Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

MSRP question for those w/ Preorders

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 08:25 PM
Viral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSRP question for those w/ Preorders

Hey guys,

I'm wondering how closely your dealers have stuck to the MSRPs on the cars you guys have ordered. Did you guys get your above, at or below MSRP? Are most of you guys ordering stock or with options (like navigation)? Trying to get a feel for pricing when I head down to the dealership.

Thanks...
--Viral
Old 08-02-2002, 08:35 PM
olzilver

Got it at MSRP, but then put on a few options. Then the salesman said I would have to buy their BS protection package for $600 or they wouldn't sell me the car or more precisely, they wouldn't take my deposit and order the car. Hell, it's only money. Chrome Silver Performance 6MT (SOMEDAY).
Old 08-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Boomer

Default msrp

I got it for MSRP, including all options. No hassle or fees; $1K deposit, non-refundable; but I am a regular customer, could get it back if needed.

Boomer
Old 08-02-2002, 09:20 PM
wr_mem

MSRP -- no BS add on costs from the dealer. $500 down, refundable. delivery is set for 9/4. Silverstone Touring 6MT, everything but GPS.

At least that's what we *agreed* to... but, I don't think they'll change things when I go and pick it up.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:31 PM
vanstorm16

I paid msrp for my pre-order as well. Performance model, Silverstone color. $1K refundable deposit (they're not going to have ANY problem selling these if someone neg's on a deal).

No talk of paying above MSRP. I joked with them about cutting a deal (hey, it pays to at least ask right?) and they pretty much laughed in my face. Honestly though, margins on this car are LOW. MSRP is a fair price for both the dealer and us future 350Z drivers.

No I just gotta sit here and wait!
Old 08-02-2002, 09:33 PM
blueshift
Charter Member #83

$100 under MSRP -- $500 refundable deposit
Old 08-02-2002, 09:50 PM
FstQban

I got mine at MSRP. But the dealer did tell me about one of the other three preorders they had. The guy walked in and said "I will pay you $5k over list to get the first Z on your lot!" Ouch. If only he knew about the preorder program!
Old 08-02-2002, 09:58 PM
ballz

Originally posted by FstQban
I got mine at MSRP. But the dealer did tell me about one of the other three preorders they had. The guy walked in and said "I will pay you $5k over list to get the first Z on your lot!" Ouch. If only he knew about the preorder program!
Thats what ya get for being a hero... Mr Money Bags
Old 08-03-2002, 02:16 AM
Lee3Z

Got at MSRP, dealer told me Nissan wanted cars sold at MSRP and not above.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:32 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

This is an interesting pattern: someone asks what everyone paid for their car, and lots of people pipe and and say "MSRP here!" "Yup, me too!" "Below MSRP for me!". This would lead one to believe that everyone is buying at MSRP (or even below), but I don't think that's true.

The truth is most likely that people who paid MSRP are proud of it and stand up to tell the world about it. But I suspect there are many who paid over MSRP, some considerably, who just don't want to admit it (no I'm not one of them!) I think if you could get the actual statistics (which may not be possible) you would find a lot of dollars being spent beyond the magic MSRP. This has to be the case simply because of the fact that almost every dealer within 100 miles of me is (or at least, was) charging well over MSRP for preorders!
Old 08-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. When I started the preorder search for a dealer, I e-mailed every one in a 250 mile radius (about 25 in all) and at least half were asking for more than MSRP. Some as high as $4000 over. Now, that may have changed after I ordered (at MSRP by the way) but that was the status as of March 21st 2002. I agree. Those who paid more than MSRP are probably ashamed. Don't feel bad guys. We feel your pain!
Old 08-03-2002, 07:04 PM
2003z

Originally posted by z350z
This is an interesting pattern: someone asks what everyone paid for their car, and lots of people pipe and and say "MSRP here!" "Yup, me too!" "Below MSRP for me!". This would lead one to believe that everyone is buying at MSRP (or even below), but I don't think that's true.

The truth is most likely that people who paid MSRP are proud of it and stand up to tell the world about it. But I suspect there are many who paid over MSRP, some considerably, who just don't want to admit it (no I'm not one of them!) I think if you could get the actual statistics (which may not be possible) you would find a lot of dollars being spent beyond the magic MSRP. This has to be the case simply because of the fact that almost every dealer within 100 miles of me is (or at least, was) charging well over MSRP for preorders!
Not necessarily. After people originally started making a stink to Nissan about the markups (via 1-800-NISSAN1) back in february, Nissan started cutting allocations to dealerships that were marking up. In fact, several people who had agreed to pay over msrp, said their dealership called them up and had reduced their price back to msrp even though they had already signed papers for a higher price. That is the reason Nissan required a signed buyers order to complete the pre-order, so they could ensure the pre-order cars weren't being marked up.

Now after the pre-orders, that will be another story.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:49 PM
Alex

Cool

The four dealers I checked with before selecting one, all quoted the MSRP, no more, no less.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:54 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

My wife talked to Nissan/8006477261/and the girl there stated "Nissan does not like dealers overcharging for the 350Z but there is nothing Nissan can do about it".

Seeing that the dealer I went through is charging a surcharge of $3k has really ticked me off as I read that many dealerships have honored Nissans request.

Seeing that I currently do not have a car to drive because I have sold my '00 Maxima right after I per ordered and I may not get the Z till late Oct. I just may go with something else, but one thing I will never do is again is per order a car sight unseen again! Not Nissans fault just bad dealerships and bad dealership will cost Nissan $$
Old 08-13-2002, 03:14 AM
Tubbs SF
Charter Member #85

I have a touring with silverstone / charcoal, floormats, and nav. Paid MSRP for the package, $1000 non refundable deposit. The only point my dealer made was that I have to pay sticker price, not the price on the preorder contract. They should be the same, but if Nissan raised (or lowered) the price since I put my deposit, my dealership was not responsible. It seemed fair to me, especially when you take into account that the majority of California order at that time were charging 5 - 15K over sticker. This one, hawyard nissan, was the only one of about 10 that my friedn and I contacted that would sell at MSRP. Hope this information aides you in your purchase.

Cheers,
Tubbs
Old 08-13-2002, 04:13 AM
Boomer

Default MSRP

Tubb SF has a good point. If you missed it, and I am usually one of those, my dealer was very upfront about it. If MSRP goes up, the price goes up accordingly, regardless of your signed contract. My salesman says it has happened in the past when MSRP'S have gone up a $1-200 and you have to pay it. I don't have a problem with that, its a very popular car and MSRP is a fair price.

On the other hand if the MSRP goes up $8-1000, then we will have a decision to make. Its very unlikely , since all the mags have spread the MSRP for each model everywhere. Next year, I fully expect we will see an increase in the MSRP if the demand continues to exceed the supply.

The only time it has happened to me, I had an agreement with the dealer, if the MSRP went up before I took delivery and I wasn't willing to pay it, my deposit would be refunded. I had ordered the first year Mazda RX7 and it was hot! Mazda was running double shifts to try to keep up with demand. Before I took delivery, Mazda raised the MSRP $800! In 1977, the increase was 8-10% of the total price! I said no thanks, took my deposit of $200 and bought a '78 BMW 320i. Actually, I had already bought the 320i and drove it to the dealership to get my deposit back. Needless to say, the sales manager was extremely upset!

That was then and now is now, that kind of gouging by a manufacturer is gone but the dealer remains, so keep your guard up. Be ready to produce evidence to the dealer that screwing you wouldn't be a good idea and invoke NNA and the BBB if necessary. Franchises have been revoked by Nissan before and will be again if a dealer deserves it.

Boomer
BR/FR/AT

Last edited by Boomer; 08-13-2002 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:23 AM
devin11

how long before they will sell them at below msrp.. do you think?
Old 08-13-2002, 05:23 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

"Be ready to produce evidence to the dealer that screwing you wouldn't be a good idea and invoke
NNA and the BBB if necessary. Franchises have been revoked by Nissan before and will be again if a dealer deserves it".

That statement would sound ok except what Nissan NA told my wife today. My wife teaches customer service to large corps. and said the girl she spoke with was very condencending. If what the Nissan rep said is true and I don't feel she would lie, Nissan does not really care what a dealership does as long as Nissan's overall market share is not hurt.

Nissan has a hot car and they know it. Why would they care about a few dealerships screwing the car buying public? I will only badmouth the dealership to ten people and they will go to another store. Only the dealership is hurt, not Nissan.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:57 AM
Boomer

Default MSRP W/PREORDERS

Originally posted by Thunderbolt
"Be ready to produce evidence to the dealer that screwing you wouldn't be a good idea and invoke
NNA and the BBB if necessary. Franchises have been revoked by Nissan before and will be again if a dealer deserves it".

That statement would sound ok except what Nissan NA told my wife today. My wife teaches customer service to large corps. and said the girl she spoke with was very condencending. If what the Nissan rep said is true and I don't feel she would lie, Nissan does not really care what a dealership does as long as Nissan's overall market share is not hurt.

Nissan has a hot car and they know it. Why would they care about a few dealerships screwing the car buying public? I will only badmouth the dealership to ten people and they will go to another store. Only the dealership is hurt, not Nissan.
I think we need some guidance from ZISME on this situation; if 1800NISSAN1 personnel are not doing their jobs, who do we turn to next? Where's the survey we completed? I gave them a good recommendation and thought they were somewhat helpful. I'd like to know who Thunderbolt's wife spoke to; she should be retrained or moved out of Customer Service altogether. It's obvious she's not doing her job.

Boomer