Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying My First Z!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
dcdavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Buying My First Z!

Hey guys, I am trying to purchase a 350. I live in Jacksonville FL and the market is flooded with 2003-2005 models with 100K+ miles on them. The problem is they are all really overpriced (in my opinion... I could be wrong), I haven't seen many cars under 9000$ that are even worth looking at. I've found a few decent deals but nothing has really clicked. Even some of the earlier base/enthusiast models are going for up to 18000$ even with 100K miles on them.

So that leads me to a couple of questions.

I have found a couple with rebuilt titles for around what I want to pay for one, (around 7000-11000) Is it worth buying a nicely rebuilt car with a rebuilt title? Can you even get insurance on these cars? And if so does it carry a crazy price tag?

some examples that I have found are

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4344225553.html

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/4334376519.html

even at those prices I think they are still really pushing it being rebuilt and all.

Also if I were to buy one of these 12000-15000$ base enthusiast or even performance models what is my best option for talking the dealer down to something I would be more willing to pay? I know about the earlier suspension/tire and transmission problems as well at some of the minor things like the window motors going bad quickly but is there anything else I can bring up to maybe get them to come down a bit? I know the kbb value doesn't really mean anything to the dealers but listing a 6-7k car for 12-13k just doesn't even seem reasonable. Most of these cars are listed for double the estimated value of the car.

Finally does anyone know someone in the Jacksonville area (within a couple hundred miles of the city.) who is looking to sell one? I would prefer something thats never had any kind of forced induction but other than that I am pretty open. I want something to tinker around with anyway so whatever I get I'm going to change around to my liking. If anyone has a one owner that is close to stock I would be willing to pay a bit more as well.

I'm pretty new to the car buying business and I have wanted a 350 before I could even drive so now that I have the funds to purchase one I would really like to jump on it.

Tl;Dr : I am a noob at buying cars and would love some help in acquiring a nice 350Z.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:45 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

k... i would never buy a car with a rebuilt title personally, or one off of craigslist. for them having that kind of title i think they are way over priced. just for comparison i bought my 08 HR almost 3 years ago for 21k, you should be able to find one now for around 17-18k. if you are not in a desperate need for a car, take your time and find something better than those two... dont rush into anything. look at the 4th one down on this list, and the red one two more down is the hr for your high cost you listed

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...erivedpriceASC

Last edited by travlee; 02-26-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:51 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Not advice on car, just buying:
The first car I bought from a used dealer, I paid full price after negotiating out of sales tax.
My 2nd car was new from dealer who claimed their "insurance" would not allow them to sell me the car w/o extended warranty. They caught me at the door walking out, we dealed.
Now I take my wife and we play "good cop/bad cop" and it drives sales guys nuts. She had her smartphone out with the ad from the last Z I drove. Saved about $3500.

Take your dad or uncle to see how to handle a salesperson, and know to the penny what the car is worth to you,drive it,make your offer, and you MUST walk out to get your price.They will call you the same/next day with a better price.
Good luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

yeah my stealership didnt want to work with me so i got up and walked out... i didnt need the car, i just wanted it. they called me a couple hours later and decided to work with me
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Diode Dynamics
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum

My suggestion is to do your homework, see what they are going for in your area, find a number you are comfortable at and walk out if they won't sell it within your comfort zone. There are plenty of Z's out there, no reason to rush, especially if you don't "have to have it" for a DD

Nick C.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
Welcome to the forum

My suggestion is to do your homework, see what they are going for in your area, find a number you are comfortable at and walk out if they won't sell it within your comfort zone. There are plenty of Z's out there, no reason to rush, especially if you don't "have to have it" for a DD

Nick C.
+1

Take your time and do your research.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM
dcdavis

Thanks for all the quick replays. Yeah I work running logistics and management for my uncles bus sales and transportation co. He has been a salesman forever now and he pretty much said the same. My only problem is that I haven't had a car for around 4 months now and I am getting pretty tired of not having one so I don't really have the time (or the patience to be completely honest) to wait around for something perfect. I have been thinking about putting what I have down now on a newer 07 or 08 and just financing the rest through a bank or hopefully a family member and paying that off as soon as possible if that means that I will get the best car in the long run. But you guys would suggest to stick with an 07-08 hr for sure?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:28 AM
Whiteazn2

Don't pay for those overpriced cars. You can a hr with those prices
Old 02-26-2014, 11:35 AM
verdict.
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 648 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdavis
Thanks for all the quick replays. Yeah I work running logistics and management for my uncles bus sales and transportation co. He has been a salesman forever now and he pretty much said the same. My only problem is that I haven't had a car for around 4 months now and I am getting pretty tired of not having one so I don't really have the time (or the patience to be completely honest) to wait around for something perfect. I have been thinking about putting what I have down now on a newer 07 or 08 and just financing the rest through a bank or hopefully a family member and paying that off as soon as possible if that means that I will get the best car in the long run. But you guys would suggest to stick with an 07-08 hr for sure?
I would pass on anything with a rebuilt title. You can find a Z with a clean title for that price. It all depends on your financial situation and if you want to spend a few grand more for the HR.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM
GOGOZ

OP, I work for a Dealership group (no, I'm not a salesperson) so I'll give you a little "insider's tip." Stealerships (yeah, I said it) will put up a front that they have gone "all in" and cannot budge on the price of a used car because, according to them (us), they have it marked down to the lowest price in the current demographic market, Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Go on the very last day of the month. EVERY SINGLE SALESPERSON is looking to make their quota, sales management included. So they will DEEPLY discount ANY car they have on their lot and practically give it away. I did that myself on my ZR that was traded in and saved $2,000 off of what we paid for it!!!! I stole from my own Dealership! Also, print out and bring along printouts of some other Z's that you are "considering." It's like throwing the salesperson's "scare tactics" back in their face. If they're not willing to negotiate, then whip out the printout and state that you're gonna go with this Z over at that Dealership....... watch them run the hurry-up offense to guarantee that you don't leave until you are happy in your new (used) 350Z from them!!!!!

Good Luck

Last edited by GOGOZ; 02-26-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there are tons of Z's for sale in your area,wait to get the right one.
I would not buy any car with a rebuilt title.What I'd look for is a Z as
close to stock as possible.No mods.Could be an old guy has one that he drove
on weekends.Maybe a guy around Ponte Vedre..lol.
I'm sure you have a color preference.Gotta to be a good selection in Orlando,
Tampa/St.Pete.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 PM
dcdavis

Originally Posted by GOGOZ
OP, I work for a Dealership group (no, I'm not a salesperson) so I'll give you a little "insider's tip." Stealerships (yeah, I said it) will put up a front that they have gone "all in" and cannot budge on the price of a used car because, according to them (us), they have it marked down to the lowest price in the current demographic market, Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Go on the very last day of the month. EVERY SINGLE SALESPERSON is looking to make their quota, sales management included. So they will DEEPLY discount ANY car they have on their lot and practically give it away. I did that myself on my ZR that was traded in and saved $2,000 off of what we paid for it!!!! I stole from my own Dealership! Also, print out and bring along printouts of some other Z's that you are "considering." It's like throwing the salesperson's "scare tactics" back in their face. If they're not willing to negotiate, then whip out the printout and state that you're gonna go with this Z over at that Dealership....... watch them run the hurry-up offense to guarantee that you don't leave until you are happy in your new (used) 350Z from them!!!!!

Good Luck
That sounds like really solid advice. I never thought of some of those points. Now that I think about it I should have noticed that more quickly. Yesterday I contacted a dealer about a 07 enthusiast model for 10k (it was sold unfortunately) But by the end of the phone conversation the saleswoman that I was talking to was trying to sell me a new 370z gismo with 400 miles on it for 40K... And she was serious.

The bad thing about my situation is I work directly across from a nissan dealership and have to stare at the new 370's and a black 2014 gtr in the showroom all day long. You don't know how tempting it is to go try to lease one for a couple years...
Old 02-26-2014, 01:42 PM
GOGOZ

Originally Posted by dcdavis
That sounds like really solid advice. I never thought of some of those points. Now that I think about it I should have noticed that more quickly. Yesterday I contacted a dealer about a 07 enthusiast model for 10k (it was sold unfortunately) But by the end of the phone conversation the saleswoman that I was talking to was trying to sell me a new 370z gismo with 400 miles on it for 40K... And she was serious.

The bad thing about my situation is I work directly across from a nissan dealership and have to stare at the new 370's and a black 2014 gtr in the showroom all day long. You don't know how tempting it is to go try to lease one for a couple years...
Tell me about it, there is a Track model GTR at one of our Nissan showrooms, and every time I walk in I just drool over it

The end of the month is just 2 days away, so be sure to research and search some more on what you're trying to accomplish in your new Z! Utilize this forum as much as possible. Weigh the pro's and con's for each model of each year Z. Stay away from rebuilt/salvage titles= headaches in the long run. Remember, you are making an investment so think long run and what will be best for the future when it is time to trade up for that GTR
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Might be worth a drive down to the Tampa area to have a look at this one:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/4350782675.html

Seems realistically priced, and I like that it's all stock.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM
GOGOZ

Originally Posted by dcains
Might be worth a drive down to the Tampa area to have a look at this one:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/4350782675.html

Seems realistically priced, and I like that it's all stock.
Not enthusiast model (no cruise), and what's up with el cheapo leather seat covers??? Great price, but looks as though it's seen better days
Old 02-26-2014, 02:06 PM
dcains

Yeah, definitely a base, but it still might be worth a look, if the CarFax is clean. OP did mention he's looking for a car to tinker with. That price leaves some nice cash leftover for repairs/mods. FWIW, I don't know the car or seller, just trying to help a fellow Floridian.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:06 PM
dcdavis

Originally Posted by GOGOZ
Tell me about it, there is a Track model GTR at one of our Nissan showrooms, and every time I walk in I just drool over it

The end of the month is just 2 days away, so be sure to research and search some more on what you're trying to accomplish in your new Z! Utilize this forum as much as possible. Weigh the pro's and con's for each model of each year Z. Stay away from rebuilt/salvage titles= headaches in the long run. Remember, you are making an investment so think long run and what will be best for the future when it is time to trade up for that GTR
Yeah I think I am going to go to the dealerships around town tomorrow and friday and look at the 07s and 08s they have listed for around 15-16k range. I thought about it for a bit and I think that is what I am going to get the most out of. Maybe I can get one down to around 12 to 13k if I'm lucky. If I can squeeze 2k out of one I'll get a car that will last a solid 8 to 10 years and I am more than willing to spend money up front to get that.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM
dcains

I'd highly recommend an HR, if you have the $, but think it's very unlikely any dealer is going to let one go for $13K. Good luck, though.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
dcdavis

Originally Posted by dcains
I'd highly recommend an HR, if you have the $, but think it's very unlikely any dealer is going to let one go for $13K. Good luck, though.
Yeah I think I want an HR I found a private seller that listed one for 10k. It has 100k miles and has a clean vehicle history report. If it had fewer miles I would buy it today. But I think I might be able to do a little better?