Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Need help price negotiating

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:05 PM
Flyingscot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help price negotiating

Listen guys, I have a girlfriend who is interested in buying a 350Z Touring with the following specs.

Touring
Daytona Blue
Aero Package
Mudflaps
Manual tranny

Some of the local dealerships around here are saying "no negotiation" about the '04s. I just can't believe they are still going for MSRP. I live in NC.

My question is this: How much below MSRP should she be paying?
I bought mine a year ago when it was "no negotiation time" so I have no point of reference.

Also, to any nearish dealerships out there:
Do you have this car ready to roll for this weekend?
PM me and make us an offer.

It's her birthday this weekend and she wants one.

Fly

Last edited by Flyingscot; 11-19-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Tweety-nator

I ordered my 2004 in September, will get my car in December (only a few weeks away yipee!!!)

Anyway to answer your question, you should be able to do at least $1500 off MSRP. I got my Enthusiast for $1000 off MSRP, and the difference between invoice price and MSRP is $2100 (from edmunds.com), so I thought I struck a fair deal by asking for something in-between.

The Touring model however has more gizmos, and hence more mark-up. Difference between invoice and MSRP is $2700. Asking $1500 off MSRP for a Touring model seems fair to me.

If the dealer refuses to go below MSRP, go to another one. By the way, I live in WA state.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:19 PM
jEzTeR

All the dealerships in a 100 mile area here in KY say they are selling at MSRP and no discounts.

I have found some great deals on used 03's frome private sellers though.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 PM
lowtempo

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I agree

I also found it helpful to negotiate "out the door" prices, so no fees and markups catch you off guard.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:22 PM
zunzet

Be careful about looking only at price. You want a place you can go back to that will work with you in the event you need service.

Remember, dealers that sold you the car are more likely to work with you, then non purchase dealer. They feel jilted for not buying the car from them and won''t treat you as well.

Loyalty is important. I purchased my car and have it serviced at the same dealer. I also have them do all scheduled maintenance. I got to know the service manager personally, and I know if I need something done, all I have to do is ask, no questions or complaints from the dealership.

What goes around comes around. Don't be short sighted. Sometimes paying a little more has it's advantages.

You youngsters don't remember this very important lesson.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:40 PM
RK350Z

I managed $2,100 off on a 2003 Touring MT6 (Sticker was 34,600) I bought it in May and spent all of 10 minutes negotiating. Unless 2004's are in temporary short supply, I can't imagine why you couldn't get the same kind of deal - I started off by advising them that Sutherlin Nissan in Atlanta has been occasionally EBaying new Z's and that similar Touring models were going for ~$32k. And yes, I would have flown there and driven one home (Chicago burbs) if the local dealers had tried to stick to retail. With the Nissan on-line inventory info its pretty easy to find the exact car you want.

Loyalty is nice, but keep in mind dealers make the majority of thier profit on service - not sales - this bit of wisdom comes from audits of dealerships that I have done in the past thru work. So any dealer (read salesman) that tells you they won't want your service biz if you don't buy from them is simply using yet another sales technique designed keep you from walking out without buying.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:25 AM
aprez99

LOL
I enjoyed negotiating the price of my car so much, I get to do it twice... (Long story, my original salesman got canned.. paperwork "missing") I really believe the best way to do it is by email. Email a couple dealers, asking them to quote you an out the door price. You can save quite a bit of time wasted in early negotiaions this way.

But trust me, dealers will take every nickel they can squeeze out of you. Definitely negotiate an out the door price. I got 1500 off of my enthusiast if I ordered it. I would think closer to 2 grand for a touring model. Mine should be here in a week, last I heard. Also I just got a great idea from someone else on the board. Negotiate your price as if you are financing. Tell them you going to finance through them. This automatically builds in extra profit for them. BUT, make sure there are no additional costs of the loan and no penalty for paying off early. MAKE SURE OF THESE THINGS.

Then shop around for the best rate that you can get from a bank. If your girlfriend's parents will take an equity line of credit on their home, that is the best rate you will find on a Z I believe. If your rate from the bank is that much better than theirs, pay off your dealer's loan the next day. This is exactly what I am about to do next week. I can't wait to see the look on that sales manager's face that thinks he's got me by the *****......
Old 11-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Flyingscot

Thanks for all the stories you shared. It paid off. While the dealers in Raleigh said "no price break", we went and found a NC dealership out in the country with one on the lot. They accepted our offer of $2,000 off MSRP.

You guys are the best. Amanda is picking up the car today in time for her birthday.

Fly
Old 11-20-2003, 10:50 AM
ravaz

Which dealer did you go to? Did you try Central Carolina?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:19 PM
EL Diablo

I bought the Z Twice! 1st I bought an 04 auto Touring for 32,500
that was around 1500 below MSRP. Traded it in after one week for a 04 TRACK for MSRP. dealers would not budge off MSRP.
The car is hot and dealers are aggressive to sell at MSRP. if you can get the car for 1000- 1500 off MSRP you did good. Even if your one of the many who paid MSRP you'll have no regrets. The car is awsome. Your girl's getting a sick car!