Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a Z, need help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:12 PM
jmr0311

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Buying a Z, need help...

After hanging out in this forum ever since it was open, finally I will be acquiring my very own Z. It's being a long wait and I'm so happy to say that is over, so now, lets go down to business. This is the first car I buy on my own so, I'm kind of a rookie in this arena.

That is were I need your help guys, those of you that have being thru this. I'm want to buy a " PPW 2005 Enthusiast 6sp " the only options I'm interested on getting are;

1- Aerodynamic package
2- Aluminum Kick Plates
3- Carpeted Floor Mats

What do you guys think is an acceptable price for this configuration? I will like to have an idea in what it will be a good deal.

Jose
Old 03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrange your own financing BEFORE you go to the dealers.

Price should be at least $1500 below MSRP from what I've seen on the Z sites.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:54 PM
jmr0311

What you guys think about this wheels for the Z on 19 inch. I think this is the description for it " gtc_ltd blk metal color "
Old 03-20-2005, 05:06 PM
RxZ

Hey Jose,
First off, let me say congreats on your future purchase. I know you will greatly enjoy the Z. Secondly, I don't know what part of Texas you are in, but here is what I have found in San Antonio:
PPW Base--> 27,300
PPW Performance--> 31,800
PPW Enthusiast w/ carpeted trunk mats, splash guards, and cargo convienece package--> 30,220 This is the closest match here in SA.
Obviously there are more enthusiast models here to choose from of different color (but get what you want even if it means waiting a bit more than you already have), and they vary in price depending on the dealership and what options are installed. Hope this gives you a range of prices to look at for what you want. Also this is San Antonio prices, may be different in DFW, Houston, or elsewhere. And like the Rat said, make sure you have your own financing first, this will greatly help in the negotiations. And the prices I have above can probably be delt on as well, about 1500 below this would be some decent pricews like Rat said as well. Congratulations on the future purchase, and good luck finding your dream car!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:11 PM
JThrilla

I just went through the debate over Performance and Enthusiast and since I'll encounter some snow, I went Performance. I think in Texas, the Enthusiast is the best choice. That said, the Invoice on the car is 27k. With the aero package, kick plates, and floor mats, you'll be right around 27.5k.

Congrats, let us know how it goes. I get my Z tomorrow and I'm like a little kid tonight waiting for the thing. There are a lot of people in the same position as you/us right now because of the weather change, so you'll get some good advice here.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:15 PM
jmr0311

Thanks Rat and RxZ,

Appreciate your replies very much. I'm also trill to finally being able to joint the Z community.The price that you see on the Nissan.com web site, is that the price you will see at the dealer.

RxZ,

I leave in Austin at this moment but considering moving to San Antonio if I land the job I'm applying for, still waiting on it.

Rat,

The price nissan.com quote for the Z I want is MSRP $ 29910. I need to negotiate so I can get at least a $1500 under this MSRP.

Jose
Old 03-20-2005, 05:26 PM
jmr0311

I forgot to tell you guys, I'm paying in cash for the car. What kind of advantage this will provide to me when It comes down to the price.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:27 PM
RxZ

The price that you see on the Nissan.com web site, is that the price you will see at the dealer.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no

One of the dealers I have been to here in SA gives you a "one simple price", and it is actually lower than what the nissanusa website says. That said, you should definatly do your research and use all the resources of this great internet to your advantage. For example, the above dealership has an enthusiast for 28,600 and they claim that the MSRP is 30,400. this is nearly 2000 below MSRP which might be a good deal, but I can't tell from the dealerships website what options are on the car, this would make the difference. (Its not PPW either, its Lemans Sunset). But definatly do your homework.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:26 PM
gburch

I am currently haggling with dealers right now, I have 7 dealers competing for my business. Without even going to the dealership I have had 3 drop out so I saved a ton of time. Definately use the internet, its a huge tool. I am looking at a roadster so my situation is a little different, always always always get an OTD (Out The Door) price. Because they might quote you a good sticker price but then tack on dealer fees. Right now my deal is looking like this:

'05 350Z Roadster Automatic Enthusiast with the normal options (mats, splash guard...) plus side airbags.
Currently best price is $36300 Tag, Title, Taxes etc..this will be slightly less because I am transfering a tag.

I think I can get this down to 35500 though they are currently working on that. For comparison the MSRP is $36,430.00. So out the door I expect to still be below MSRP by about 1k. But as it stands I am still barely below.

Not to hijack but what do you think of my deal as it stands right now guys? ($36300) What do you think I can get them down to?
Old 03-20-2005, 07:44 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cash probably does not help in negociating price; the dealers generally make money off the financing. In fact, I bet they try to talk you out of paying cash.........but tell 'em to get screwed.

Also, don't let them do ANY dealer adds (wax, etc).
Old 03-20-2005, 10:50 PM
apexi97tsi

As RxZ stated, the internet is the best advantage. It'll save you from face to face, commission craving, uneducated, salespeople who only see green.

Otherwise, if you would like good experience of taking control i suggest you ask for the dealerships sales manager, tell him you are there to create business. "I don't want to waste your time and you certainly don't want to waste mine, I am looking for this such and such car and I'm looking at this price. What is the BEST price you can give me?" Do not settle for another car if they don't have the one you want. If they give you a funny look and their BEST price is BS, get up and walk out. That'll leave them chasing you and start negotiating. Then you know you got em on your sack. Keep in mind you don't want them to waste your time. Be firm, assertive and know exactly what YOU want! Congrats on the future purchase and good luck.

I personally did not do this. My cousin did to purchase a 2005 Acura TL and it worked like a charm.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:01 AM
jmr0311

I'm looking into this package on a 2005 350Z Enthusiast 6MT,

Ultra Yellow
Aero Package
Floor Mat
Trunk Mat
Spalsh Guards

Looking into dealers inventory the car is mark down for $ 29820. I don't know if this MSRP, but what you guys think will be a good price to paid for this car (OTD Price)

Jose
Old 03-21-2005, 05:13 AM
rxtrom

I was quoted 28,383 ish on the same color and pkg except mine had aluminum kickplates and side airbags as well as the cargo pkg.
I live in CT
good luck on your purchase. I might go and pick that one up soon if the used one im looking at doesn't work out.

P.S.
I am not sure if the know this or not, but the ultra yellow adds $500 to MSRP
Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 AM
speedd3mon

Originally Posted by jmr0311
I'm looking into this package on a 2005 350Z Enthusiast 6MT,

Ultra Yellow
Aero Package
Floor Mat
Trunk Mat
Spalsh Guards

Looking into dealers inventory the car is mark down for $ 29820. I don't know if this MSRP, but what you guys think will be a good price to paid for this car (OTD Price)

Jose

JMR,
I purchased an PPW Enthusiast 6MT two weeks ago for 500 under invoice. I had dealt with the dealer before I came in flashing my 20k in has face. A verbal agreement was made even before I got there; when I got there, they gave me a seat, gave me the necessary paperworks and a list of cars to choose from. I picked the PPW Enthusiast that had a sticker price of 30200 and drove out of there paying 29545 after taxes and licensing (Im in CA, 8.25% tax). I MAY have gone lower than that IMHO, but I wasnt going to push the envelope for another 300 bux. My best advice to you is to pin dealer against dealer; go into one dealership, get the lowest price possible on paper and show up at another saying, "I have this price from xxx dealer, give me the car for 500 under invoice and I'll buy." Do all this while flashing your money .

PS. PAY WITH A CHECK! DO NOT GIVE THEM CASH! It was a mistake because it took the manager, and two other financing person 2 hours to count it up. We were there for 4 hours - two to sign the paperworks, two to count the money!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:59 AM
gburch

Actually its recommended to pay by credit card if possible. In your case 20k on a credit card might be bad haha. Anyway this gives you the protection of the credit card company, its much harder to dispute a check.

BTW What do you guys think of 36,300 OTD on a 05 5AT Roadster Enthusiast - Silverstone, with side airbags, aluminum kickplates, floor mats, cargo mat, and splash guards.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-21-2005, 11:41 AM
speedd3mon

Originally Posted by gburch
Actually its recommended to pay by credit card if possible. In your case 20k on a credit card might be bad haha. Anyway this gives you the protection of the credit card company, its much harder to dispute a check.

BTW What do you guys think of 36,300 OTD on a 05 5AT Roadster Enthusiast - Silverstone, with side airbags, aluminum kickplates, floor mats, cargo mat, and splash guards.

Thanks,
Greg
Hey Greg,
My conclusion after three months of price research is that paying MSRP OTD is a good price, and anything under MSRP OTD is a steal. However, those are prices for the hatchback and not the convertible. Thus, if 36300 is the MSRP for the price, 36300 is a good price.

Hung
Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 AM
gburch

I find that dealerships are definately less willing to drop the price on the Roadster. They kept telling me the amazing deals they could get me on the coupe. So I guess I am considering myself lucky. I had the MSRP wrong btw, according to nissanusa.com its 36,560. Looks like my final price will be $36,200 OTD. My decision now is to use the dealer that quoted me the lowest from the start but is 45miles away or the one that is 10 miles away and only matched the first quote. I don't have much time in town so it is a hard decision...normally it would be a definate to go with the first dealer. Maybe the second dealer will take off another 100-200 bucks to make me feel better, or throw in a cargo net or something haha. Sorry I posted my price twice, I didn't realize it was the same thread! By the way I am in Tampa, FL and if anyone here wants to save some research and wants the names of the dealers where i got the best quotes just drop me a PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:02 PM
jmr0311

Hey guys,

I have four dealers fighting for my business. I think this coming weekend I'm going to be visiting some dealers. I'm still undecisive between "Performance or Enthusiast" and also colors is another dilema. I like PPW or DB, I was considering Ultra Yellow but I think I'm going to pass on this one. I'm a little fixed on the Performance model because it has better looking wheels than the Enthusiast. Wheels is something that I'm not going to do any time soon because I'm going to concentrate or my capital at increasing engine performance.

What you guys think is "OTD" reasonable price for a Performance and it doesn't need to have any accessories. I'm willing to paid no more than $30k OTD but the lower the price the better. I find out that the invoice price for a basic Performance (no access.) is $28.5K.

I forgot to ask you guys, what color you think stands out the most between PPW and DB.

Jose
Old 03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
gburch

Well I always figure 2500 above the price of the car for the OTD price. So you have to get them down to about invoice to get OTD for 30. Not impossible on the Coupe.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JThrilla
I just went through the debate over Performance and Enthusiast and since I'll encounter some snow, I went Performance. I think in Texas, the Enthusiast is the best choice.
Don't forget, the VDC will help as much in the rain as in the snow. From what I've read, the Z can be very tail happy in wet conditions.

That said, the Invoice on the car is 27k. With the aero package, kick plates, and floor mats, you'll be right around 27.5k.
From my calculations on Edmunds.com using a San Antonio zip code:

PPW Enthusiast 6-Speed w/ Aero/Kickplates/Floor Mats @ Invoice: $27,615
PPW Performance 6-Speed w/ Aero/Kickplates/Floor Mats @ Invoice: $29,650

Sounds like you were spot on.

Quick Reply: Buying a Z, need help...