Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

is anyone buying used Z's ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:57 AM
wpstevenson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is anyone buying used Z's ???

I have been trying to sell my Z for 3 months now, not one phone call or email ????? I have had two people reply to post, nothing came of it. Anyone else having trouble selling their Z?? I have it advertised on cars.com, yahoo auto, the local wheels and deals, us.trader and several forums. I started out at $25,400 and I am down to 23,200. If get any lower I'll be able to afford it. Ha

I have a Silverstone 2003 Nissan 350Z, 287 hp V6, 6 spd, performance model, 30 mpg hy, 18 wheels, new Michelin pilot tires, traction control. 29,000 miles, 6 yr 100,000 mile Nissan factory transferable warranty. Price $23,200 - call 270-202-0535 e-mail stevenson@make-a-wake.com

Last edited by wpstevenson; 04-08-2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-08-2005, 10:37 AM
jeepman

man that sucks! nice car. I wish it was black.

I am looking for either a z or g35, just not sure yet. Seeing things like this make me think I would be better going with the G.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:41 AM
hypeiv

you have to remember when buying a used private party you normally get a higher rate than when you buy from private party. When I was looking for my Z it came down to two different cars (both used) one was private party the other was a dealership. My rate for the used from the dealer was 1-2% lower than from a private party which would mean I needed the private party to be almost $1000 cheaper than what the car dealer wanted just to make the deal the same (assuming I keep this till the loan is paid off). Since I was taking more risk with the private party I wanted the car for $1500 less than the price I nego'ed at the dealership and the seller thought I was majorly low balling him.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
FLZ_Boy

It's quite hard to sell 2 seater sports car, it isn't a necessity in life nor are they practical. It's like me up to someone and asking them to buy a $25,000 toy in life.

Although, I don't mind having a 2nd Z for track purposes, but the price for getting a used Z is a little out of my range (well, more like WAY out of my range).

I say, wait a bit since spring is here, should be better.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:56 AM
wpstevenson

I am $3,500 to $5,000 lower than what local dealers are selling similar used Z's for. Mine is the only one I have seen with a 100K tranferable Nissan warranty. Blue book price has been dropping fast the last 6 months. I guess people just arn't buying them, market saturated, too many problems ???

How long have some of you had your cars for sell??
Old 04-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Rosko

I just bought my Z used. I searched high and low for a Z in the 23k range. They were either sold, or unwilling to go down on price. If your Z was here, I definitely would've at least called even though your mileage is a little higher than I was searching for. However, it is a Performance with Michelin Pilots and 18" wheels. That would've made your car very interesting to me. I bought my 03 Enthusiast for $23,300. It's chrome silver with 17s and snow! tires and 24k miles.

On the flipside, are you also using autotrader.com? It took me three months to sell my Mazda6, but I did it eventually, and for asking price. I used autotrader.com only.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:53 PM
MA4

people in the market for a Z can easily justify spending the extra 5k-10 to just get a 2005 model. I am selling my fully loaded touring model for less than what you are asking and i too haven't had any interested buyers.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Qbrozen

Well, I hate to be a wet blanket, but I think your price is still too high. My suggestion is to go over to Edmunds and visit the Real-World Trade-In Values board. You can post your info over there and Terry will be able to tell you what you should sell it for.

I understand the whole looking at what others are selling for, but there are a couple of issues... one is that asking price is not selling price ... the other is that 29K miles is pretty high. I just bought mine less than 2 months ago and most '03s I checked out had less than 20K, I was only looking at Touring models, and many asking prices were in the $25K range. So you've got 10-15K more miles (a year's worth of miles, as far as a buyer is concerned) and its only a performance model.

my guess is that wholesale is around $20K, maybe less. So, personally, if I were to find the same car at a dealer, I'd be looking to pay maybe $21,500 for it ... and maybe go as high as $22K if I just couldn't live without it. SO.... that leads me to about a $21K number private party.

But, hey, I'm really just talking out my rear. Seriously, get those numbers from Terry and move from there.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Masterfulks

There's always ebay...
Old 04-08-2005, 01:32 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by Qbrozen
my guess is that wholesale is around $20K, maybe less. So, personally, if I were to find the same car at a dealer, I'd be looking to pay maybe $21,500 for it ... and maybe go as high as $22K if I just couldn't live without it. SO.... that leads me to about a $21K number private party.

But, hey, I'm really just talking out my rear. Seriously, get those numbers from Terry and move from there.
exactly when I got my car I looked at how much the trade in was so I had an idea of how much that dealership paid for it and worked up from that number. If dealers sold used cars for KBB they would make 5-6k on every used car the sold which is way more than they make on new cars.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:55 PM
tlewis

Apparently there isn't a big market for these used... I bought mine last year ('03 Touring loaded) with 14k miles on it for only $23K while retail bluebook was close to $32k. Just to qualify this, I did purchase it from a good friend that is a car dealer, so I ended up getting it for much less than wholesale.

There is a small car lot that I pass every day that has been trying to sell a Brickyard Z for about 8 months now. I have seen them lower the price over 8k and still it sits.... Good thing I want to hang on to mine for a while.

Good luck with your sale, I'm sure you find someone who will love it!
Old 04-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Rosko

people in the market for a Z can easily justify spending the extra 5k-10 to just get a 2005 model
When I was in the market and looking for my Z, I couldn't remotely justify spending 28-30k to get an 05 Enthusiast. I'm not poor. I'm just frugal. I bought my last car new, and when I sold it, I couldn't believe the depreciation. I'll never buy new again.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Hella

Originally Posted by Qbrozen
Well, I hate to be a wet blanket, but I think your price is still too high. My suggestion is to go over to Edmunds and visit the Real-World Trade-In Values board. You can post your info over there and Terry will be able to tell you what you should sell it for.

I understand the whole looking at what others are selling for, but there are a couple of issues... one is that asking price is not selling price ... the other is that 29K miles is pretty high. I just bought mine less than 2 months ago and most '03s I checked out had less than 20K, I was only looking at Touring models, and many asking prices were in the $25K range. So you've got 10-15K more miles (a year's worth of miles, as far as a buyer is concerned) and its only a performance model.

I agree I think the price is a little high.

I bought a 2003 Perf. w/ aftermarket leather, 13,000 miles. Splash guards, aero etc......for 22,000. That was from a dealer as well. Private Party price would have been lower.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:24 PM
wahoo5

If you have a Carmax near you, let them make you an offer. Their prices are not bad on late model, low mileage cars. I have sold them several cars over the last 10 years. Even if it isn't a price you want to take, it gives you a bottom line not to go below. There is no charge for the offer so there is no downside.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:31 PM
wpstevenson

Thanks for the advice, I finally had a call on the car. The guy is real interested, seems to have the $$ he is coming to look at it on Tuesday. We agread on $22,500, we will see.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Dr. Greg

Glad to hear you're getting some action. I bought my '03 Track used w/4K miles on it; saved $5K and it was the only way I could've afforded it.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:52 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If that doesnt work, Slap some sickers on the car, seat covers with flames, maybe one of those front mount air filters that fills the grill then list it on ebay as a racecar.

I've seen some weird Shat in the world of ebaymotors.com

I had a built turbo civic with 25K worth of parts that wouldnt sell for 12K yet a near factory civic of the same year with a junk yard turbo kit sold for 10K why? becuase it had all the flash.

SIGH....

Rice seems to sale.