Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

PeopleFirst Loan

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 09:32 PM
VaGentleman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked what the current rate was and she told me 5.19%. Maybe they haven't updated their website.

The phone # is 1-888-222-5601.

I have my mortgage w/ Chase and refinanced last year (easy process too for a refinancing). I have only been pleased with them and would recommend them highly.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:36 PM
DUKE

Va Gentleman - I don't understand something.

I got a quote fom People First on $30,000 for 60 months at 5.49% and it was $572.90 a month for a total of $34,373.78.
Why was yours $578 a month at 5.19%?

Just trying to figure this financing thing out.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:40 PM
VaGentleman

Ok, I just checked on things. It seems that their current, best rate IS 5.19%. However, the rate I got was 5.79%. Sorry for the confusion.

I thought I had excellent credit..mmm.
Old 08-16-2002, 10:41 PM
jk5598224

Default Chase Again

Thanks for the feedback VaGentleman. I called and they said 5.49 for Florida, sames as Peoplefirst. Good to know the Refi went good. I just started yesterday, but it seems to be easier with the existing company. Saludos.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:38 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Matt

your fico score is almost the same as me (at least what it was last year) and peoplefirst rejected me also.

HOWEVER, you should know that most dealers won't take large downpayments on a credit card. my dealers had a limit of like $3000. that's cuz they pay a certain % of the transaction as fees..
I think he is talking about the checks you get from the credit cards offering low interest on amounts until payed off, I just got some for 4.5%, and my paperwork says I can use to transfer balances from other cards or as cash and deposit in my account. If I couldn't get a car loan with a low rate I might consider it but if you are looking at any financing in the future a credit card balance of 30K affects your score much more than a secured auto loan.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:11 AM
Droz

Originally posted by jeffw
How's this for cool. I applied at E-Loan and got 4.89% for 6 to 30k, 60 mo. Then I called up PeopleFirst (where I was already accepted for 5.49%) and they beat that rate so now I'm at 4.85%!

I wonder if I can get E-Loan to beat that rate now?

--
Jeff
Wow!!! Sweet deal. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of score(FICA)/credit rating would you say you have? Does carrying some credit card debt actually help? Answer what you want...any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:44 AM
jeffw

Originally posted by Droz

Wow!!! Sweet deal. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of score(FICA)/credit rating would you say you have? Does carrying some credit card debt actually help? Answer what you want...any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Last time I checked I think it was in the 700's, but it's been a while. I filed jointly with my wife so that helped.

We have a mortgage on a house that we've been paying for about a year. I generally have a fair amount of credit card debt because I pay for EVERYTHING with my SkyMiles American Express. However, I always pay it off each month.

From what I understand, your current credit card balance counts as debt that will lower your score (it's the making payments over time that raises it). So sending in an early credit card payment for the month can sometimes improve your score.

I would guess that it's the mortgage that helps the most in my case. Oh, and my wife has a loan for her car.

Good luck with your financing.
--
Jeff
Old 08-17-2002, 07:50 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by jeffw

Last time I checked I think it was in the 700's, but it's been a while. I filed jointly with my wife so that helped.

We have a mortgage on a house that we've been paying for about a year. I generally have a fair amount of credit card debt because I pay for EVERYTHING with my SkyMiles American Express. However, I always pay it off each month.

From what I understand, your current credit card balance counts as debt that will lower your score (it's the making payments over time that raises it). So sending in an early credit card payment for the month can sometimes improve your score.

I would guess that it's the mortgage that helps the most in my case. Oh, and my wife has a loan for her car.

Good luck with your financing.
--
Jeff
Unfortunately, paying off your credit cards each month (while a great policy to have as well as a commendable tactic) doesn't help your credit. Carrying a balance and consistently paying it off monthly on time will improve credit. Having a mortgage should be helping you. Other loans help as well.

Yes, current credit card debt does count on your credit.

Regards,
Todd
Old 08-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Droz

Is there a ratio or formula to follow regarding credit card debt?
How much is good? I only have one credit card with a $7,000 limit and $1,000 balance. I also have a 10K student loan. I'm making regular monthly payments on both. Am I doing ok?
I'm only asking because I was going to pay off my whole credit card balance and a third of my student loan before I read this thread.
Old 08-17-2002, 08:26 AM
ZUL8TR

Default peoples first

I was just approved at a rate of 4.75%. To get this rate you have to let them withdraw the money automatically from your checking account each month.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:38 PM
cheap

Does anyone know what the ratio of principle vs interest is thru eloan and ppl1st? For example, at Travis Federal credit union, all the interest is calculated beforehand and your payments pay off all the interest you'll owe before even TOUCHING principle. When this happens you wont save any money by making double payments or whatnot, it'll just pay off your loan that many payments sooner. Some places do it 50/50, and some on a sliding scale.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:44 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Droz
Is there a ratio or formula to follow regarding credit card debt?
How much is good? I only have one credit card with a $7,000 limit and $1,000 balance. I also have a 10K student loan. I'm making regular monthly payments on both. Am I doing ok?
I'm only asking because I was going to pay off my whole credit card balance and a third of my student loan before I read this thread.
If you have the cash go ahead and pay what you can off, and keep using the credit card for expenses you normally pay cash for and pay off every month, use a card that offers miles or points, just be disciplined on don't spend the cash also, set it aside for the monthly payment to the card. If you want look into the credit services offered by Experian and Equifax they are offering 30 days for free and I one of them at least has a feature that allows you to simulate various things such as lowering balances or increasing loans to see how they would affect your score.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:47 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by cheap
Does anyone know what the ratio of principle vs interest is thru eloan and ppl1st? For example, at Travis Federal credit union, all the interest is calculated beforehand and your payments pay off all the interest you'll owe before even TOUCHING principle. When this happens you wont save any money by making double payments or whatnot, it'll just pay off your loan that many payments sooner. Some places do it 50/50, and some on a sliding scale.
All of the loans I have had are I guess on a sliding scale, where they calculate the interest based on your current balance usually on a daily basis, Travis is screwing their customers, but thanks for the heads up I will check my eloan to make sure that is not the case, too many people to keep an eye on and keep from screwing you.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:33 AM
evoluder

Default Credit Card . . .

Originally posted by z350z
I don't get it either. I had a good credit score from Equifax (I think it was 753) but eloan.com rejected me for some reason. Weird. But my plan is to use a special deal my credit card is offering that gives me 3.9% until the balance is paid off (and put about $17k down). Sounds strange to use a credit card, but with a deal like that (and no additional fees of any kind), why not?
I too was planning on using the card for the down payment (just for the points, I was going to pay it off immediately), but be aware that most dealers will not let you do this as the credit card company gets like 4% of it. My dealer says he will only let me put 2k on the card. Oh well, 2000 free AMEX points for me!

Spencer
Old 08-18-2002, 02:38 AM
evoluder

Default Excellent question . . .

Originally posted by cheap
I too would like to know the answer to this.

Spencer