Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What are good coilovers you can buy without breaking the BANK!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 06:12 AM
nexstage350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What are good coilovers you can buy without breaking the BANK!!

i was thinking about buyin some coilovers in the near future, but the some of the prices of things things are hella expensive. i don't track my **** everyday, but may be every now and then. so if anyone has any info pls help. thanks!
Old 10-08-2004, 08:48 AM
bwzabodyn

Tein Basics sound like the choice for you - they can be had from some of our vender for under $750 shipped - probably $150-200 for install (or self-install) and you have can have a great setup (don't forget adjustable sways as well) for around $1000
Old 10-09-2004, 08:37 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by bwzabodyn
Tein Basics sound like the choice for you - they can be had from some of our vender for under $750 shipped - probably $150-200 for install (or self-install) and you have can have a great setup (don't forget adjustable sways as well) for around $1000
hey thanks for the info. i guess i still have to do some more shopping
Old 10-09-2004, 08:46 AM
havabooz

some guy on the forum has tein basics for sale

he is asking too much but im sure you can bargain him down

hotchkis adjustable sways are 250 shipped from some vendors
Old 10-11-2004, 06:23 AM
nexstage350

Originally posted by havabooz
some guy on the forum has tein basics for sale

he is asking too much but im sure you can bargain him down

hotchkis adjustable sways are 250 shipped from some vendors
hey thanks for the info.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am working with the US distributor of D2 suspension, We installed a set of these D2 Coil Overs on my buddy's S2000 over the weekend, and they are AMAZING. Nice anodized bodies, height adjustable, and 36 way stiffness adjustability, and of course...preload adjustment.

I am trying to work out a Group-Buy arrangement on them...price TBD...but probably about $800 shipped

you can checkout their website here....Since this website is linked overseas, it can be slow...and I believe the translation of the part number is incorrect, but you'll get the idea of what the coil-overs look like.

We are planning to order a set and test them on my buddy's car, here in Charlotte. We wont do the GB until I install them, test for fitment, road test...etc.

PM me if interested.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:25 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can order D2 coilovers through our sponsor.

http://www.evo-r.net

You gotta call them.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your support of your vendor's is in the right place Mike, but look at what evo-r just said about the D2 product and about carrying them.

Originally posted by 350z-z33
We test fitted a set on our Z six month ago and they sucks!!! The ride was WAY TOO harsh...... this is why we did not carry D2 coil-over at this point, but I heard they may have new design for the rear where the spring and strut are separated just like the OEM ones.....
I almost bought them in a group buy on Nico forums for $600, but I could not reconcile their spring rates for use on the street or the off brand part. I was right to stay away.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: What are good coilovers you can buy without breaking the BANK!!

Originally posted by nexstage350
i was thinking about buyin some coilovers in the near future, but the some of the prices of things things are hella expensive. i don't track my **** everyday, but may be every now and then. so if anyone has any info pls help. thanks!
Based on what you want, I second the call for the Tein basic.

Here's a owner review of them for you.

Originally posted by zillinois
Got a chance to drive more today.

1. You can initiate a corner at a higher rate of speed than oem. Push is gone, yeah!!

2. Weight transfer is crisper and faster than oem with less body movement. Upon hard acceleration out of corners and on straights, the car squats a very small amount and hooks up in a very predictable manner.

3. Driving normally, very little difference in dampening is felt. But the car recovers more quickly from bumps. The damping in corners is much better than oem. Corrections are easy and quiet (quiet as in steering input).

4. You can accelerate out of the corner sooner. Errors at the apex or after turn-in no longer result in drastic snap to oversteer but respond to the steering input. The feedback and adjustment cycle is completed quickly with much less input and body movement than oem. If you enjoy sliding around corners, as I do sometimes, you will really enjoy the basics.

5. The Basic also holds the road better in uneven corners. The factory setup would tend to "feel" squirrely on uneven corners and the basics keep the tires on the ground better.

The only thing I don't like is that it such a subtle improvement. It only helps were it matters. But, I think it was money well spent. A definite improvement over oem in every respect. Problem 2; Now I have to learn how to exit a corner faster. :-(

I'm not sure I understand dampening rates well enough to make changes yet. So the basics were perfect for me. I have my first "real" track day in one week. So, I'll report back then. BTW, I have a 1" drop all the way around. Also, I've done some Autox with the factory setup and I can't wait to try this out.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:24 PM
04 Lemans

I have the Tein Basics installed on my 04 Touring and I really like them.

I do not like a really low car, so my car is setup perhaps an inch or less lower than stock. One nice thing is that the Tein Basics will adjust to stock height on the 350z if you do not want a lowered car.

I was afraid that they would be too harsh when I saw the coil size versus the stock springs, but they are great on all but the most harsh bumps. I am sure that I am forgetting how soft the stock setup was, but I do not miss it at all.

The car is definitely stiffer when you toss it or under hard braking, and it sticks in the corners very well versus the stock setup. I have no way of proving it, but it seems that I get into the anti-lock a bit sooner than before, especially in the front.

My car had a right pull that the dealer and the factory super tech never fixed to my satisfaction, but tweaking the Teins side to side to equalize the ride height did the trick. The car was at least 1/4" lower on the right, which they insisted as not the problem, but it drives straight as an arrow now that I got the ride height the same on each side.

If you are not a die-hard track participant but just want to lower your car and get a car that corners a bit better without having to wear a kidney belt, the Tein Basics are the Ticket.

Oh, and I installed them myself and it is a piece of cake. It took longer to tweak them to the settings I wanted than it did to install them (take off tire, break lock ring, turn adjusting ring, re-lock locking ring, put tire back on, drive a few days, repeat until you are happy)

Ray