Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

New to the forums, soon to be 350z owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM
hiemstra88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forums, soon to be 350z owner

Hello everyone I am new to the forums and I am in search for an 03-06 350z for $15,000 or less. I have wanted a 350z for a long time and I feel like I've done enough research to finally pull the trigger and get one. I live up in MN and I haven't had much luck, I though I'd find a pretty good deal right before winter. Anyway I am now searching surrounding states and I came across a few deals i was wondering what your opinions were.

I wanted to stay away from ones with mods already, i wanted a stock one which is easier to assume that it was not beat on, but either way its sometimes hard to tell.

here is one with mods and the second with no mods.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

I obviously like the black one, and seems to be the better deal considering the mods. But what does everyone think?

Also found a track model.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

out of the three, what would you prefer. Side note is the rims on the track model OEM?

Also just wanted to thank the members and staff of this site as it has helped me gain A LOT more knowledge on the Z.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First one - not really a fan of buying other people's modded cars unless it's perfect.

Second one - I bet you can eat dinner off that thing it's so clean. However, it's a base model so that may be of importance to you.

Third one - By far my favorite of the three but it does have 80,000 miles. However, the track is best bang for your buck so it might be worth it. Oh yeah, those are oem wheels.

I would choose between 2 and 3. Go check them out.

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 10-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
hiemstra88

Thank you for your opinion.

I agree on the first one as well. Under my budget I would like to just do window tint, wheels and audio so i would prefer it stock. And I am aware of the tranny and other problems so I don't want to blow all my car budget and then have something blow out.

I like the gray one as well considering how clean it is.

The track is my favorite too. But before i know it ill be at 100k miles. I'm definitely looking for something at about 60k miles
Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM
CTZ860

Good luck with your search...I remember how exciting it was just looking. You are going to find a lot of these cars were modded or they were modded and put back to stock. I know what you mean about a car being modded but if it was just simple CAI and exhaust I wouldn't worry. Chances are whoever had it liked to drive it fast whether it was stock or not. Now a heavily modded car I.e. turbo is a different story.
I would just search for something with the lowest miles possible and search for the best.
Also, I wouldn't recommend the base model. I have the base model and to me its just as well as the others except for the rear end. I hate my open diff......try to get something with at least the VLSD...
Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

350Z and Minnesota winter. This just does not seem like a good combination to me.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

3rd one simply cause its hovering in front of a Honda dealership.
but seriously. either the 2nd or 3rd.
2nd one says black interior but the interior pic looks light gray on my screen.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:22 PM
hiemstra88

Originally Posted by davidv

350Z and Minnesota winter. This just does not seem like a good combination to me.
haha i am not planing to drive it in the winter. I have a a sedan that is my DD. I would only drive it if my sedan was out of commission.

Which brings me to say I am in no hurry to pick one up because of winter coming, although I am very excited which makes me want to buy one now now now!!

I know this has been covered... but what are the main differences between the base, enthusiast, and track (I know roadster is just convert.) I've read threads on this and what not but i havn't found a clean cut answer. And what would be the best for a guy like me from 03 to 05 that just wants to grip it and rip it and basically only major mod would be rims.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM
hiemstra88

What ones have a LSD?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
pbn85

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say 3rd one. 80k is low for the year, and for the engine its still a baby. That car has lots of life left if you take care of it. If you get it, swap out all the fluids, change the plugs, and you're good to go.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:26 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by hiemstra88
haha i am not planing to drive it in the winter. I have a a sedan that is my DD. I would only drive it if my sedan was out of commission.

Which brings me to say I am in no hurry to pick one up because of winter coming, although I am very excited which makes me want to buy one now now now!!

I know this has been covered... but what are the main differences between the base, enthusiast, and track (I know roadster is just convert.) I've read threads on this and what not but i havn't found a clean cut answer. And what would be the best for a guy like me from 03 to 05 that just wants to grip it and rip it and basically only major mod would be rims.
Smart to have another vehicle for snow.

BTW it is wise to buy a 350Z when there is snow on the ground. Come spring both demand and price will increase.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:46 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ones have a LSD?
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html
Q: Whats the difference between models? Which one is right for me?

A:This question really depends on what you want to do with the car. If your building a track monster from the get-go, a Base or Enthusiast is probably the way to go. If your looking for a nice touring car that you don't have to do much too, the Touring or the 35th Anniversary Edition in 2005 might be best. Please note this guide only covers coupe options, not roadster.

Abbreviations

TCS - Traction Control System
VDC - Vehicle Dynamics Controller
VTC - Variable Timing Control
MT - Manual Transmission
AT - Automatic Transmission
VLSD - Viscous Limited-Slip Differential

Model Breakdown (2003-2004.5):

Base: 3.5L V6 with 287hp/274 ft-lbs of tq., 17" rims. Only available in 6-speed MT. No VLSD, cruise control.

Enthusiast: Added Cruise Control, HID headlights, Aluminum pedals, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, VLSD, and TCS. Available in either 6-speed MT or 5-speed AT.

Performance: Adds VDC , 18" rims (18"x8" all around). Only available with 6-speed MT.

Touring: Adds Leather seats w/ power adjust-ability, Bose sound system, and optional DVD Navigation. Available in either 6-speed MT or 5-speed AT.

Track: Adds 18" Rays Track Rims (18"x8" front, 18"x8.5" rear, approx. 18.3 lbs per rim), Brembo Big Brake Kit, underbody aero kit w/ rear hatch spoiler. Only available in 6-speed MT.

*Please note all automatic models Enthusiast up only had TCS, no VDC.

There were no major changes until the 2004.5 model, in which the suspension was changed slightly to help alleviate the "tire feathering" problem. I'm not sure the exact change, but there were some small changes in the suspension that seemed to help lessen the cases, though there were some still sporadically appearing.

The next major changes wouldn't come until 2005. Nissan introduced the "Rev-Up" 300hp/260tq variant of the VQ35. It was featured in the 2005 Track and 35th Anniversary models (6-speed MT only). Major changes included VTC on the exhaust cams, improved internals, higher redline, and modified lower plenum. Also, all models received a new, redesigned front suspension which appears to have helped to combat the problems with tire feathering.

The 35th Anniversary model that appeared in 2005 was a mesh of the Touring and Track model. It featured the same Brembo Brakes and 300hp motor of the Track model, but all the comfort amenities of the Touring such as leather, Bose sound system, and optional Navigation. It was available in 6-speed MT or 5-speed AT, though the AT received the 287hp/274tq engine and did not feature VDC, just TCS. The 35th Anniversary also feature unique 18" 5-spoke rims.

The Z received a small redesign on 2006 to both the car itself and to the model lineup. The car received a slight facelift with a subtly redesigned front bumper, new Bi-Xenon headlights, and LED tailights. Also, all 6-speed models except for the Track and Grand Touring were equipped with the 18" rims from the 2005 35th Anniversary (Enthusiast AT's get the 17" rims, Touring get the 2003-2005 18" Touring rims). Under the hood, all MT models recieved the 300hp/260tq Rev-Up motors. All AT models recieved the 287hp/274tq motors.

Inside, there were some spots of added aluminum trim, as well as new steering-wheel mounted audo controls in all Enthusiast-up models.

Model Breakdown (2006):

Base:Bi-xenon HID's, five-spoke 18" rims, 6-speed MT only. No VSLD or cruise control.

Enthusiast: Adds TCS, VLSD, Cruise Control, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, aluminum pedals, Illuminated audio controls on steering wheel. Availble with MT or AT.

Performance: No longer exists in current lineup.

Touring: Adds VDC (manual only), Bose Audio w/ MP3 playback
capability, leather seats w/ power and heat. Available with MT or AT.

Track: Adds Brembo Braking system, underbody aero package, rear
hatch spoiler, lightweight Rays rims (18"x8.5" Front, 19x9.5" rear). MT only.

Grand Touring: Adds Brembo brakes and Rays Rims from Track model, underbody aero package, Bose sound system, and leather seats. Available with MT or AT.

*Please note all automatic models Enthusiast up only had TCS, no VDC.

In 2007, Nissan took the 350z another step forward and released the new HR model motor. Featuring a new twin-intake, variable valve-timing on the exhaust cams, a 7500RPM redline, the engine was claimed to be 80% new. 2007 also saw the demise of the Track model and replaced with the Nismo edition car, limited to a production run of 1500 cars. The Nismo edition featured a specially-engineered chassis welded to stiffen the chassis, a Nismo edition body kit (dubbed the V3, for version 3, since it was the third iteration of the Nismo body kit for the 350z), and limited edition Nismo exhaust tips (not the full exhaust). The suspension is also stiffer and more suited for a track, though it is still quite streetable.

Model Breakdown (2007-2008):

*All models received the new 306hp VQHR motor.*

Base:Bi-xenon HID's, 18" five-spoke rims, 6-speed MT only. No VSLD or cruise control.

Enthusiast: Adds TCS, VLSD, Cruise Control, Auto-dimming rearview mirror, aluminum pedals, Illuminated audio controls on steering wheel. Availble with MT or AT.

Touring: Adds VDC (manual only), Bose Audio w/ MP3 playback
capability, leather seats w/ power and heat. Available with MT or AT.
Grand Touring: Adds Brembo brakes and Rays Rims from Track model, underbody aero package, Bose sound system, and leather seats. Available with MT or AT.

Nismo: Adds Brembo Braking system, factory-Nismo aero package, OEM Nismo suspension setup, lightweight Rays rims (18"x8.5" Front, 19x9.5" rear). MT only.

Hopefully this brief overview will help you to decide which model is right for you. When your ready to purchase your Z, head over to www.edmunds.com, locate the Invoice price in your area for the model you've chosen, and bargain away! NEVER pay MSRP for a Z! You should be paying at or just above Invoice.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
davidv

I have wanted a 350z for a long time and I feel like I've done enough research to finally pull the trigger and get one.
Yes yes pull the trigger.