Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

coilovers installed, now have a clunk noise from the front.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Losing Grip II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilovers installed, now have a clunk noise from the front.

ALREADY HAD THE CLUNK NOISE FIXED FROM NISSAN ONCE.

however after installin the coilovers could the added stress losen any of the nuts and bolts that contribute to the clunk noise from the front suspenion? would i need to torque them down more than before? has anyone has a similar problem.

btw: i cant locate the sound, meaning, where as before i could notice the clunk noise coming from the left, this sounds like it coming from under the car in the middle! its much more muffled than before but i can still here it.

weird thing to is that i here the sound when i turn the wheels when the car is not moving! where as before the clunk noise came when i came to a stop, went into reverse or turned sharply but was moving.

i had this same problem in my jeep, but couldnt identify it.

honestly sounds like its coming from the middle of the car towards the bottom.
i had to install the crawford headers and had to move this one part, steering rack, could this be causing it?

at this point id like to be shot if i cant fix this.

john
Old 10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Losing Grip II

anyone know where i can veiw torque specs for the front suspension of if anyone can provide them?>

thanks

john
Old 10-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Losing Grip II

also i have the TEIN Basics without pillow mounts, could the stock pillow mounts be causing the noise?

john
Old 10-13-2004, 10:24 PM
HaNkYs_Z

I got the same noise coming from the same exact place as you, I like to know why too, anyone?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Losing Grip II

i fixed mine! it was the springs making that noise. just greased them up a bit and now they are as quite as stock.

john
Old 10-21-2004, 04:37 AM
ttsupra94

Were you able to grease them well enough while they were still on or did you need to remove them again?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by ttsupra94
Were you able to grease them well enough while they were still on or did you need to remove them again?
im assuming i was able to grease them well enough because i cant hear anything from the coilovers now. they are as quite as stock except for an occasional squek or something along those lines when i hit a good size bump or coming down/up an incline.

i put the car on a lift and was able to grease most o rach spring except for a few tight places. for the places i couldnt reach with my hand i used a brush or some teflon lube.

do you have the problem also?

john
Old 10-21-2004, 11:54 AM
ttsupra94

I just put on Tein S techs and i have noticed some poping or little clicking type noise coming from the front left i think but all the bolts are tight so i'm not sure what else it could be. I will have to try greasing them up a little if the sound stays.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Losing Grip II

Tein are known for sqeuking. i have JIC FLT- A2 on my supra and my s2000 but they make no noise. the tein lack a teflon coating i beleive which is used to quite them down. before i bought the teins from my ghuy he informed me that unline the JIC's these would be squeky and make other noises.

john
Old 10-21-2004, 01:30 PM
murrman100

Originally posted by Losing Grip II
i fixed mine! it was the springs making that noise. just greased them up a bit and now they are as quite as stock.

john
What kind of grease did you use?
Lube grease, wd40, motor oil....???
Old 10-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you greased your springs?????

the teflon coating is not on the springs it's on the coilovers bodies of some units to prevent the threads from rusting.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by murrman100
What kind of grease did you use?
Lube grease, wd40, motor oil....???
i used coastal grease. the grease itself is blue. i suggest using a high quality grease like mobil or chevron.

wd40 might work. i didnt try it because the teflon lube that sets as a gel wasnt even doing the trick. the grease works perfect.

john
Old 10-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
you greased your springs?????

the teflon coating is not on the springs it's on the coilovers bodies of some units to prevent the threads from rusting.
true. but in my case the springs were extremely nosey and couldnt take it anymore. im sure most other brand names use something to quite the springs. i have JIC Flt A2 coilovers on my s2000 and supra and they make no noise. i dont know if its Tein springs, or the lacking of some sort of material used to quite springs that was left out.

either way, greasing the springs solved all that. if anyone is close by, come by my house. ill clean the springs and you can see the difference with and without grease.

john
Old 10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Losing Grip II

Originally posted by Losing Grip II
i used coastal grease. the grease itself is blue. i suggest using a high quality grease like mobil or chevron.

wd40 might work. i didnt try it because the teflon lube that sets as a gel wasnt even doing the trick. the grease works perfect.

john

sorry but i should probably be more specific, the grease comes in a tube. the grease is very think. the grease is not like WD 40, teflon lube, or silcon. it very thick and does not come in a sprayer. i applied a thin coat around most of each spring and what i could not reach with my hands i sprayed teflon lube on. to make it easy to deal with the messy grease, i removed each wheel while the car was on the lift. i wouldnt recommend greasing them with the wheels on as you might get grease everywhere. (rotor+grease= bad)

john
Old 10-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Id be worried now about attracting loads of sand
Old 10-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Losing Grip II

Id be worried now about attracting loads of sand
like i drive through the sand all the time hahaha sorry but my streets are cleaned regularly here and i haven't driven on the beach since i had my jeep.

if u globb on the grease then yeh i would be too. but come on use some logic here, just dont load the springs with grease and you shouldnt have a prob.

john
Old 10-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Your streets might be cleaned reguarly but there is sand and dirt everyplace - and that grease you put on is now a magnet for it. Something else was at issue here - you might have founda temporary solution, but you def did not address the real problem. The grease you used is intended for sealed wheel bearings, axle boots, etc
Old 10-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Losing Grip II

Your streets might be cleaned reguarly but there is sand and dirt everyplace - and that grease you put on is now a magnet for it. Something else was at issue here - you might have founda temporary solution, but you def did not address the real problem. The grease you used is intended for sealed wheel bearings, axle boots, etc
temp solution indeed, but unless u have some other ideas this seems to be the best. i dont mind cleaning my coilovers reg. and keeping them greased, if it gets rid of the noise.

john