Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Thinking about buying a Z....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 10:27 PM
swipe112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a Z....

Hey guys,

I currently am playing around with the idea of getting a used 350z and wanted to get some insight into the mod potential of the car. I currently drive a WRX and have become spoiled by how cheap it can be to add power to a turbocharged car. As little as $1200 and that can get you into mid 13's in this car....bump that up to $2-3K for an upgraded turbo and you're talking high 12's.

First off, how much hp can $2-3K buy you in a 350z? What sort of 1/4 mile times?

On the flip side, I see several members here's breaking low 13's which is about the performance bracket I'd like to be in. How much did you guys invest?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:37 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

I can tell you right now....Z is not the car for you.

A. You are looking for a used car. I would NEVER buy a used Z. You have to be really careful with the 03s especially.
B. You are VERY concerned with 1/4 mile times and are hoping to see some significant improvements with 3K or less invested.
The Z is hardly a drag car.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Jsn350Z

2-3k in NA mods will not gain you much. The car is pretty well tuned from the factory and you are hard pressed to gain power in NA form for the money spent. Mods to say the least arnt cheap either for this car.

2-3k could get an an entire exhaust set up depending on brands chosen ( cat back, headers, and test pipes or high flow cats ) These mods should yeild 20rwhp at most I think.

Companys, and some members may claim more power from each part, but when put on the dyno in the real world they seem to say otherwise.

When on the FI route... THEN the Z is a beast!

On another note, the Z is not a drag car. The Z is a car that is not the absolute best at any one thing, but very good at everything all at once. It is quick, it handles, it's fun, and it's sexy. It has class and style, while being good at the above. Of course this is all my opinion.

If all your looking at is quarter mile times though, I would look else where.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Jsn350Z

Want significant gains for 3 grand in mods?

Some of you may not like this, but...Get an SRT-4 with a Mopar stage 3 kit.

Were talking 310whp/325 wtq on 91 pump and 355whp/365wtq on 100. High 12's on street tires and low 12's on slicks.

The SRT4 may not be your thing, but it's performance and HP per dollar can not be denied.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:32 PM
swipe112

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
Want significant gains for 3 grand in mods?

Some of you may not like this, but...Get an SRT-4 with a Mopar stage 3 kit.

Were talking 310whp/325 wtq on 91 pump and 355whp/365wtq on 100. High 12's on street tires and low 12's on slicks.

The SRT4 may not be your thing, but it's performance and HP per dollar can not be denied.
Yah, the SRT4 is definitely the most bang for your buck, but if I'm gonna buy a 4 door, I might as well keep the WRX. So how much $$ does it take to get a 350z into low - mid 13s? I guessing intake, exhaust, and maybe DRs?
Old 12-26-2004, 10:37 PM
FormulaRX

the Z will reward you in many more ways than a 12 sec 4-door sedan can ever do. So the Z won't break 12s without some serious cash, but it makes for an awesome car that's still fairly quick and it can pick up lots of girlies
Old 12-26-2004, 11:03 PM
Dankkx1

Originally posted by FormulaRX
the Z will reward you in many more ways than a 12 sec 4-door sedan can ever do. So the Z won't break 12s without some serious cash, but it makes for an awesome car that's still fairly quick and it can pick up lots of girlies
+1
Old 12-26-2004, 11:29 PM
SB Track

Yea.. The Z looks like it's going 100mph just sitting there...
Old 12-27-2004, 03:51 AM
EnthuZiast

+1....Exactly. Intake will do jack for you by the way.

Dont forget you are comparing a NA car to FI cars. Put FI in a Z and it will wipe the floor with those rides. You can get a used supercharger for 3K.

And please get rid of that WRX before you have to pick up a girl in it
Old 12-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Chicken

EnthuZiast suually gives pretty sound advice. I'm not sure about this one though...
Originally posted by EnthuZiast
A. You are looking for a used car. I would NEVER buy a used Z. You have to be really careful with the 03s especially.
As "A" goes on, it gets more cloudy...

"You are looking for a used car."

-as many people are. Obvious reasons...

"I would NEVER buy a used Z."

-one would think there'd be some good advice concerning "used Z's" about to follow this...

"You have to be really careful with the 03s especially."

-be really careful? With 03s especially? Poor boy is probably scratching his head. Hopefully the next thread he reads won't be the one where the member traded his 04.5 for a 03. That's confusing.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:47 AM
EnthuZiast

Chicken good point. I should have said that about the 03's in context. That context being that while Nissan makes a great car...and the Z is no exception...any first year sports car will have its kinks. I love my 03 Z but with only 33K miles I have already had 2 completely new trannys. I did not have tire feathing problems BUT thousands across the US have.

I also have trouble buying any sports car used...may have been beat at the track...may have been driven wrong/broke in badly etc....

Thats more of a personal preference and I know that new is a luxury everyone has...that being said the interest rate on new Zs is FAR BETTER than any used rate you will get so things may even out in the end.

Let me know if you have any questions. Many members like Chicken on here will be happy to help give you good advice
Old 12-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Jsn350Z

Intake/exhaust/test pipes/headers/cam/ecu/DR's should put you low 13's or even high 12's if you can drive.

There is a video floating around of a guy running a 13.09 on DR's with Exhaust/Testpipes/Intake but it looks like he really knows how to drive.

Of ccourse... The DR's and a great launch is what would be getting you those times. The car should be mid 13's without them.

But I agree with most of what everyone else has said.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's a lot of parts out there for the Z, and they almost all cost a lot more than normal in comparison to other cars that have been on the market long (like mustangs for instance)

NA won't get you HUGE gains.
My goal is to take on my dad's C6 and the only way to really do that is with FI or nitrous which you can do to any car for probably less money than the Z

I got the Z cause I just freaking love the car. I do wish it had more modding potential for real HP gains, but for NA it's just a lot of money
Old 12-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Chicken

Originally posted by EnthuZiast
Chicken good point.

That context being that while Nissan makes a great car...and the Z is no exception...any first year sports car will have its kinks. I love my 03 Z but with only 33K miles I have already had 2 completely new trannys. I did not have tire feathing problems BUT thousands across the US have.

I also have trouble buying any sports car used...may have been beat at the track...may have been driven wrong/broke in badly etc....

the interest rate on new Zs is FAR BETTER than any used rate you will get...
Some good points, and I agree that any first year sports car (or any car for that matter), may have issues. Sadly, I'm not entirely sure Nissan worked out many of the kinks for 04 or 04.5 and maybe not for 05 even, but hopefully they have. I've not had tranny issues (yet, knock knock), but have had the feathering issue. After market wheels and tires means more trips to the alignment shop to watch it.

I think you take a chance with any used car, and if they would have had what I wanted new, I would have bought it (yes, I bought a used '03, heh). Mental note: Do not "stop at the dealer to see what they have in stock" after a night of margaritas. If you can buy new, it's always nice, and I agree, preferred.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:02 PM
swipe112

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
Intake/exhaust/test pipes/headers/cam/ecu/DR's should put you low 13's or even high 12's if you can drive.
That's all I wanted to hear. I so I guess the bottomline is that it's possible, but its going to cost you some dough....I'm guessing 6-8K based on the mods listed above?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:36 PM
2Fishy4U

Cool

Originally posted by swipe112
That's all I wanted to hear. I so I guess the bottomline is that it's possible, but its going to cost you some dough....I'm guessing 6-8K based on the mods listed above?
If you want to go like ---- in the 1/4 mile just buy a Mustang Cobra. If you want a fast car that is fun to drive buy a Z. I decided on the Z and have never regretted that decision.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:44 PM
Jsn350Z

Exhaust : 800-1,000 ish depending on brands, some are cheaper, some are more. ( I'd go Greddy EVO2 )
Test pipes : 150-200ish ( brand doesnt matter much)
Intake : Worthless, and the best one is the JWT popcharger 140ish
Cams : 1,200ish, Better go with an aggressive one for the power youd want. ( Tomie or custom )
Headers : Depending on brand...600-1,200ish ( I'd go Crawford )
ECU : I dont know? 500ish ( Technosquare )
Plenum : 500ish ( I'd go Crawford )
DR's : ??

Plus the install on all of this.

By that time you could have gotten FI and be running 12's on street tires on low boost.

Hope this helps you at least a little.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:59 PM
wrxfan

I have a question swipe112 about your wrx have you had any tranny problems with it because I've heard of so many blown trannys with the wrx.sorry if this is off topic but I'm kind of contemplating between a base Z and a wrx
Old 12-28-2004, 09:43 PM
ssc

not to knock on wrx's, but the z is in another class compared to, like, wrx and that srt4.
and, as such, it is much more expensive to fix up....it will take a heck of a lot more than a couple of G's to get the Z to run 12's.
look at BMW's, it is even more expensive to fix up those compared to the Z.
so if you want to get in 12-13's by spending $2-3K, you should stick with the wrx, srt, or evo
Old 12-30-2004, 09:52 PM
swipe112

Originally posted by wrxfan
I have a question swipe112 about your wrx have you had any tranny problems with it because I've heard of so many blown trannys with the wrx.sorry if this is off topic but I'm kind of contemplating between a base Z and a wrx
The base WRX definitely has had its fair share of tranny issues. Mine is still in working order but there have been plenty of blown trannies if you cruise the forums.

Considering the WRX starts at a base hp of 180 whp, you are adding up to 70-100hp more than what the car was designed for. Combine that with the many knuckle heads that think they can clutch drop an AWD vehicle and you'll get a decent amount of blown trannies.

The good news is that a stronger gears can be attained for 1.5 - 2K. There was a reason Subaru put a different transmission in the STi and it wasn't only to make it a 6-speed.....

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a Z....