Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

need quick advice on nismo!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009 | 09:15 PM
floppymoppy1234

Default need quick advice on nismo!

hey guys... i just got offered 34k OTD tax+title etc. for a black 08 new nismo,this was after haggling. All the paper work is set up and all i gotta do is sign. i asked them to let me sleep on it and i would be back tomorrow morning. I wanted 33k OTD but they flat out said no. Should i buy the car for 34k? good deal? can i get a better deal? i need your opinion! thanks!
Old 02-14-2009 | 09:31 PM
lbz

My opinion on the Nismo is that it is over rated and over priced. Maybe not the opinion you were looking for...

I would think you could get into a 370Z for the same money.
Old 02-14-2009 | 09:39 PM
davidv

I found when I do things quickly the results are often haphazard. But when I take my time the results are better. Get back to you on Monday.
Old 02-14-2009 | 10:12 PM
6speedwonder

remember they are desperate for your business, not the other way around....i just played the same game with my 08 base and i basically walked because they wouldnt give me the deal i wanted for my trade and their bottom line.

2 days later i got a call from the sales manager telling me he'll do what i wanted. The new cars are on the lot and if they are a franchised dealer then they are paying lot fees on every leftover 08 they have regardless of what trim level it is so I'd say wait a while and see if they'll do you any better.
Old 02-15-2009 | 04:34 AM
sektor 11

there are 08 Nismos "used" with 6k miles on them for a lot less than that. I would go that route.
Old 02-15-2009 | 04:47 AM
jmark

Not bad. Make sure you get the Nissan financing deal and rebate.
Old 02-15-2009 | 06:08 AM
lgear080

$26k otd.. w ttt!

that's what the car is worth. sorry to burst your
bubble. tell the dealer to **** off...
Old 02-15-2009 | 09:14 AM
hran

i wouldnt say it's 26k, but honestly 33k OTD is still too much.
Old 02-15-2009 | 10:41 AM
Blu Hvn

There is a post on the Nismo forum about how much people paid. That may help.
Old 02-15-2009 | 01:24 PM
floppymoppy1234

thanks for the advice guys.. i turned it down.. asked for 33k OTD he said no.. i left... what im confused about is, on this site http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car5.htm he says

"For loans under $15000, rebates at $750 or above usually beat a low interest rate"

so i was going to put 10k down and i would be taking a loan for 24k but when i got home and did the math. If i take the $2500 rebate over the 1.9APR, i actually get a lower monthly payment than taking the lower interest. Am i doing this right? assuming i would be getting 6%APR on the rebate route which i should be approved of because i bought an altima coupe there and got 5.7%APR
Old 02-15-2009 | 03:04 PM
blastoff99

1) YOU are the one "making the offer." you tell THEM what you will do. you are free to negotiate -- or not -- with them, but you are the one making the offer.

2) it is much easier for ppl to give you advice when you talk about numbers BEFORE tax and fees. "OTD" is not a real useful # because i have no idea what your tax rate is. mine is 8.7%. yours might be half that.

3) just because you got financed at this place last time doesn't mean it'll be easy this time, or at the same rate. the economy has changed (duh).

so: what is invoice? are there any rebates? how much is holdback (generally 3% of msrp... the dealer doesn't want you to know about this)? make an offer based on those #s. keep it simple.

yes, you should take the rebate rather than the financing, esp w/ such a large down payment. arrange your own financing, and then give the dealer a chance to meet or beat it. he will. good luck.

it took me so friggin' long to type this one-handed that you've probably already bought the car by now.......
Old 02-15-2009 | 04:28 PM
NISMO_558

Originally Posted by lbz
My opinion on the Nismo is that it is over rated and over priced. Maybe not the opinion you were looking for...

I would think you could get into a 370Z for the same money.
you say the nismo z is over rated? regaurdless of the argument the 370z is just as over-rated.
Old 02-15-2009 | 04:32 PM
NISMO_558

Originally Posted by hran
i wouldnt say it's 26k, but honestly 33k OTD is still too much.
Originally Posted by lgear080
$26k otd.. w ttt!

that's what the car is worth. sorry to burst your
bubble. tell the dealer to **** off...
just becuase you guys cant afford $33K doesnt mean $33K for a brand new '08 nismo is too much, thats actually pretty decent.
Old 02-15-2009 | 09:50 PM
Brandon26pdx

There's a *lot* of 08 Nismos collecting dust on dealer lots around my area. They're just a really tough sell in a market like this...even if you can beat them up bad on the price, not many guys are dropping $30k+ on a weekend toy lately, and many of the guys that can afford to drive one are put off by the extreme boy racer image it throws off, and may not want to be driving something like that every day. I could have bought one myself if I wanted, but the price and the image were wrong for me.

Point is I would hit them low on price, because that's all they'll be bringing these days. If you really want one go to the nissan website and see which dealers have what in inventory. I would submit bid offers of maybe $29k+TTL and see what happens. Remember they're desperate to offload these so they'll entertain *any* serious offer.

Last edited by Brandon26pdx; 02-16-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2009 | 04:48 AM
davidv

OK its Monday and I have thought this over. Offer $31,350.
Old 02-16-2009 | 04:53 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by blastoff99
1)
2) it is much easier for ppl to give you advice when you talk about numbers BEFORE tax and fees. "OTD" is not a real useful # because i have no idea what your tax rate is. mine is 8.7%. yours might be half that.
Agree. Not sure why buyers attempt to confound us with out-the-door prices. Like I am going to calculate taxes for every state, then work backwards?

Its probably because the dealer is doing some hocus-pocus with the numbers to confuse the buyer.
Old 02-16-2009 | 05:15 AM
blastoff99

Originally Posted by davidv
Agree. Not sure why buyers attempt to confound us with out-the-door prices. Like I am going to calculate taxes for every state, then work backwards?

Its probably because the dealer is doing some hocus-pocus with the numbers to confuse the buyer.

partly right. another part is that very few buyers know how to negotiate for the price of a car, so they throw everything into the mix. it momentarily does not occur to them that tax is non-negotiable; the dealer just collects it.

also, some buyers think that saying "OTD" makes them sound informed, although i don't think that's the case with our hero in this example.

and most buyers are "payment buyers." all they really care about is what their monthly payment will be. they just THINK they care what the price of the car is. since a lot of buyers are trying to skate through w/ little to no down, tax does matter since it gets rolled in. again, i'm not saying that's the case here, since our buyer has a substantial down payment. but that's how it is mostly.

i sold cars briefly. i lasted about a year, so although i don't claim to be Mrs. Expert on this, i learned a few things. if buyers would go in with all the facts, know what they are trying to accomplish, and stay calm, things would generally go more smoothly....

good luck, floppy.
Old 02-16-2009 | 06:33 AM
Entaille

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
just becuase you guys cant afford $33K doesnt mean $33K for a brand new '08 nismo is too much, thats actually pretty decent.
did that make you feel better about your nismo, by saying others can't afford your super expensive car? hahaha...

I know what TTL cost in my area and I throw OTD prices to people often. They aren't going to use the argument "well this person on the 350z forums said you should give me the car for this price" so I'm not concerned with it much. they can take it with a grain of salt and apply their own research to the cost.
Old 02-16-2009 | 07:44 AM
lgear080

Originally Posted by NISMO_558
This is a reaching statement. Clearly you underestimate your audience.

Anyone that fails to understand what is occuring today might be
misleading themselves in regards to the value of their automobile.
The car is worth $26k in cash, in FL, and you'll just have to deal
with it. This is 2009 - we're all ****ed. Happy President's Day.

Last edited by lgear080; 02-16-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2009 | 08:55 AM
Brandon26pdx

Originally Posted by davidv

Yes, it's much eaiser to talk sales price on the vehicle...price *before* sales tax/title/license fees, (and whatever else they manage to charge you for.)

Quick Reply: need quick advice on nismo!