Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

need quick advice on nismo!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009 | 08:58 AM
Brandon26pdx

Originally Posted by blastoff99

also, some buyers think that saying "OTD" makes them sound informed, although i don't think that's the case with our hero in this example.
ROFL, "our hero"

Been reading too much Horatio Alger?
Old 02-16-2009 | 09:01 AM
Entaille

price before TTL also varies by location, diferent states, different zip codes even..

if it's all so inaccurate why would anyone want info from here? I don't see that any worse then the OTD estimates.
Old 02-16-2009 | 09:04 AM
Brandon26pdx

Originally Posted by lgear080
This is a reaching statement. Clearly you underestimate your audience.

Anyone that fails to understand what is occuring today might be
misleading themselves in regards to the value of their automobile.
The car is worth $26k in cash, in FL, and you'll just have to deal
with it. This is 2009 - we're all ****ed. Happy President's Day.
In FL I'd buy that. Cars tend to be outrageously cheap there for some reason. As some else said, "reasonable offer" can vary wildly from region to region.
Old 02-16-2009 | 09:37 AM
floppymoppy1234

Originally Posted by davidv
I found when I do things quickly the results are often haphazard. But when I take my time the results are better. Get back to you on Monday.

lol i thought you were trying to mock me...

Originally Posted by blastoff99
1) YOU are the one "making the offer." you tell THEM what you will do. you are free to negotiate -- or not -- with them, but you are the one making the offer.

2) it is much easier for ppl to give you advice when you talk about numbers BEFORE tax and fees. "OTD" is not a real useful # because i have no idea what your tax rate is. mine is 8.7%. yours might be half that.

3) just because you got financed at this place last time doesn't mean it'll be easy this time, or at the same rate. the economy has changed (duh).

so: what is invoice? are there any rebates? how much is holdback (generally 3% of msrp... the dealer doesn't want you to know about this)? make an offer based on those #s. keep it simple.

yes, you should take the rebate rather than the financing, esp w/ such a large down payment. arrange your own financing, and then give the dealer a chance to meet or beat it. he will. good luck.

it took me so friggin' long to type this one-handed that you've probably already bought the car by now.......
Originally Posted by Entaille
price before TTL also varies by location, diferent states, different zip codes even..

if it's all so inaccurate why would anyone want info from here? I don't see that any worse then the OTD estimates.

yes the tax is different from state to state but only differs to about $100-$500 yes theres a different but not that significant when comparing the prices.

thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it.

To clarify things, I ask for OTD prices because i think there's less room for the dealers to add BS fees at the end and jack the price back up. While i was at the dealer he offered 34k OTD which comes out to the car being 31,371.xx and the rest being tax and such.

I wanted to believe that the nismos were not selling, but that is not true here in NYC. I've been looking for a nismo since dec. and found 4 dealers with nismos 20miles from where i live. I called them all before i visited this particular one and they were all sold! this is the only dealer i can get a nismo from 20miles from my house. So, within 2-3 months... 3 nismos were sold. When i called the asking price was about the same so i think the others paid about the same.

After coming home and working out the numbers, blastoff, you are right taking the rebate is a better deal. So if i take the 34k OTD with the rebate i will be paying 28,871.10 for the car but at 5.8%APR i called for a quote on a loan.

so... again... is this a good deal? THANKS AGAIN!
Old 02-16-2009 | 10:23 AM
Brandon26pdx

Originally Posted by floppymoppy1234
lol i thought you were trying to mock me...

yes the tax is different from state to state but only differs to about $100-$500 yes theres a different but not that significant when comparing the prices.

thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it.

To clarify things, I ask for OTD prices because i think there's less room for the dealers to add BS fees at the end and jack the price back up. While i was at the dealer he offered 34k OTD which comes out to the car being 31,371.xx and the rest being tax and such.

I wanted to believe that the nismos were not selling, but that is not true here in NYC. I've been looking for a nismo since dec. and found 4 dealers with nismos 20miles from where i live. I called them all before i visited this particular one and they were all sold! this is the only dealer i can get a nismo from 20miles from my house. So, within 2-3 months... 3 nismos were sold. When i called the asking price was about the same so i think the others paid about the same.

After coming home and working out the numbers, blastoff, you are right taking the rebate is a better deal. So if i take the 34k OTD with the rebate i will be paying 28,871.10 for the car but at 5.8%APR i called for a quote on a loan.

so... again... is this a good deal? THANKS AGAIN!
They're probably already including the $2500 rebate in the $31,371+TTL offer is my guess, but IMO, that is a pretty strong deal...that's at least $8,000 off MSRP, and possibly a bit more.

Go ahead and ask for the 1.9% for the hell of it, but if not, at least check and see what they can offer for financing. Dealer got me 3.9% for 36-84 months on a new car through a local credit union. Not bad.
Old 02-16-2009 | 02:39 PM
NISMO_558

Originally Posted by lgear080
This is a reaching statement. Clearly you underestimate your audience.

Anyone that fails to understand what is occuring today might be
misleading themselves in regards to the value of their automobile.
The car is worth $26k in cash, in FL, and you'll just have to deal
with it. This is 2009 - we're all ****ed. Happy President's Day.
It may be worth $26k in FL, but the OP isn't from Florida. I'm sure the only reason why their so cheap in the southern states is because they have a whole **** load of them, it's a little different in the northern states where their more rare, hence a higher price. So $33K OTD for a new '08 nismo in his region is a good deal.
Old 02-16-2009 | 06:19 PM
Zero

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
you say the nismo z is over rated? regaurdless of the argument the 370z is just as over-rated.
Nismos is not over rated. It's a factory rice out Z.
Old 02-17-2009 | 09:20 AM
lgear080

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
It may be worth $26k in FL, but the OP isn't from Florida. I'm sure the only reason why their so cheap in the southern states is because they have a whole **** load of them, it's a little different in the northern states where their more rare, hence a higher price. So $33K OTD for a new '08 nismo in his region is a good deal.
No - you're missing the point. Buy the car in FL, no tax, transport to
the frigid north (for $1k +/-), pay taxes and you're good to go. Buying
a car is not best performed locally. Everyone should look all over the US
for the best deal. Fixing yourself to a specific geographic disposition
just ensures you'll get ****ed harder.

Supply is likely a fraction of the reason that vehicles are cheaper in FL.
Overhead is likely significantly worse in south FL, the west coast (CA),
and NY - leading to dealers cutting better deals. There are also more
private sellers driving the market as a whole into a tailspin.

I reiterate - it's just a $26k car. This is a world market. I can ship a car
almost anywhere worth travelling/living. Stop focusing on your local
retailer. Together we can take control of the situation and create an
economy of scale for buyers.

Perhaps you've never shipped a car before?
Old 02-17-2009 | 10:45 AM
Entaille

I for one, would not purchase a car that I could not personally inspect and drive. Not going to take someone's word for it, I want to see it first hand.
Old 02-17-2009 | 10:54 AM
Entaille

I should add to that comment that I am well aware you can get an independant mechanic to go check it out and hear his feedback on it, but I would still worry.

many people do it this way and have it shipped for less then what it would cost locally though..