Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Tried to finance a car today declined with 10k down

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Cozmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speaking of credit, what do you guys use to check your scores?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
jackie chan

my score is in the mid 600s and I would put my ability to pay up there with anyones in this thread
Old 03-08-2009, 04:13 PM
nothingremains

Originally Posted by HyperKnight
Yeah I don't know what's going on with all the elitism in the thread, but sh*t happens and sometimes it's beyond a person's control
I think my answer is very productive and makes a ton of sense.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
spf4000

Originally Posted by jackie chan
20k is a pretty good indicator the guy can pay....
Actually, it doesn't. If he's putting down 20k but has 40k additional in the bank, sure. But if he's putting down 20k and only has 5k left in the bank, it's not a really good indicator of his financial stability.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
jackie chan

Originally Posted by spf4000
Actually, it doesn't. If he's putting down 20k but has 40k additional in the bank, sure. But if he's putting down 20k and only has 5k left in the bank, it's not a really good indicator of his financial stability.
or if you realistically look at it, the guy just committed 20k cash to a car and has a lot more invested than most people that finance cars on the road.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 AM
PennZtateLion

Originally Posted by HKS-Z
my score dropped ater financing 30k..but it went back up,then down after i lost my house ..so i feel like im 18 again trying to get that 740..but on time Z payments have kept me from going under.)Good luck to anyone trying to get anything right now.I went from making 2k a month to working at sheetz....
Thread Jack ..... SHEETZ is the Bomb ... MTO FTW!!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 AM
07rdsterGT

Man, MTO was so 2001.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:47 PM
lady_z33

Didn't expect so many replies...I was actually just venting. The reason my credit score is bad is that I am diabetic, and when I was younger I did not have health insurance, had a few hospital visits that i could not pay. Then last year I was working full time, had health insurance, went to the hospital again for a few days, and I could not pay my 2,000 deductable.
This was the only health insurance coverage my job provides.

I have good car credit, no late payments, was last financed through Toyota Financial. I have not missed a payment for about 3 or 4 years now on anything except for the last hospital bill, so my score has gone up, and its still going up. I know I have bad credit, it just sucks because they got me to the financing department, after we had already worked out the payments. I felt like I got the car, small talk from the finance guy, and then all of a sudden he tells me, I was declined, and thats that, now get out. He did not even ask me about putting more down, or getting a cosigner, never even asked, just basically said sorry, time to go.

He did say his 100k job was now 40k, and the banks were not financing anyone. I feel that in any other economy I would have got the car, oh well..

By the way I make about 50k/year, no credit cards, my rent is 650, and have since paid back all collections on my credit.

Last edited by lady_z33; 03-10-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:17 AM
07rdsterGT

I feel that in any other economy I would have got the car, oh well..
I agree with you, especially since you are already financed
Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 AM
jackie chan

my suggestion is to look into a different make like ford for financing.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 AM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a special place in hell for the credit reporting agencies..period. 1.5 years ago I got my Z financed for 6.9 through USAA Federal savings bank. (Credit score then was around 770 I believe)They also told me they could give me a 25K platinum card if I wanted it. I haven't had a credit card in 10 years ( Yes I paid cash for everything!) so I figured I would use it for business purchases. I charged and paid off over $120,000.00 in purchases in about 15 months time. Things obviously slowed a little for me and I ended up making the minimum payments for about 4 months on this card. Feb.1st this year I made a $10,000.00 payment on that card and went on vacation. I get back and was checking the purchases on line and there's a note there saying my credit card limit has been reduced by $10,000.00 citing "credit issues". I was like WTF????
So what changed?..hmmmm well I paid off one piece of equipment and my wife's excursion REDUCING my cash going out by $1900.00 a month. I also paid off $7000.00 in furniture before the due date. My Z payment as most I have are all auto debited...

So again..WHAT THE HELL CHANGED BESIDES REDUCING MY EXPENSES?????
You try to get a credit score from anyone and they give you a look like they are holding top secret government documents, when its YOUR CREDIT they are looking at! They won't tell you what's wrong..you have to try to figure it out. It takes months of letters to get something removed that may not even be legitimate, but yet they can FUKC your credit in two seconds flat...it's all ********! and it infuriates the hell out of me. That's why cash is always better...I'm still going to be debt free this year come hell or high water..The three agencies can burn in hell as far as I am concerned!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Brick-Z

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
At 620 she should qualify for something even if it's in the 12%-18% apr range. She's got something on his report that's disqualifying her.
Edited after reading your last post.

Credit scores are not really a good indicator of your ability to pay back a loan. I have seen scores in the 550-625 range who have paid everything on time and simply had a few medical collections which brought down their score drastically. I have also worked with individuals who had 750-770 scores but knew damn well that they were overextended and were on the verge of filing for BK. One must look at the entire report (pay available, time in file, delinquency, unsecured debt, DIR) to get a better understanding of the overall credit profile.

Last edited by Brick-Z; 03-11-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 AM
thrill350z

my friend and his girl friend got denied when co-signing to finance a $1,200 TV
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lady_z33
I cant believe it, I went to three different dealerships to try and get an 08 350Z, 10k down, and got denied everywhere. My credit score is a 620, so its kinda low, but damn, depressing
That is not low in NJ granted you wouldnt qualify for a BMW but any Nissan dealership would accept ur 10K and move on. If you default they'll take the car back and keep ur 10K....
Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Didn't expect so many replies...I was actually just venting. The reason my credit score is bad is that I am diabetic, and when I was younger I did not have health insurance, had a few hospital visits that i could not pay. Then last year I was working full time, had health insurance, went to the hospital again for a few days, and I could not pay my 2,000 deductable.
This was the only health insurance coverage my job provides.

I have good car credit, no late payments, was last financed through Toyota Financial. I have not missed a payment for about 3 or 4 years now on anything except for the last hospital bill, so my score has gone up, and its still going up. I know I have bad credit, it just sucks because they got me to the financing department, after we had already worked out the payments. I felt like I got the car, small talk from the finance guy, and then all of a sudden he tells me, I was declined, and thats that, now get out. He did not even ask me about putting more down, or getting a cosigner, never even asked, just basically said sorry, time to go.

He did say his 100k job was now 40k, and the banks were not financing anyone. I feel that in any other economy I would have got the car, oh well..

By the way I make about 50k/year, no credit cards, my rent is 650, and have since paid back all collections on my credit.
The problem you are having is the Banks the dealership are using. If you already had financed a car through toyota then try and use the bank you used for that loan.. I myself was looking for a new or used car after i paid off a loan through capitol one and found a nice and clean 2004 or 05 C class Benz in 2007 that went for about 20k and it wasnt that the dealership denied me but tried banging me on interest (very common in NJ) well long story short i went to Nissan and found my current Z a less and Captiol One ok'd the deal and gave me a lower rate then i had on my previous loan. All worked out. 620 is fine for a car loan that's for sure...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$650 for rent? Do you live in Riverside? Or just renting a room?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Brick-Z

Check your local credit union. There is no reason that with a 620 score and a $10K downpayment should not get you a loan. This is barring a reposession on a previous vehicle.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackie chan
probably due to lack of credit, DTI, job time and so on.
ding, ding, ding ... we have a winner. DTI would be my biggest concern If I were a lender.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:12 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Try a Federal Credit Union, dude. Open an account with $5 or $10, and give it a shot; they tend to be a bit more flexible than regular Banks. Otherwise, it's waiting game time.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Brick-Z

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
ding, ding, ding ... we have a winner. DTI would be my biggest concern If I were a lender.
Ding, ding, ding......you are wrong.

"By the way I make about 50k/year, no credit cards, my rent is 650, and have since paid back all collections on my credit."

Her DIR is probably very low.

Quick Reply: Tried to finance a car today declined with 10k down