible to draw a conclusion on.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Gsedan35

Well I just got off the phone with Ohlins, here's what I found out.

1. They do not presently offer any Z33 shock or coilover

2. The Impul shock and coilover is a system is manufactured by a Japaneese maker that is liscened to use the Ohlins name on it, it is not technically a Ohlins product in the true sense of the word. And just like I thought, as such they have Zero info on them.

3. It is impossible to say that the compression and rebound specs mean without knowing the specs by which they are measured. He did go on to say that Ohlins north america rarely imports products from Japan because they are normally spec'd extreamly stiff.

4. They are looking to offer Z33 products, but not any time soon, maybe in a year or two.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:57 PM
GY-Z

Default Gsedan35

thanks men, you've been lots of help.
just to clearfy it, the coilover is made by ohlins japan. and only can be imported from ohlins japan.
they promoted this coilover kit as a "street setup" for 350z/z33, thats why i want to have an idea on how good is the street setup do on truck b4 i put down those kinds of cash.

about motons, i have put some seirous thought into the current modle that they offer to 350z.i think 350evo carries it.
i personally dont think i'll be able to get the full benifit from the moton setup they have for 350z, since my driving skill is not on that kind of level(to be honest with you, i dont think there are lots of ppl out there can really have the full befinifit from it.)so why bother putting up an expensive coilover that is really too "superior" for you? no offeneds to anyone, its just what i thought .so what i am looking now is a set of coilover that'll perform good on my level, with a price range around 3k.
i am currently also taking into consideration on zeal v6 with a harder spring rate of 12kg/mm front and 10kg/mm rear.so any openion on this?

about the motons new molde for 350z/z33, i couldnt find any info on the website u showed. so if u can be more specific i'll be really apprecaite!
thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 11:13 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that you're talking SERIOUS coil-overs......has anyone tried the TrueChoice Phase 3 Koni's?

Performance Nissan now uses their ultra light aluminum version on their GA Z, replacing their Motons.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:35 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by EnthuZ
Now that you're talking SERIOUS coil-overs......has anyone tried the TrueChoice Phase 3 Koni's?

Performance Nissan now uses their ultra light aluminum version on their GA Z, replacing their Motons.
any info on this new koni's?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:50 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Here is a pic I took at Mid-Ohio. The black ones are the trick Al 4 way adj race shocks. The blue are the 2 way adj.
Attached Thumbnails suspension expert please come in-mo-8-20-04-1-trick-koni-shocks.jpg  
Old 10-05-2004, 11:58 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by EnthuZ
Here is a pic I took at Mid-Ohio. The black ones are the trick Al 4 way adj race shocks. The blue are the 2 way adj.
spec and price?

thanks btw!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:58 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Here is TrueChoice's phone #: 800-388-8783

Or: www.truechoice.com

Not sure if they are available yet......but they should be soon.
Attached Thumbnails suspension expert please come in-mo-8-20-04-7-trick-koni-shocks-sign.jpg  
Old 10-07-2004, 05:38 PM
ALong

GYZ,
you should wait until I receive my JRZ's, should be arriving any day now. The JRZ's can be valved anyway you want and are both rebound and compression adjustable.

Before we went with JRZ we talked with Ohlins and they were not in a hurry to produce something for the 350Z, then we talked with Moton, Moton has shocks with remote resevoirs but for SCCA T2 you can only use a shock without remote resevoir and they did not have plans to make anything soon without the remote resevoir, Lex at Moton sees a huge market for this type of shock in the US but Moton in Europe sees it as a low priority at this point (unfortunately for us). JRZ did not have an application at the time but said they would make one if we provided the OEM shocks for them to get dimmesions off of, so off went the shocks to Holland.

As soon as I receive them I will let you know, maybe you can make a trip down to Seattle to look at them and check the car out.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:12 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by ALong
GYZ,
you should wait until I receive my JRZ's, should be arriving any day now. The JRZ's can be valved anyway you want and are both rebound and compression adjustable.

Before we went with JRZ we talked with Ohlins and they were not in a hurry to produce something for the 350Z, then we talked with Moton, Moton has shocks with remote resevoirs but for SCCA T2 you can only use a shock without remote resevoir and they did not have plans to make anything soon without the remote resevoir, Lex at Moton sees a huge market for this type of shock in the US but Moton in Europe sees it as a low priority at this point (unfortunately for us). JRZ did not have an application at the time but said they would make one if we provided the OEM shocks for them to get dimmesions off of, so off went the shocks to Holland.

As soon as I receive them I will let you know, maybe you can make a trip down to Seattle to look at them and check the car out.
that'd be great men, plz pm me after u recived it, i'll make a trip down to seattle(i just got back from pacific raceway few days ago.. )and if u dont mind, i would like to seat in the car and feel the dampner myself.
thanks men!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:34 AM
daveh

I have been in touch with truechoice for a few weeks now. Basically all they're waiting on is the collar for the rear spring perch to arrive. Everything else is ready to go.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:08 PM
bwzabodyn

wow, the True choice 4-way adj setup looks trick!
Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
wow, the True choice 4-way adj setup looks trick!
My thoughts exactly when I set eyes on it!

NOW....who is going to be the 1st to try it.....on a race track?

Can someone shed some light on the JRZ's? I have never heard of them.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:50 PM
ALong

EnthuZ,
I am suprised you have not heard of JRZ, started back in 1997 by ex Koni employees. Within the year they had build shocks for the winning BMW in ALMS (previously IMSA/PSR). They have had shocks on winning GT Porsches at LeMans, Daytona 24hrs, Sebring 12hrs, winning BMW at 24hrs of Daytona, Sebring 12hrs and ALMS Champions with BMW in 1997/98/99. I can keep listing Championships and wins at famous races all day long but you get my point, JRZ makes very good shocks. JRZ's website is currently under re-construction but you can check them out at www.theracersgroup.com (their North American Distributor) check under performance parts then under shocks.

Have you heard of Moton? One of the founders of JRZ left and started Moton. JRZ and Moton are almost identical in specs.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:41 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Thank you for the education on JRZ! Embarrassed that I never heard of them!

I really don't know a lot about shocks other than the fact I know very little about them.....

Great to see that people that DO know about them are developing better products for our Zs!

We know that the Performance Nisson Zs run the TrueChoice modified Konis, after trying Motons.

But my question is what shocks does T.C. Kline run?

I just spent the evening installing BCR specked Impact Racing 6 point harnesses to a friends BCR harness bar equipped Z, and we were talking about my next probable mod.......SHOCKS!

Only need a guarantee of a 10% lap time improvement!

Quick Reply: suspension expert please come in