Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

loaded Touring versus Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:25 PM
aubear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question loaded Touring versus Grand Touring

Here's my situation: I "ordered" a 2005 Touring coupe in May. Found out months later that dealer could not order 2005's that late, so they ended up ordering an '06. It's supposed to arrive on 10/21. Now I've seen all the changes for '06 and I am both happy and uncertain. Overall, I'm happy with the changes, but I think I would have ordered a Grand Touring instead given the new configurations.

Here's what I believe to be the differences (my Touring versus Grand Touring):

aero package option <=> comes standard, +integrated rear spoiler, +rear underbody diffusers

cast wheels (I do like the new style) <=> larger forged wheels

standard tires <=> larger tires

standard brakes <=> Brembo brakes

Have I missed anything? The difference in prices is $2870 MSRP when I build mine versus a Grand Touring version of what I want. Could I basically make mine into a Grand Touring for that kind of money or at least not too much more? I'd hate to wait on another order and I'm not sure they'd give me the $200 over dealer invoice deal that I have now.

Thanks!
Patient Brad in Austin

P.S. I went and saw the only 2006 in dealer inventory around town the other night. The guy I talked to said it was somehow a second revision of the 2006 and that, having ordered mine so long ago, I might be getting the first revision that doesn't have the new wheels, interior materials, etc. This makes no sense to me. Anyone know something about this? I think he has to be misinformed.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Z33Concept

Get an Enth Z Coupe.....Touring is a waste of money unless you getting nav.. YOu can do leather or suede after market. Do you really want VDC? Plus the touring wegihts more anywayz. Who needs heated seats in the summer time. Who drives the Z in the winter time?

Last edited by Z33Concept; 10-05-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just order the Grand Touring, you have to wait but who cares? You don't want to see it later on down the road regret a purchase just because you didn't want to wait, so just go with what you want.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 PM
turbohappy

I wish mine was going to be here in October

Did you order yours with the Aero package? I would think the new larger brakes are probably sufficient, although they don't look as cool. And the wheels are mostly preference, if you like the 35th wheels then that's probably fine. The saved $$$ could be put into a bigger set of wheels and tires that are your favorites (unless you love the new track wheels).

And I would think the salesman is mistaken, I've never heard of two versions.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:09 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the dealer pressing you for more money to “upgrade” to the Grand Touring,” or is this your choice?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Lancaster

Are you a modder? If you got just a regular touring are you pretty sure you would put aftermarket wheels, aero, and brakes on it? Are you a do-it-yourselfer? How much do you trust yourself with installation,maintainance and repair? If you answer 'yes' to the first and 'no' to the second, then grand touring is definitely the way to go. Yes, you could probably create a better custom brake and wheel system for less but there's something very calming about the words "under warranty". The Grand Touring is a great value over the Track on '06s now anways: It's a track and you get the touring options for less than half price!

I ordered mine at $200 over invoice last Saturday. If they gave you that deal before, demand it again...no reason they shouldn't acomodate you.

There aren't 2006 "revisions". That guy didn't know what he was talking about or was completely full of ****
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 AM
aubear

Originally Posted by davidv
Is the dealer pressing you for more money to “upgrade” to the Grand Touring,” or is this your choice?
No, in fact the dealer probably would prefer I buy the one that was ordered. The problem was that the ordering was done by the dealer based on my 2005 order. Had I been part of the ordering process and known what was available, I probably would have opted for the Grand Touring given the bigger wheels/tires, Brembo brakes, and aero differences. Unfortunately, I'm sure they couldn't have told me, and may not have known themselves, exactly what was available/new for 2006 when they ordered it in early July.

And to answer a question from another post, yes I did order the aero package.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:58 AM
aubear

Originally Posted by Lancaster
Are you a modder? If you got just a regular touring are you pretty sure you would put aftermarket wheels, aero, and brakes on it? Are you a do-it-yourselfer? How much do you trust yourself with installation,maintainance and repair? If you answer 'yes' to the first and 'no' to the second, then grand touring is definitely the way to go. Yes, you could probably create a better custom brake and wheel system for less but there's something very calming about the words "under warranty". The Grand Touring is a great value over the Track on '06s now anways: It's a track and you get the touring options for less than half price!

I ordered mine at $200 over invoice last Saturday. If they gave you that deal before, demand it again...no reason they shouldn't acomodate you.

There aren't 2006 "revisions". That guy didn't know what he was talking about or was completely full of ****
No.
Not sure, maybe wheels and tires.
Yes, but not on cars. Yet.
Very little.

I'm not terribly concerned about getting the best bargain. I've been eyeing and working towards this car, including building a new garage, for about a year and a half. I am really just looking for confirmation that I'm not missing any Touring/Grand Touring differences and that I could make up the differences on my own if I so desired.

Tires/wheels -- obviously, I can probably do what I want, within reason, without warranty consequences.

Brakes -- I probably will be perfectly happy with the standard brakes, but the gold Brembo brakes would look wonderful with my blue Z. (Blue and gold are my colors after all.) Couldn't I get the brakes upgraded professionally, maybe even by Nissan, without worrying about the warranty.

Rear underbody diffusers -- anothering thing I can probably live without or have upgraded, right?

From the few pictures I've seen, the "integrated" rear spoiler of the GT doesn't look a whole lot different than the one I get with the aero package.

Your comment on the "revisions" makes me feel better. I don't want some in-between 05-06 Frankenstein car. Thanks for your (and everyone's) response!