Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

LOOKING TO BUY A 350z ANY POINTERS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 03:16 PM
IamJKAN

Default LOOKING TO BUY A 350z ANY POINTERS?

So Im looking to buy a used 350z and i was wondering if there are any pointers I could use. Like max number of miles I should be getting, etc.

Thanks everyone
Old 02-02-2010 | 03:36 PM
Zing!

Max number of miles? mpg or what?
1.you need more info in what you want....what color/trim you want, auto or manual transmission.

2.If buying from private owner get the VIN number and run a carfax
what is the owners attitute? If its a kid chances are its been dogged (dont hop on my case people i'm 22)
If buying from a stealership just remember they can detail any car to look brand new when its truely a bucket

3.Have you factored in insurance cost,premium fuel cost,maintaince,etc,etc

4.You do realize you have no rear seats?!?!?!?
Old 02-02-2010 | 04:05 PM
TraviesoTaino

Yea those are all reall good. One of the biggest Id have to agree is the insurance. How much up front/monthly etc. Number of violations on your license are all good things to keep in mind. Take your time to make a decision. Dont jump all over one just because its got a nice set of wheels for example. If they deny you a carfax then you know somethings up. A good seler will have nothing to hide.
Old 02-02-2010 | 04:13 PM
IamJKAN

thanks for replying btw.
wats a VIN? and where do I request a carfax would the seller know?
Im a senior in high school and going to college next fall.
Im thinking of a manual and any color just depends on price
my budget is 25k but im trying to only spend 20k and save the rest for gas and stuff
insurance my parents will still pay for me so im set. lucky me...for now.

and work so money wouldnt be a problem and in college i continue to work.

ive just always wanted a 350z. but my friends also say look into a g35,

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-02-2010 | 04:30 PM
Zing!

Vehicle Identification Number
its printed on the title,firewall(wall between engine and driver compartment),on the dash visible from outside
not sure if i can post a link to another website but www.carfax.com you enter the vin and it tells you history of the car...you have to pay..some sellers will provide this

You can get a very nice Z with under 50,000 miles for 14-17,000 just check craigslist,autotrader,cars.com,and of course the classified section

What i usually do is when i get a used(new to me)car I change all the fluids, call me paranoid. A well maintained Z will have documentation of past services whether it be from a shop/dealer, or reciept of parts(meaning the person did his own maintaince)
Old 02-02-2010 | 04:32 PM
Zing!

just read your in maryland...another thing to consider do you have other transportation in inclement weather? It just snowed here in North Carolina and i dont have a beater so i had to drive my Z to work....very very interesting
Old 02-02-2010 | 04:39 PM
davidv

Welcome. 50,000 miles is certainly better than 100,000. Miles up - prices down. Its that simple.

Lots of valuable information here about the 350Z. Read. Learn. Be an informed buyer.
Old 02-02-2010 | 04:50 PM
IamJKAN

well wouldnt 50k be bad? my dad doesnt like that many miles. is there a good explanation to him to convince him?

and yea. I also have a Honda Pilot.

thanks again guys
Old 02-02-2010 | 04:58 PM
Zing!

Depends on service history.
Depends on how the previous owner treated it
Some people will swear not to buy a used sports car for the fact its a sports car its ment to be driven harder than say a Honda Pilot
But can you justify spending 10,000 more on a brand new car than say one that has 20,000 miles on it. Its all about your opinions.
If properly maintained a 50,000 mile car will last a looooonnng time(very broad answer i know haha)

So i take it this is your second car? even i wouldnt suggest a Z as a second car as it has alot of power,high hp,RWD... my first car was a 94 toyota pickup 4cyc 5 speed a whooping 95hp which i learned to drive...second car was a maxima with 190hp. I suggest taking steps rather than leaps as the Z WILL get away from you with just a blip of the throttle
Old 02-02-2010 | 05:05 PM
DB350

Originally Posted by Zing!
I suggest taking steps rather than leaps as the Z WILL get away from you with just a blip of the throttle
...no . my z is always nice to me in the rain...
Old 02-02-2010 | 05:33 PM
IamJKAN

this is my 3rd.
i had a 2007 civic (weak), and handed it of to my sister, and now a honda pilot.
ive also driven a 2008 honda civic si. if thats a step
Old 02-02-2010 | 05:36 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by IamJKAN
well wouldnt 50k be bad? my dad doesnt like that many miles. is there a good explanation to him to convince him?

and yea. I also have a Honda Pilot.

thanks again guys
Not really. 50,000 miles is just an example. BTW how does dad fit in here?
Old 02-02-2010 | 05:40 PM
Zing!

^^^^ did you get some kind of inheritance or are you taking out a loan for the car?
Old 02-02-2010 | 05:42 PM
IamJKAN

my parents gave me money to buy a car since I got into college. and dad was cuz when im buying the car hes gonna be there approving or not. like he'll be approving no matter wat but id rather have him convinced rather then me forcing the idea of a used car on him
Old 02-02-2010 | 05:50 PM
Zing!

well if your set on a 350z there no way to buy one new...theres a point for you

350z is a high powered sports car that unlike honda and vtec power is instant....theres a point for him

its your 3rd car and you have some(which i use loosely) driving experience...your point

insurance is likely going to double from the pilot...point for him

theres 1,001 different ways to go with this
Old 02-02-2010 | 06:19 PM
davidv

my parents gave me money to buy a car since I got into college. and dad was cuz when im buying the car hes gonna be there approving or not. like he'll be approving no matter wat but id rather have him convinced rather then me forcing the idea of a used car on him
Next to impossible to convince anyone of anything. People have preconceived notions. Facts will not alter those notions.

Which college?
Old 02-02-2010 | 06:47 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic
Premier Member

wow dude, you have some badass parents. wuts your budget if you dont mind me asking? you should take a look at the differences in the models to better help your decision. glad to see your not taking credit for buying something on your own like most 17yr olds in the forums.

Old 02-03-2010 | 06:19 AM
IamJKAN

haha yea my parents got more chill when i got into college (UMBC with scholorship) to answer your question. Credit = interest = more money to pay
Old 02-03-2010 | 06:29 AM
davidv

haha yea my parents got more chill when i got into college (UMBC with scholorship) to answer your question. Credit = interest = more money to pay
UMBC. Good school. Congratulations "after" you graduate.
Old 02-03-2010 | 06:32 AM
BonesZ33

my insurance actually went down since the 350z has so many safety features compared to an older car. Insurance rates usually depend on the actual driver and his age and record more so than the actual type of car.

High mileage 350z's don't really have many problems but since you have 20k to spend you can get a very low milage one.

Transmissions are the only major problem I can think of when buying a 350z, just make sure the transmission shifts smoothly with no grinds.

Quick Reply: LOOKING TO BUY A 350z ANY POINTERS?