Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a Used Z from a Private Party

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:25 AM
siznimper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Used Z from a Private Party

What to watch for - what to avoid?

How does it work logistically - the owner does not own the car outright.

I just don't want to get screwed - are there any articles online that explain how the process will work?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:28 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

First look it up under Car Fax, you need the VIN.

Take it to a reputable mechanic. What model and year is it?

How are you paying, cash, bank loan?

If paying cash, you pay his loan off and whatever else is left after you negotiate.

What does he owe? How much is he selling it for? Mileage? Is he the original owner, ect? Ask for maintanance receipts.

Don't buy it the first day you see it. Do your homework! I would shy away if its an early build 2003 model?

If the miles are low, below 15K, and he has different tires other than OEM, that might tell you something as well.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/used.htm

Last edited by zand02max; 08-13-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:48 AM
siznimper

CarFax is clean - service history from Nissan shows up clean.

I'm going to take it to the local Nissan dealer to have it checked out.

What is the difference between the early and late build 2003s?

I am currently considering 2 - one SOLD in July 03 and one sold in 12/02 - the former is 25k the latter is 21k and out of state.

Both have 24k miles, touring, the 25k one has Nav, the 21k does not - that's the only difference.

Don't know what he owes, but how do I pay off his loan? How does the title transfer work?

Anyone know about California emissions for an out of state car - will this be a problem?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:55 AM
ppith

If you have the cash, contact his bank/Nissan. If you're taking out a loan, your bank needs the contact info for his lien holder (should be on his proof of insurance). You'll need a bill of sale too. You/your bank will get the title from his lien holder after the money is transferred. You can drive this car beforehand by getting a temporary permit from your local MVD/DMV (whatever abbreviation they use in your state) that will last 30 days. The 350Z is smog legal in all states so you just need to get an emissions test before you try to get a license plate (which you can't do until you have proof of insurance, the title, and the emissions test). You will either have the title or need to borrow it from your bank so you can get your license plate on the car. Once you get your plate you keep the title (paid cash) or the MVD will mail the title back to your bank.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:59 AM
siznimper

Capital one auto finance has a "person to person" blank check auto loan thing - I am paying roughly half cash and half on such a loan - would this work the same way? MSN Money suggested that we go to his bank together and pay off his loan.

If I owe Capital One money though, how do they get the title - do I just have to send it to them? Do they really trust me to do that?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Racer Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He might be selling his '03 Z for a reason....Maybe he has or had some problems that he's NOT telling you about. Plus, as many ppl have stated the '03 Z has some issues.

I'd go for an '04 and up, IF I were you.....I'd bet he trying to offload the '03 so he can buy an '06 Z.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:37 PM
siznimper

Okay well it's arranged - I am buying private party.

Any tips for the actual transaction? It's out of my area, so it's not like I can go, check it out, come home, sleep on it, and head back to meet up with the guy....
Old 08-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Dream350Z

I just did this 2 weeks ago purchasing the car from private party who didn't own it. This is what I did:

1)made up bill of sale including make/model/VIN of the vehicle, seller/buyer identified, and that he was giving me possession of the car, we were sending money to his bank, his bank was sending me the title.

On day of transaction:
1)meet with him and go to a notary and have (1) Power of attorney document signed(this gives your parental or anyone else you trust, the authority to sign the title into your name, thus the seller need not be involved in any way and no way to screw you) and also have (2) a document that is a "title release" signed by you and him, and have it sent to your house OR a dealership/notary that you know. I am having mine sent to a dealership my dad is friends with that way this guy has no clue where I live.

2) He gives you possession of the car forever w/ all documents he has.

3) Go to a local post office/UPS and send the money to his bank, making sure you get a tracking number from him, or you send it yourself. MAKE SURE you have his banks address and phone number. I did this and have talked to this guys bank numerous times verifying that I am purchasing the vehicle. All you need is his name, and the VIN of the car.

4) Done.....you will have HIS bank send the title to YOU, and you have possession of the car. when you get the title, you have whoever signed power of attorney sign the title into your name.

Luckily the guy I bought my car off of left it insured and his tags on it, and I'm sending him it all when I get my tags....so I can drive it until the title is in my name. I was really stressing out about this same thing you are not wanting to send him the money and he runs w/ the title and his car. By you having possession of the car you are pretty much safe as long as you have bill of sale and MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING!!!

Any questions, let me know or PM me and I can give you my phone # to call if you need more help.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:05 PM
siznimper

Is the Nissan dealer the best place to get the car inspected? Mechanical soundness, alignment, signs of body work or fender benders?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:21 PM
DZ2005

Dude whatever you do don't buy an 03, get a used 04 or 05, i'm sure someone would want to get rid of them for a newer one, etc. Also, Nissan is about to start crazy rebates on 05's due to the 06's comin, would you be able to just go get an 05 then???
Old 08-14-2005, 07:24 PM
siznimper

Fell in love with Brickyard - i'm a girl, I know...but with the deal I ended up getting, even if I end up with some issues, I can turn it around for a minimal loss.... 21k for 03 touring with 23k miles

I'm interested to see Interlagos Fire, though.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you find one you really want, take it to nissan for a pre-purchase inspection. they'll check compression, alignment, tranny, etc. it may cost you $100, but its well worth it.
also, don't buy a used car that doesn't have all maintanence records for you to review and keep.

Last edited by Z BOY; 08-14-2005 at 07:58 PM.