Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

is no one buying 350z's anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:04 PM
zectasy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is no one buying 350z's anymore?

i have been trying to sell my 2003 350z for the past 6 months...i love the car but my girlfriend is pregnant and i want something a tad more affordable and also a 4 door and something i can drive year round...i started off the car at 26k....now im asking 23k...only has 13k miles...very good condition...only mods is tint on back 3 windows...stock wheels painted black...and a jwt popcharger...i have gotten 2 calls in the past 2 months and but they wanted a automatic not a stick...mines a stick...whats going on here? could the black wheels be turning people off or what? i personally like black on silverstone....help me out here...i got about a month until my lil girl is born.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 PM
TX-Ruben

"stock wheels painted black"

That'll kill it for most people.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zectasy
i have been trying to sell my 2003 350z for the past 6 months...i love the car but my girlfriend is pregnant and i want something a tad more affordable and also a 4 door and something i can drive year round...i started off the car at 26k....now im asking 23k...only has 13k miles...very good condition...only mods is tint on back 3 windows...stock wheels painted black...and a jwt popcharger...i have gotten 2 calls in the past 2 months and but they wanted a automatic not a stick...mines a stick...whats going on here? could the black wheels be turning people off or what? i personally like black on silverstone....help me out here...i got about a month until my lil girl is born.

I'd put it on ebay with a reserve set around the KBB value.

selling cars sucks.... not often do you get anywhere near what you want.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:48 PM
zectasy

its not really what i "want" but what i need for payoff....kbb trade in is horrible...its at like 18k...ridiculous....whats sad im seeing evos (mitsubishis) and srt-4 (dodge neons!) holding their value alot better than 350z's are....the stock wheels look decent...they are more of a gloss black and i have gotten quite a bit of compliments on them...but im guessing most people not in the import scene might not want black wheels? who knows.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:57 PM
crjpilot

If you mod anything on a car, typically your resale value decreases rather than increases. That may be why you are having trouble getting the price you are looking for.

Also, you are indeed trying to sell a 2003. The 03 is nutorious for the feathering issue, and even if your car does not have it, people can be ignorant and think all 03's will do it. The year alone could possibly turn away a few buyers.

Keep trying, you will sell it.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:52 PM
xray2

Sorry about the payoff, but the 03 is hovering around the 18500-21k range, unless you have the track model.
You'll just have to eat the loss to move it.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:30 AM
wj4

wow that is a good deal! if you were in so cal, id heavily consider. i think the reason its hard to sell because the fact that its a 2 seater...not practical for most ppl. but the fact that its a 2 seater is why i want a Z, tired of hauling my friends around. i dont know where uve posted..but u may wanna try http://www.craigslist.org/ also. my friends love that site and its free. also curious about this.....because the 03s are notorious for the feathering issue...does this kill their resell value compare to later 04s?
Old 06-11-2005, 06:03 AM
zectasy

^ i think you might be right.....i live here in illinois where the winters are just as long as the summers....so this car really cant be a daily driver...but to be honest im still very suprised i havnt sold it yet...i am seeing 350z's go for a tad higher than mine and also a tad lower...thats why i was wondering if it was the black wheels thats killing me....who knows...
Old 06-11-2005, 06:58 AM
crjpilot

Originally Posted by wj4
also curious about this.....because the 03s are notorious for the feathering issue...does this kill their resell value compare to later 04s?
I don't think it actually "kills" it per se. I was just trying to come up with a few reasons why he was having some trouble selling it. It's most likely going to turn some people away from it.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:07 AM
kpiskin

I just bought an 03 in April for $24.5K, so I think the prices can be higher depending on what's in the car.

I almost got a brickyard red 03 but the owner chromed the OEM wheels. He got them done cheap because the chrome was coming off and looked like crap. Since I was paying for a car, I knew it would be awhile before I could afford to just go out and buy wheels.

The other thing you have to consider is that some people know about the feathering and are scared off by that.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:59 AM
zectasy

well the feathering shouldnt be a HUGE deal...the fact that the car only has 13k miles and still has a pretty long warranty left should cover that...but who knows...i was just wondering if the black wheels was a big no no....i know alot of the kids my age think it looks good but then again around where i live the younger kids arnt driving these cars...its mostly older guys...and im guessing the older guys probably like silver or chrome better than black....
Old 06-11-2005, 08:17 AM
z3r0hunter

I am 25 years old, and the resale for the 03s sucks.
I traded mine in on 6-4-05, and i got 18,000 for an 03 pikes peak white with 32,xxx miles on it. I got the enuthiast auto for wholesale $28,000.
I now got an 05 350z. Better to upgrade, NO Problems.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:38 AM
zectasy

i really dont wanna take such a big hit...i owe like 23k....they said they could give me 18 for trade in...too big of a hit...in all honesty im very dissapointed in the resale value of these cars...i figured these would hold better than evos and srt4's but im completely wrong....should of gotten a evo....****!
Old 06-11-2005, 09:33 AM
arejohn

You might consider buying an 03 Focus SVT. Comes in 4 door. 6 speed, 170hp, real good handling, great seats and resale sucks, or did when I sold mine. People just didn't know how well they ran.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:05 AM
elms350Z

If you're selling it on the autotrader make sure to put as many things as you can in the description, mention everything! Also try Craigslist. I received 3 calls the same the I posted there. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Reese

That pop charger is probably turning them off. You should sell it to me for like $50
Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 PM
nicolaycastro

I would try to trade in, and just try to get a better price on the car that you are buying, or have them give you what you want for your car if they want to do buissnes with you.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:42 PM
kpiskin

I agree the feathering shouldn't be too huge of a deal. I still think a lot of it is due to OEM tires. Plus you can find cheaper tires if you shop around and have to replace them more frequently. It didn't scare me off, but I'm saying it does scare some off.

Also it does suck to be upside down on your loan. I'd try to hold onto it for another year and by then you should owe less than what it's worth. I don't know if you can afford a second car payment or not. Beware though, if you decide to trade in and they pay off your car, they'll try real hard to pad the numbers in their favor with the price of the new car. Is there a carmax in your area? I've had pretty good success getting kbb prices for my cars and no haggling. Normal dealerships always try to screw you with trade-ins IMHO.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:03 PM
synth19

Consider TRADING Your wheels to someone else who has unpainted stock wheels. OR, sell your wheels online and buy yourself a set of OEM wheels (you can get them SUPER cheap now). That's what I would do, if I was selling my Z, I would try to get it looking as stock as possible! We all love the dark wheels, BUT, the general public doesnt!
Old 06-11-2005, 07:29 PM
boma

Get it back stock! It will help! It's practically stock anyways. When I see mods I automatically assume it has been raced and flogged more than the average car. Yes I know I'm only half right, but it does say something about the car.

Quick Reply: is no one buying 350z's anymore?