Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

You guys are really making me change my mind on a 06 350Z!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Built2shredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmillsUT28
I started reading about the huge oil consumption problem that these 06 350Zs are having. Burning more than 1qt of oil every 1K miles. Having to get warranty work done and then still not having the problem fixed. Having a horrible time getting help from Nissan.

So I thought I had my mind made up on the 350Z. Even though it’s going to be a step down in HP compared to my FWD-TT 3000GT. But now I am in a stand still. I want a car that drives great and has good HP but still has the reliability of a daily driver.

It's only a few members that have the problem, so I feel confident in saying that 95% of all 06's are probably fine... But if your worried you could always wait another 2 months and buy the 07 350z, which has a redesigned engine and more HP...
Old 11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
lilquazyvietboi

Originally Posted by Black Duck
I understand mate but I just couldnt see what your point is about "treatin' a 350 Z a 350 Z". This makes it sound like the car is fragile. Plenty of people use it as a daily driver with no problems. I use mine mainly on the weekends.

"and if u are not willing to take care of ur 350z... then dont get it... simple as that".

Surely this statement applies to most performance cars? Or should he just buy a Camry/Accord

"if u dont wanna treat a 350z like a 350z... go get something at a bmw, benz, or lexus then if u want a reliable ****".

Again - BMW or Mercedes reliable? Take a look at JD Power you will see Mercedes is right next to Nissan for problems per 100 vehicles.

u sir... take things too far to find a "flaw" in my writing. here ill help ya out since u still havnt understood my point.

every car has different good and different bad. 350z has its own good and bad. if oil burn is a problem to you... then dont get it. if it is not a problem to you,... then go for it. a 350z should be treated as a 350z. u cant treat it like a civic, 350z needs more care. and a 350z isnt just any other car... if you are looking JUST for a fun+reliable car... then there's no need to only limit urself to a 350z. dont like it the way it is? move on, find something else... find a car with the problem that you dont mind having.

no **** right? ^_- ... let me guess... still confuses you? LOL
Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM
lilquazyvietboi

Originally Posted by 181 BluZ
I've had my 2006 350Z for about a year... No problems so far... If your really worried about the Z then simply don't buy one and go on to something else.
bingo... he says everything i said in like 1 line >.<

i've own mine for 6months... no problem so far either. even if it did had couple problems... i'd still love it as if it was my own child ^___^
Old 11-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Black Duck

and a 350z isnt just any other car

Wow, your right - it's.....it's.....a 350Z YAY! : )

no **** right? ^_- ... let me guess... still confuses you? LOL

Nope I think with all the rambling your doing, the only person your confusing is yourself. LOL

Happy Thanks Giving!
Old 11-22-2006, 01:57 PM
NVS_350Z

huh? a civic needs as much care as a 350z does.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by NVS_350Z
huh? a civic needs as much care as a 350z does.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 PM
stevenkseward

said before, but i agree. no matter what you're going to find someone who gets a bad car/bad service from a dealership. get an rx-8 and blow the engine, get a BMW- cuz they're SO rare...or you could get a Z. Even better would be just to wait and drop the $60,000 on the new Nissan GT-R.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 181 BluZ
I've had my 2006 350Z for about a year... No problems so far... If your really worried about the Z then simply don't buy one and go on to something else.

you forgot to put "stop wasting forum space with useless whining" in there
Old 11-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Zmazing03

the problem is with any forum your only gonna hear about the bad stuff. I bet only 1-5 percent if of Z owners expierence these problem's if that many. Some people jsut get bad apples and that gets highlighted more than the good things IMO.
+1. No one ever posts about the GREAT stuff, because that is what they expect. There is NO problem with Zs, at all. In fact, I am willing to bet that over the course of time, the Z will require less maintenance than the 3000GT.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:02 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

www.3si.org/forum FTW! I went from a 3000gt to a 350z also. I still have the 3000gt, i have been working on it for awhile. Been doing a TT conversion also, just haven't had time, lol. If you take a look at 3si, you notice A LOT of 3si'ers moving to a 350z/G35c. Can't say anything about the problems, only have 5k on my Zed.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:08 PM
jmillsUT28

Thanks for the post guys! I just got back to my PC so I am going to read the 3 pages after I post this. I saw a few of you saying that you did not think 3000GT where FWD and that they are fast. Let me give you a little more info. I have owned my 3000GT for about 7 years now. It was a stock non turbo FWD DOHC with 222hp crank. After having it for about 5 years I really wanted to get a more powerful car. Saw a few guys on the 3si forum that turned their FWD 3000GT into a Twin Turbo 3000GT. They used everything off of the VR4 and switched it to the NA engine. Turbos, TT ECU, wiring harness, SMICs, 360cc injectors, TT exhaust, oil housing, yada yada and yada. Not going to list everything. Anyways I decided I would do the TT conversion. I am running a front 9B turbo with a rear 13G turbo for my rear bank. Of course a stage 3 clutch and LSD. Oh yea the FWD 3000GT weigh less than the true VR4s.

Sorry to miss inform anyone. I should have posted that in the first post of mine. Thanks again for all of the post. I am going to read the 3 pages now. Thanks

Jon
Old 11-25-2006, 03:39 PM
jmillsUT28

Thanks a lot guys!! The posts really answered my questions. I have been a member of 3si sinse 2001 and will hopefully be a member on this forum even longer. I figured that the oil problem was only a small group of z owners. I just wanted to get a little positive info from you guys. I am sure I will be buying a Z here soon. Now do you guys think that the end of the year would be the best time to get the best deal? Has Nissan ever had 0% APR on the Zs? Thanks again guys I will post back with a few more questions.

Jon
Old 11-25-2006, 06:50 PM
devster

Umm... it really is just a car. It needs some oil changes and other fluid changes once and a while. You can beat the crap out of it and it will be fine.

Electronics such as power windows are the only things that will mess up. But that is with any car.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:38 PM
lilquazyvietboi

Thanks a lot guys!! The posts really answered my questions. I have been a member of 3si sinse 2001 and will hopefully be a member on this forum even longer. I figured that the oil problem was only a small group of z owners. I just wanted to get a little positive info from you guys. I am sure I will be buying a Z here soon. Now do you guys think that the end of the year would be the best time to get the best deal? Has Nissan ever had 0% APR on the Zs? Thanks again guys I will post back with a few more questions.

Jon
lol... no... i dont think they give 0% on any sport car that's on demand. and buying an 06 at the end of the year is almost the dumbest idea. i got my car just a month ago and i got it for 1% over invoice. i think i can get close to that if i bought it the few beginning months of 06. if u cant do better than 1% over invoice... just get the 07 ^^

and black duck... i wouldnt make such a retarded comment next time, if u understood everything that was written. what i wrote was plain and simple, not too difficult after a simple explaination right?. you are only making urself look like a ****** and looking for problems
Old 11-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Built2shredZ

do you guys think that the end of the year would be the best time to get the best deal? Has Nissan ever had 0% APR on the Zs? Thanks again guys I will post back with a few more questions.

Jon

I don't think Nissan, Honda or Toyota has ever had 0% interest rates on there car loans.. I've only seen that deal on American made cars (Fords, Chevy, Dodge, etc..)

You would probably get a good price at the end of December/January but options and color choices will probably be limited on the 06' models by then... You might want to check out the 07' models(Comes out in January), it will have more color choices and a revised engine producing more HP.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Black Duck

and black duck... i wouldnt make such a retarded comment next time, if u understood everything that was written. what i wrote was plain and simple, not too difficult after a simple explaination right?. you are only making urself look like a ****** and looking for problems [/QUOTE]

yeah I agree, everything you wrote was simple alright. I'll let you treat a Z a Z what ever that means and if you think I would lower myself to your level, exchanging childish insults, you are wrong pal.

The Ducks (feathers remain unruffled)

Last edited by Black Duck; 11-26-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Brocken

Originally Posted by bailey bill
1) Yup! Message boards are mostly about *****in' and complaining.

2) My '06 Enthusiast (after 6 months and 7500 miles) has been troublefree

3) Most (but NOT ALL) of the owners complaining about oil consumption are still in the first 1-3K miles. It is not unusual for an engine to use a little oil until the rings seat in. Here is my experience (from a previous post).

"My car used 1 quart from 0-1000 miles, 1 quart from 1000-3000. I changed the oil at 3000 (5-30 Mobil 1), and now at 7000 (4000 miles) it has used 3/4 quart.

I expect oil consumption going forward will not exceed 1 quart per 5K."

4) And note that from all the info posted here, Nissan appears to have a very liberal policy about replacing engine for those who do experience problems.

If you want a Z, go get one!

bill
I would say #3 isn't totally accurate. Most of the oil burning '06 cars do not get better after the break in period. That's the crap Nissan is trying to pull on me now, saying that it was consuming oil because of break in.
Well, the dealer consumption test shows 1quart per thousand until I went in for a check at 5k miles and now it's up to 2 quarts per thousand miles. So, definitely not losing oil during "break in" only. It's getting worse.

it's a crapshoot. Maybe you only have a 5% chance of getting an oil consuming car, maybe more, maybe less. It's up to you whether you want to take that chance and deal with the poor Nissan NA support. Sure, you might have a standup dealer but almost every instance where cases have been escalated NNA has done nothing but make it worse.

Maybe wait until the '07 is out. Hopefully the redisgned engine has rings that seal properly. I bought the car because of Nissan and the VQ reliability but they obviously screwed up something on more than a couple of the engines. Which wouldn't be a big deal if they addressed the problem but they insist on making it worse.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:15 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brocken
I would say #3 isn't totally accurate. Most of the oil burning '06 cars do not get better after the break in period. That's the crap Nissan is trying to pull on me now, saying that it was consuming oil because of break in.
Please note that I did NOT say it will get better, just tht most of posts involve cars with only a few thousand miles. That means the owners really don't know if it is a real problem, or just a break-in condition.

And it also seems clear to me that SOME owners have genuine problems over a longer period.

I just want to assure the OP that most owner's have few, if any, problems with their new Zs.

And my reading of the message boards also seems to indicate tht Nissan is been pretty liberal about engine replacements. Again, some dealerships will give you less-than-satisfactory service. Either way, I'm not personally concerned. It seems that mine is trending toward "normal", meaning a quart every 3-4K. And if it turns out that i actually have a long term problem, I'm comfortable that Nissan will address it. I've still got over 50K of warranty left.

bill
Old 11-27-2006, 09:50 AM
efx

for 06'

Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Gooey

i financed my 2003 maxima with 0.9% finacing @ 60months......

Quick Reply: You guys are really making me change my mind on a 06 350Z!!