Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:25 PM
kimara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirls

I just purchased a 2005 black roadster and I really want to find a good wax and a method not to get any swirls. I am open to any suggestions.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:16 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The wax or polish you use has less to do with your car getting swirls as how you wash and take care of it does. Waxes and polishes won't protect the surface of the paint to prevent them. You have to prevent them!

1) Learn from the pros on how to care for your car at http://autopia.org Go there and download the Autopia Guide to Detailing.

2) Check out this site, Flynnibus has posted some pretty good instructions on how to wash and care for your Z:

http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/howtos/washhowto.htm

3) Here's part of a post I made a while back on the subject of swirls.... sorry I haven't had time to make a real site with a complete list...

If you use a sponge or something that holds dirt, then you're scraping the dirt across the surface of your car. Use a lambs wool or cotton chenile mitt. Never use something like a kitchen dish towel or an old T-shirt. Too many things in them that can scratch your paint (i.e. nylon threads).

If you use a 1 gal bucket of water to wash the whole car, then by the time you're finished the water looks like chocolate milk from all the dirt. Again, you're rubbing it all over your paint. Use a 5 gal paint bucket - actually two of them. Once with soapy water to wash with and the second with clear water to rinse the mitt with before soaping it again.

Use powered detergent? Don't, it doesn't totally dissolve and the solid particles will scratch your paint.

Wash your wheels with the same mitt/cloth as the car? Wash the wheels first? Don't - the brake dust will get into the cloth and your wash water and scratch the paint. Wash the wheels first then rinse everything out before washing the car. I use a soft cloth on the wheels that never touches the cars paint.

Don't wash the lower parts of the car first - they're usually dirtier having picked up road grime, tar, etc. Always wash from the top down.

Drying the car is the easy part to avoiding scratches. When done properly most of the water beads off anyway. What little is left can be absorbed just by laying a WW towel on it. No rubbing - no scratching.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:31 PM
SungNamZ

Some GOOD advice from DavesZ#3! Get some wash mitts, applicators and towels from: www.dftowel.com For drying I would recommend you only use "Big Blue / Waffle Weave" towels from: www.pakshak.com Polish/wax is your choice! You will find more recommendations than you thought possible if you do a search in "Detailing". I have used Zaino, but currently using Autoglym.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 PM
kimara

Thank you for your very informitive help DavesZ#3. I will make sure that I will do that from this point on.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:16 AM
baby_z

wow davesz#3 you should open your own detail shop we own a detail shop in nor cal and everything you say is correct i am very impressed
Old 01-21-2005, 04:09 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the compliment but no, I don't own a detailing shop. I'm just obsessive about my Z and how it looks.

I have to admit that a lot of what I learned came from professionals like yourself thanks to http://autopia.org