Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

I am about to go drop off my deposit check, should I agree to msrp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 04:39 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by walc

I think this thread started with a guy in Houston, TX, asking what he should pay. Someone suggested he tell the dealer, in TX, that he could buy for $1K off msrp in TN. I suggested that if he was going to use that negotiating tactic, there are better deals than $1k off msrp to use; although, I doubt that a TX dealer cares if a TN dealer is selling for $1k less than him. It is probably more than $1k worth of hassle to buy in TN, when you live in TX.
You posed the idea that a person in TX would be getting a fair deal by purchasing for $1k less in TN.
No I didn't. I said TN wasn't a winter state, and that $1000 wasn't that bad of a deal compared to other dealers in the area. You're filling in your own blanks with stuff I didn't say.

My point was that the guy in TX shouldn't travel to TN to save $1k, when he might be able to buy in St. Louis and save $2.6k, as you did 2.5 months ago, or more. That big a saving is probably worth the inconvenience of having the car shipped or flying there and driving it home.
Todd, the guy that sold me the car, has said here recently that kind of deal isn't what they are doing now. They are also offering cars on the classifieds for $1000-$1500 off. My deal was an "end-of-year-lets-get-it-off-floorplan-before-we-have-to-pay-more-we-just-had-14inches-of-snow-and-nobody-is-buying-RWD-sports-cars-in-MO-right-now" type of lucky deal. At that time, the lowest price I'd seen somebody post that they'd actually bought at was maybe $500-$1000, and a dealer in MN at $1000 over invoice and another in Detroit that was $1500 over invoice.

I don't disagree with what you are saying here, though. Part of the way I talked them to $2600 off was being ready to walk because of the deal I could have gotten in MN from the dealer selling at $1000 over invoice at the time.

I'm not arguing with what your intent seems to be. I'm just saying that the $1000 off isn't horrible compared to other dealers HERE.

PS. I concede that TN is a tropical paradise in the winter. However, the dealer in Morristown, TN lists 16 in stock, at this time, on the Nissan.usa website. So, $1k off msrp, which is $2k over invoice and $3k over dealer cost, is not that good a deal, when supply apparently exceeds demand at that dealership at this time.
I would definitely try to bargin there if I was buying there. I never stated I wouldn't. I only said it wasn't that out of line with everybody else here in TN, so it isn't exactly a bad deal.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:14 AM
walc

MannishBoy,
Somehow, I doubt that anything we are arguing about is of any help to 350ez, in Houston.
Oh well. I always enjoy chatting about TN, which is a great place to live.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:46 AM
WayneTN

Hey, walc.

I bet the sheriff's department in Morristown has already spoken for all 16 of the Z's that came in there. So, then there wouldn't really be an over-supply. Probably Shift_pursuit, you know.

Seriously, I heard that dealer advertising on the radio the other day that they were discounting all Nissan's, even the Z. So you may be right; could be a good deal there for now.

P.S. - tell your wife that I'm gonna take it easy on you today so you don't have to go back to the Holiday Inn Express. lol

WayneTN
Old 02-21-2003, 08:51 AM
walc

Dear WayneTN,
Good to hear from you!
Glad you are going to give me a break today.
FYI- $3k to $4k off in PA- https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=20266
Old 02-22-2003, 09:58 AM
walc

Originally posted by WayneTN
What are you talking about, "wintery states, such as TN?"

It's gonna be 60 degF here Saturday! The last I heard, a big snow storm just hit up that way!

WayneTN
Sat., 2/22/03@2PM EST
Salisbury, MD-elevation 52 feet above sea level
Currently 61 deg/F raining
Now our snow is being replaced by floods.
I knew I should have stayed in TN-27 years ago!