Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying my Z at End of My Lease - Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 PM
xirtam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my Z at End of My Lease - Any Advice?

Hey guys,

I have an 05 Z and I plan to purchase it at the end of my lease, which is a few months away. Do you guys have any advice on negotiating a better price? For example, one person told me to not contact Nissan and wait for them to contact me about the end of my lease so that they don't know that I am intersted in purchasing the car.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

You'd prolly be better off buying a new one w/ the incentives. I dont see how your lease wont be way in the hole.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 PM
blastoff99

Generally speaking, buying your car at the end of the lease does not work out well. Depends on what sort of terms you have, but I've never known it to be a pretty picture.

As for negotiating, this would have been something better done at the *beginning* of your relationship with this Z, not the potential end. I realize that's not too helpful now.

Recognize that leases are set up in Nissan's (and the dealership's) favor, and they're complicated enough that most "buyers" don't know how to negotiate on them. A lease does enable you to drop your payments by approx $100 a month compared to a purchase, but that's about the only thing good about it.

You might want to post some of the particulars: how much did you pay at signing, what are your payments, how many payments, what is the residual? sethgood or davidv might be able to better sort it out for you.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:44 PM
M_parallel

If this is a NMAC lease, the residuals are set really low to begin with. I haven't seen your paperwork, but based on all the other 350Z leases I have seen, you'll be hard pressed to get a better deal.

On some of the artifically inflated leases, you can call the bank and negotiate. Ask a friend in the car business for an auction report at the end of your lease and see if you have any leverage.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:29 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some lease agreements include a provision that allows you to buy the car at the end of the lease for a predetermined price (basically the residual value)

If your lease doesn't have a guaranteed buyout price, then at the end of the lease, its just another used car. They will negotiate a price with you the same as they would for someone who just walked in off the street.

The advantage to buying back your lease car is you know its history. If you buy another used Z, then its a crapshoot, like any used car.

bill

bill