Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Looking to enter the Z world

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:10 AM
True_Italiano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to enter the Z world

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a used 350z and have come across one in particular that looks promising. The Cl link is here:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5290240822.html

I'm a little concerned about someof the mods, specifically enkie wheels
drilled/slotted rotors, and the borla headers.

Can anyone give me some feedback on what to watch out for and what service I can expect to immediately put into the car before i really own it.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

It's automatic & the mods would keep me away from buying this.

You can find a clean, stock Z, in that same price-range. Just keep looking. Also, another thing to consider is whether or not you want an 03-05/06/or 07-08. I would personally opt for '07+, the prices keep dropping so you can snag one up for pretty cheap.

I would do fluids & plugs upon purchasing
Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 AM
True_Italiano

I have a feeling because of the mods and the fact he hasn't sold it yet, I can get this one pretty cheap. Maybe even sub 8K. but I'm worried the headers weren't done perfect that it could cause some problems. Also reading through the forums, if someone replaced the wheels that's often a sign that something else was going wrong.

But I didn't know if anyone had any opinions on these mods specifically.

thanks for the advice
Old 11-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Depravity

The headers are pretty difficult to install on these cars, but maybe you can have a mechanic look it over to make sure everything looks good. I wouldn't be too concerned with the wheels, the stock one's aren't the greatest looking wheels in the world so a lot of us owners switch them out.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Depravity

Also, the lack of effort in his FS post is a pretty good indicator of what type of person he might be. That & the modifications, makes me suspect it's been beat on quite a bit
The following users liked this post:
True_Italiano (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:47 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

btw, that is not a nismo front lip, its a pos ebay one, and cheap chinese taillights
The following users liked this post:
True_Italiano (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:52 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by True_Italiano
I have a feeling because of the mods and the fact he hasn't sold it yet, I can get this one pretty cheap. Maybe even sub 8K. but I'm worried the headers weren't done perfect that it could cause some problems. Also reading through the forums, if someone replaced the wheels that's often a sign that something else was going wrong.

But I didn't know if anyone had any opinions on these mods specifically.

thanks for the advice
I wouldn't be too put off by the "mods" the owner's done. All bolt on stuff and stuff that may have been upgraded when time to service, e.g., tires and wheels (EVERYONE wants - but doesn't always get - new wheels at one point or another just due to boredom. Haha.). Mild stuff.

However, I would check to make sure the car still has cats. It's possible that when installing the headers, cats were omitted and in lieu of, straight "test pipes" (biggest LIE in the history of automobiles - Laff..... "Test" indeed...) were substituted. This could cause problems with smog compliance down the road. Just make sure to check this if you're dead set on this car.

Here in CA, the onus of providing initial smog certification upon vehicle transfer is on the seller. Do NOT know what GA says about this. All I know is when a seller says "buyer smogs" (not the case here, just saying...), there's a known issue and one should steer clear.

But the price.... seems a little high. Nice looking car though.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 AM
True_Italiano

Originally Posted by travlee
btw, that is not a nismo front lip, its a pos ebay one, and cheap chinese taillights
that front lip is fugly. I'd take it right off. the lights don't bother me, but they look a little cheap.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 AM
True_Italiano

Originally Posted by MicVelo
I wouldn't be too put off by the "mods" the owner's done. All bolt on stuff and stuff that may have been upgraded when time to service, e.g., tires and wheels (EVERYONE wants - but doesn't always get - new wheels at one point or another just due to boredom. Haha.). Mild stuff.

However, I would check to make sure the car still has cats. It's possible that when installing the headers, cats were omitted and in lieu of, straight "test pipes" (biggest LIE in the history of automobiles - Laff..... "Test" indeed...) were substituted. This could cause problems with smog compliance down the road. Just make sure to check this if you're dead set on this car.

Here in CA, the onus of providing initial smog certification upon vehicle transfer is on the seller. Do NOT know what GA says about this. All I know is when a seller says "buyer smogs" (not the case here, just saying...), there's a known issue and one should steer clear.

I'd have him get the emissions prior to selling, the onus would definitely be on me othetrwise. But if get it below 8000, I'm thinking its a great price. agreed?
Old 11-06-2015, 10:43 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Who would drop a g on some headers and then have the stock cats and exhaust haha... I dont know if $8k would be a great price... Maybe a fair price... $6500 would be great.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:54 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo

Idk what youre talking about mic. Im clearly testing how long i can have these pipes on before getting busted...

And i swap my wheels out alot.... but that doesnt really mean much since most of my tires are still 90% treads. Haha wheels and tires can make or break a car. Some people, like myself, switch them out every few weeks to get a new fresh look to where we wont get bored
Old 11-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Noor93y

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stay away from that car. I dont wanna be that guy but first off its an auto and even by automatic standards its not a good transmission. If i were you i would look for a 07-08. Keep in mind that the Base models across all years do not have the same differential as the other models. This greatly affect how the car handles when driven hard.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:43 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Idk what youre talking about mic. Im clearly testing how long i can have these pipes on before getting busted...

Lies, all lies!! Exactly my point, T'bo. "Eternal testing" until the man gets wind of whutchu done did to you cah and puts a foot down. Laff.....

And i swap my wheels out alot.... but that doesnt really mean much since most of my tires are still 90% treads. Haha wheels and tires can make or break a car. Some people, like myself, switch them out every few weeks to get a new fresh look to where we wont get bored

First world boredom.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 AM
True_Italiano

Originally Posted by Noor93y
I would stay away from that car. I dont wanna be that guy but first off its an auto and even by automatic standards its not a good transmission. If i were you i would look for a 07-08. Keep in mind that the Base models across all years do not have the same differential as the other models. This greatly affect how the car handles when driven hard.
this one was the enthusiast package. And I don't really know how to drive a stick. Don't hate though. I'm only 22 and no one in the family had a manual I could learn on. I would absolutely abuse the manu-matic mode.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:55 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Considering your user name, why aren't you looking for a car like this:

I might have a few extra ones around
Old 11-06-2015, 12:00 PM
True_Italiano

Originally Posted by dcains

gorgeous car, and i love the alfa, but I want something a little newer and easier to maintain
Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

The Alfa Spider's, any year (that one is my '92), have only the finest in 1970's modern technology. It's like working on a lawn tractor, and in 40 years of driving Alfa's I've been stranded. The owner should be a competent mechanic, though, as you're not going to find any professional help on such a car anymore.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:40 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains

Nice Arachnid.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:42 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts