Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Military member needs advice on Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:10 AM
bobbywedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military member needs advice on Z

Hello this is my first post on these forums. FYI: I'm 25, 26 next month, single and currently stationed in Japan. I am getting stationed in Hawaii around Feb of 06. I was looking at the 350z(probably used) and was wondering if the convertible was the way to go since I'll be in Hawaii for a couple of years or go with coupe? And is this a good vehicle for Hawaii or should I go for something more practical? I know I'm asking people that love the Z obviously, just wanted some solid advice before I do something I may or may not regret. I love sports cars.

I make pretty decent money for enlisted and currently finishing up my degree and putting money up for retirement. I also have a great driving record. One more question, I promise...What would be the best route to buy a 350z (used)? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:04 AM
CervanteZ

Sure you could go with a used coupe. Roadsters are more expensive. I take it you're not planning on buying a Skyline while you're in Japan? Hawaii is perfect for a roadster, but honestly I don't see the point of roadsters (w/cloth tops). My buddy had an eclipse convertible, swore never to buy a convertible again. I've always wondered what would happen if the top didn't want to go back up... But from your avatar you seem to be leaning towards a roadster. Either way, it's a hell of a ride, you're going to enjoy the hell out of it. Hope you saved the BAH and Cola... hehe
You're in Misawa? I'll be damn, I'm being stationed there in April '06. I was thinking of taking my Z there, but I don't want to have to pay the high taxes and change my emmissions. By the way, you know any good places there (besides Tokyo) I can buy a Skyline?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:54 AM
bobbywedge

Hey thanks for the reply. I am not dead set on a roadster, its just I thought it would nice to have in Hawaii. Yeah, I thought about getting a skyline here and having it changed over, its so easy to get Skylines here. One of my Sgts has a 94 Skyline GTS-4 Stage 3 or 4 with about 575-600+ hp. Its sweet. I'm not sure I would want to worry about getting parts for it after I leave Japan. I am trying to figure out what kind of vehicle I want...not easy decision. Oh and misawa is pretty cool, kinda quiet compared to tokyo area. Bellows is hopefully my last duty station then back to being a civilian. Anyways thanks for the advice, will keep in mind. Cola is pretty good here also, rated 1 base in the airforce also. Peace Out!
Old 10-22-2005, 08:56 AM
davidgmil

I was stationed in hawaii back in march and i had to wait to get my z till i got back to cali because even used the z overprized by over 5 grand in hawaii. Its hard to get a brand new base model for less 32 grand its a real rippoff. They do that with all the popular sport cars i.e. mustang, rx8, s2000, their exuse is the shipping cost but that makes no sence since all their other models cost the same as on the mainland.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:08 AM
CervanteZ

NICE! True about the Skyline parts. But not that many people have Skylines here. Pretty rare. Z is the way to go man, it's one sexy animal. I heard you could get cars through aafes, saving you some big bucks. I don't know if it applies to Imports... they don't call them imports in Japan do they? lol.
Well you're definitely in the right website for all kinds of info, people here help you out a lot. But yeah, used Z's are not hard to find, though I don't know about Hawaii. Didn't see that many while I was there last year. It's always a pain in the butt trying to decide which car to go with. Being single and no kids helped me decide on the Z.
But if not a Z, consider the G35. It's a nice, more luxurious car. The Z's sole purpose is to create attention, oh and the fact that it's a quick sob.
Good luck on your decision, hopefully more people come in here for more advice.

BTW I'm Navy Security, but being stationed here, Travis AFB, I've learned to work and get along with the airmen, hopefully is the same in Misawa.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:24 AM
bobbywedge

Good points, I'm going to do some more research on this and see my options. Oh by the way i'm Security Forces, I have many Navy friends I work with. Oh and they are planning on having a single flight of just navy cops probably by the time you get here. Our squadron is pretty cool and misawa is pretty safe place. Oh and Car Sales only have Chrysler and Ford now(GM pulled out of the program). I wish they had nissan, toyota, etc. This website seems to be a very good one so far, lots of info and nice people. I will utilize it very well. If ya need any info on Japan, just let me know.

Oh and thanks to you davidgmil also for your advice, I was told that they charge extra in HI, not looking forward to that.

Last edited by bobbywedge; 10-22-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:36 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh
Old 10-22-2005, 09:52 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're looking at a Roadster, consider your “comfort zone” for top-down driving. Are you comfortable with the top-down at 85 degrees with 85 percent humitity and the sun on your shoulders? Or would you rather have the top up and the air conditioning on?

Last edited by davidv; 10-22-2005 at 09:55 AM.