Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Advice for purchasing a used Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
VQ-350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for purchasing a used Z

Hi, I'm new on this site as I recently decided to buy a 350Z. I've been after this car for quite a while and given the fact that the economy is not in such a good state right now and that I have some cash, I can finally buy this beauty of a car! I currenlty drive a V6 Nissan Altima and I needed the space because I'm an architecture student and had to build huge models at the beginning of my career which I had to haul in the Altima. But now, being a fifth year student, I'm not required to make architectural models anymore, and I rarely use the extra space I have on my current car.

Anyway, I recently found a 2004 Touring model with 90,000 miles on it. The seller is willing to sell it to me for 9K. I haven't looked at the car personally but if its in good condition, I think it's a pretty good deal.. honestly, I would prefer a car with less mileage but this is the least expensive one I've found so far. I've encountered some 03' models with half that mileage selling for around 10,500 and I'm willing to spend a little more money on a car that's been driven considerably less. What do you all think, is this a good deal? does the car have too many miles? any purchasing suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

90,000 miles may present problems that you cannot see:

Shocks
Wheel bearings
Water pump
Clutch
Brakes
Window motors

You can buy a car and quickly put $2,500 into it. So there is no free lunch. You will pay for mechanical reliability up front (a 350Z with 45,000) or later in repairs (a 350Z with 90,000 miles).
Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
MB33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome look for something with lower mileage got me an 03 base with 37k for $13000
Old 04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
kyx4n

just put a little more money into it for getting a less mileage car, so you don't have to pay more later on
Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 AM
VQ-350Z

Yeah, I think I agree 90,000 miles is a bit too much...and I am willing to spend a little more for a car that has been driven less. Thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
x7productions

i got an 04 ethusiast for like 10k with 48k miles here in cali.
clean title too! good deal me thinks
i wouldnt get one with that many miles honsetly. just keep lookin and you'll find a deal im sure, or just invest a little more. btw imo, the headligths on the 03-05 suck, just an fyi, when compared to the bixenons on the 06+
Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 PM
VQ-350Z

Yeah, I couldn't agree more, it is too many miles and I am aware of the changes that the post 06' models have...I love the headlights on the 06 + Z's...but I am looking for something around 11,000 with 50k miles or less. I don't think I can find an 06' + model at that price and I am looking to buy a 350Z really soon.. I am specifically looking for a Touring because it comes with leather and other extras such as the Bose.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
x7productions

Originally Posted by VQ-350Z
Yeah, I couldn't agree more, it is too many miles and I am aware of the changes that the post 06' models have...I love the headlights on the 06 + Z's...but I am looking for something around 11,000 with 50k miles or less. I don't think I can find an 06' + model at that price and I am looking to buy a 350Z really soon.. I am specifically looking for a Touring because it comes with leather and other extras such as the Bose.
yeah, leathers are nice. i picked up a pair of 06 leathers for $150 on craigslist, working on putting them in. my friend got an 06 with the bose system, me and him both didn't like it that much, but i guess you can listen too it yourself and decide when you find one and give it a test drive and pairs of 06+ headlights are like 700-800 on here incase you wanted to upgrade when you bought yours.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 AM
VQ-350Z

Originally Posted by x7productions
yeah, leathers are nice. i picked up a pair of 06 leathers for $150 on craigslist, working on putting them in. my friend got an 06 with the bose system, me and him both didn't like it that much, but i guess you can listen too it yourself and decide when you find one and give it a test drive and pairs of 06+ headlights are like 700-800 on here incase you wanted to upgrade when you bought yours.

I was wondering, is it 800 for one headlight or for both? I do want to upgrade once I buy my car. I haven't looked much in the forums but are there people selling their cars here by any chance?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 AM
VQ-350Z

I am also looking at an 03' touring with 70k miles for 11,000. I saw the car in person and they have not taken good care of the interior but the car has no major cosmetic issues. I'm trying to look for a miles/price balance, don't want to pay too much and don't want a car with too many miles.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 AM
x7productions

I was wondering, is it 800 for one headlight or for both? I do want to upgrade once I buy my car. I haven't looked much in the forums but are there people selling their cars here by any chance?
On the forums/ebay is about 600-800 for the pair
Dealer is like 1200 each last time I got a quote :/
(HIDs for both obv)
I haven't checked, but check out the private marketplace on here,
there might be some people selling.

I am also looking at an 03' touring with 70k miles for 11,000. I saw the car in person and they have not taken good care of the interior but the car has no major cosmetic issues. I'm trying to look for a miles/price balance, don't want to pay too much and don't want a car with too many miles.
That's not too bad. 70k is kinda pushing it though imo, but if the car was taken care of well, then it should be ok. If you are serious at getting it, I'd recommend taking it to a mechanic or nissan dealer, and paying for one of those full inspections. I think when I did it on a Z before I got the one I have now it cost like $30-$40 (didn't go to dealer, dealer charged like $100+). They found all sorts of problems like the rear differential was bad and suspension was going out, etc,. So I didn't buy that Z, then found the one I have now with no problems If the seller is serious with selling, then I don't think they will have a problem getting it checked it out, just tell them your going to pay for it. CarFAX reports are good also, but if the car got in an accident and it wasn't reported and they fixed it themselves, then it doesn't help much lol.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited by x7productions; 04-16-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:54 AM
VQ-350Z

On the forums/ebay is about 600-800 for the pair
Dealer is like 1200 each last time I got a quote :/
(HIDs for both obv)
I haven't checked, but check out the private marketplace on here,
there might be some people selling.

That's not too bad. 70k is kinda pushing it though imo, but if the car was taken care of well, then it should be ok. If you are serious at getting it, I'd recommend taking it to a mechanic or nissan dealer, and paying for one of those full inspections. I think when I did it on a Z before I got the one I have now it cost like $30-$40 (didn't go to dealer, dealer charged like $100+). They found all sorts of problems like the rear differential was bad and suspension was going out, etc,. So I didn't buy that Z, then found the one I have now with no problems If the seller is serious with selling, then I don't think they will have a problem getting it checked it out, just tell them your going to pay for it. CarFAX reports are good also, but if the car got in an accident and it wasn't reported and they fixed it themselves, then it doesn't help much lol.

Hope this info helps.

Definately all this info helps and I appreciate it...I'm kinda mad cause they just sold an 03' 350Z Touring around my area for about $10,500 with around 45k miles. The vehicle was in good condition because I checked it out personally when they told me it was sold...I know these cars are selling for a little higher than that but this is exactly the kind of deal I'm looking for
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 AM
xsupan0va

Definately all this info helps and I appreciate it...I'm kinda mad cause they just sold an 03' 350Z Touring around my area for about $10,500 with around 45k miles. The vehicle was in good condition because I checked it out personally when they told me it was sold...I know these cars are selling for a little higher than that but this is exactly the kind of deal I'm looking for
wow man how do you find that kind of deal????
enlighten me please!!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
VQ-350Z

Originally Posted by xsupan0va
wow man how do you find that kind of deal????
enlighten me please!!
LOL, trust me, I know what I want is below the market value of the car, but there are people out there who are willing to let these cars go for that amount of money and they're clean cars too...you just have to do a search on various websites and try to find vehicles that are further from where you live but not too far..Also, I've found some particular sellers that are willing to slash as much as $3,000 on a car just because they need the money. You just have to be patient and always offer below what they're selling...there's someone out there who needs the money and will bite the hook!

The reason why I don't want to spend more money, my limit is $11,000 is because I'm a student and in a LOT of debt from school...I can't afford to spend more money on a car right now, to put into perspective, just one class I'm taking this summer is the price of the 350Z I want to purchase!!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 AM
x7productions

LOL, trust me, I know what I want is below the market value of the car, but there are people out there who are willing to let these cars go for that amount of money and they're clean cars too...you just have to do a search on various websites and try to find vehicles that are further from where you live but not too far..Also, I've found some particular sellers that are willing to slash as much as $3,000 on a car just because they need the money. You just have to be patient and always offer below what they're selling...there's someone out there who needs the money and will bite the hook!

The reason why I don't want to spend more money, my limit is $11,000 is because I'm a student and in a LOT of debt from school...I can't afford to spend more money on a car right now, to put into perspective, just one class I'm taking this summer is the price of the 350Z I want to purchase!!
Yep, seems about right. Espically in this economy, I'm sure a lot of people (not all) can't afford their cars (including Zs etc,.), so thats why they are selling them real cheap. That '03 touring seemed like a steal..

Also, be sure to figure out how much your insurance is going to be! I think after all my discounts my insurance payment ends up being 188/m Not that bad, but still haha. Nationwide ftw! If anyone needs a quote from Nationwide, lmk, my insurance agent is pretty good at getting a good deal while not lacking coverage.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 AM
xsupan0va

what websites are you looking at?
autotrader? cars.com? ebay?
I have been looking for a couple of months already and have yet to find a Z under 40k miles for 10k. (seen some but they were salvage,rebuilt,flood)
and Yes I am also a student in debt lol.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM
x7productions

I have been looking for a couple of months already and have yet to find a Z under 40k miles for 10k. (seen some but they were salvage,rebuilt,flood)
eh? http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1121113669.html
Not sure how far that is from you, or if its still available.
'03 Track - 44xxx k - $10,5
Maybe worth checking out?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
xsupan0va

thanks for taking the time to help
but i need auto. Too much traffic driving. yea... I know Auto are less frequently on the market.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
VQ-350Z

I'm mainly looking at the ones you mentioned except ebay. I also look for them in in craigslist. You're right a lot of them are salvage, rebuilt, etc. but I've found many that have around 10k-11k that have a clean title but they sell as soon as they're put for sale! Just keep looking and good luck let me know what happens...oh, about ebay, I don't feel comfortable buying a car there...Can you explain how it works?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
VQ-350Z

Not bad at all!! Man, too bad I live too far!

Quick Reply: Advice for purchasing a used Z