Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Getting a 350Z/G35COUPE

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM
3ncor3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting a 350Z/G35COUPE

Hey guys I am thinking of these two cars. I was thinking of the Z in the first place but things like a usable trunk space and rear seats attracted some of my attention to the G as well...

Basically I was wondering:

How is the reliability of these cars? What about the repair cost? Is the engine reliable?

Do these cars show any symptoms of premature rust?

If buying one, what are the things to look at/inspect most thoroughly?

Are those engines with timing belts or timing chains?

And what is your general opinion on the Z vs the G?

Thanks in advance for all responses and I am new here, so I really hope that I posted this in the right section!

-Drew
Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
*Boose*

I'm going to break it down nicely. Congrats, but all of your questions have been answered before. If you just ran a search it would've taken you less time than making the post. But to answer the reliability question. It depends on who owned it before you did. A Z can be very forgiving or very unfortunate. Also maintenance costs are what you think they are. My 30k is $550 after tax. Tires are about 700-1000 to replace all four with some decent RE070's.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
3ncor3

Originally Posted by NoWin
I'm going to break it down nicely. Congrats, but all of your questions have been answered before. If you just ran a search it would've taken you less time than making the post. But to answer the reliability question. It depends on who owned it before you did. A Z can be very forgiving or very unfortunate. Also maintenance costs are what you think they are. My 30k is $550 after tax. Tires are about 700-1000 to replace all four with some decent RE070's.
I'll be honest with you, I spent a good 2 hours doing the research on both of those vehicles as I do have some experience in forums and I know how it annoys members to answer the same questions over and over but I was finding my questions rather specific and the answers for them rather difficult to find in more than one source - which explains why I wanted to ask the actual owners by being more specific.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:04 PM
JEKL

Not to be a jerk, but I have no idea how you spent all that time searching. I just went to Google and did a search for G35 timing belt or chain and found an answer in less than 30 seconds.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome.

This is a great source for 350Z-G35 information. Read. Learn. Make an informed decision.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM
3ncor3

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Not to be a jerk, but I have no idea how you spent all that time searching. I just went to Google and did a search for G35 timing belt or chain and found an answer in less than 30 seconds.

Ok, but that was not my only question

Anyway,

I also wanted to ask: does the 350z suffer from similar oil consumption problems as the g35 6MT does? What is the reason of the oil consumption? Rings? Gaskets?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:10 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by 3ncor3
Ok, but that was not my only question

Anyway,

I also wanted to ask: does the 350z suffer from similar oil consumption problems as the g35 6MT does? What is the reason of the oil consumption? Rings? Gaskets?
Another question that a simple search would provide a plethora of information on. Oil consumption has been talked about on this forum maybe several hundred times. I will stear you in the right direction. SEARCH the DE Rev-Up engine that came on the '05 Anniversary Edition (only that model for that year) and all '06 models. The oil consumption issues only occured on the 6MT versions.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:21 AM
3ncor3

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Another question that a simple search would provide a plethora of information on. Oil consumption has been talked about on this forum maybe several hundred times. I will stear you in the right direction. SEARCH the DE Rev-Up engine that came on the '05 Anniversary Edition (only that model for that year) and all '06 models. The oil consumption issues only occured on the 6MT versions.

Thank you for informative guidance!

I also found the answers for most of my questions on the site (props for the site) but I could not find anything about rust, so I guess there are no issues? Could the people living where it snows a lot comment on this? I would obviously rust proof it lt well (I live in east Canada) but is it something to particularly worry about?(like on a maza 3)
Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
davidv

Which did you choose? Or did you go with the RSX?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 AM
davidv

RSX for you. Sorry.