Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How low is too low with coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Losing Grip II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low is too low with coilovers?

well i install my coilovers not to long ago and i thought that there may be a limit with the ball joints and other parts on the car to which might limit how low i can actually go before i hurt something.

right now the rear is down all the way. basically its slammed!

the front has one inch on it. looks even right now. so my question is should i raise the rear an inch ? what could i hurt?

i think the lowest setting on the rear is at 1.5 inch drop and the front is like 2.3inch drop. im not sure, but heres a link if someone could translate this for me and tell me the max drop on the rear and front and let me know if ill be ok, id love you

http://tein.com/ti/p26.html

thanks

john
Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 PM
Losing Grip II

for to say this: Tein Basic coilovers is what i have, when your looking on the site to see what the max drop is and if leaving it on the max will hurt anything.

thanks

john
Old 10-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Moroccan_Mole

there is no such thing as too low. as far as im concerned ... the only setting is all the way at the bottom
Old 10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Losing Grip II

so u like em' slammed too i presume?

john
Old 10-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Moroccan_Mole

yep

mine are turned all the way down in the rear. the fronts are almost there bc i have fiberglass fenders. but, i was thikning of grinding the fenders a little so i could lower the car even more :0

it's a pain in the *** sometimes (daily driven) but it looks soo good
Old 10-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Losing Grip II

what coilovers do u have?

i love mine slammed the way it is. even tho i have the stock 18s on, still looks sweet. now for some rims!

u have rims?

john
Old 10-08-2004, 04:46 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How low is too low? For me it was about 2" maybe a little more drop...even with camber/toe rods I coudnt get my alignment back into spec best I could do for rear camber was - 2.4, and with my driving that has = 5 sets of rear tires in 36,000 miles @ $350-450 set. I am only on my 2nd set of tires in the front. I finally raised my car about 3/4" and now my alignmet is looking much better in the rear...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:19 AM
neilis300

Moroccan_Mole
you got any pics of your car....i'd love to see them.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Moroccan_Mole

nothing recent ...

my car is about -2.5" dropped in the rear ... you can get the camber within spec; i did with just the kinetix camber arms ... you just need to find somebody that knows what they are doing.

im going to try to have a group buy alignment for houston people with my alignment guy, before i move to fl.

this is about 8 4-5 months old ... and the car been lowered alot more since then.

Last edited by Moroccan_Mole; 10-08-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Losing Grip II

how much were the camber adjusters?

thanks

john
Old 10-11-2004, 04:15 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
nothing recent ...

my car is about -2.5" dropped in the rear ... you can get the camber within spec; i did with just the kinetix camber arms ... you just need to find somebody that knows what they are doing.

Did you get a printout of the alignment specs? If so please post. Your camber may be fine but is your toe? When you get one into spec you get the other out-thats the way the Z's rear suspension is...I had - 1.3 camber but my toe was - .9x and thats too much toe in. Check your spec sheet to make sure your guy hooked you up with toe as well. I find it hard to believe that you dont even have the toe rods like I do and your in spec....
Old 10-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tein Flexs are odd....my rear is fully lowered, and it only lowers the car 1.2-1.4inches. The front is probably half-way in the adjustment range, and it's lowered about 1.5 inches. So said another way, the front adjustment allows you to be WAAAAAY lower than the rear. Maybe that's for drag racing purposes or something.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by gq_626
The Tein Flexs are odd....my rear is fully lowered, and it only lowers the car 1.2-1.4inches. The front is probably half-way in the adjustment range, and it's lowered about 1.5 inches. So said another way, the front adjustment allows you to be WAAAAAY lower than the rear. Maybe that's for drag racing purposes or something.
yes the basics are the same way. i actually raise the front more last nite. i had it an inch up and after settling it looked lower in the front than the back with the back totally down. after raising the front it looks even now.

i also checked everything under there ***** joints and all and they look fine. only concern i have now is that clicking noise coming from the left rear of my car from the axle. nissan knows what it is and order the parts under warrenty yet i dont think they knew i had a modded suspension. anyone think they wont perform the repair under warrenty becuz i modded the suspension? they had two other Zs there, stock, with the same problem.

john
Old 12-23-2004, 08:48 AM
slick099

how much did u pay for the kinetix camber arms?
Old 12-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are you after looks or performance? The lowest looks good but wont always make the car handle the best...especially on a coilover with single height adjustment like the Basic
Old 12-25-2004, 11:04 AM
g350TT

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
are you after looks or performance? The lowest looks good but wont always make the car handle the best...especially on a coilover with single height adjustment like the Basic
I agree w/ Z1 on the G35 I had my car this low and it scraped like crazy just turning at high speed. I lifted it about 1/4" or so and it works good now, probably will have to adjust the setting after the TT install. These are KW coilovers variant 3
Attached Thumbnails How low is too low with coilovers?-side.jpg  
Old 12-25-2004, 11:10 AM
g350TT

Originally posted by g350TT
I agree w/ Z1 on the G35 I had my car this low and it scraped like crazy just turning at high speed. I lifted it about 1/4" or so and it works good now, probably will have to adjust the setting after the TT install. These are KW coilovers variant 3
KW variant 3 coilovers adjustable rebound and compression. They work pretty good I like em performance wise, besides the color (purple and yellow) these are one of the best coilovers IMO. We have Teins on the RSX and it handles great, a little stiff for that little car but works pretty good as well. I chose KW between JIC Magic, Tein, N1, springs and Ground Control, they were developing some coilovers for the Z and G but laggin so went w/ KW. If I had a choice I'd want the Ground Control and no they're them cheesy *** fake coilovers. check em out

On the rear I put the stillen camber adjuster, I think the front needs it more because I'm -1 off and the rear aligned perfectly I think even if I didn't have the adjusters

http://www.advance-design.com/

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/coilovers.htm
Attached Thumbnails How low is too low with coilovers?-kw.jpg  

Last edited by g350TT; 12-25-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HKS Hipermax II at full slam...

Old 12-25-2004, 01:18 PM
g350TT

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
HKS Hipermax II at full slam...

looks good, how's it ride?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:27 PM
thebigsadler

no wheel gap, that's my motto. either tuckin or 4-wheelin.

Quick Reply: How low is too low with coilovers?