Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

THE SHOWDOWN: BLACKFIRE vs. ZAINO

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 08:10 AM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumb Question...

Anyone tried alternating layers of Zaino Z5 and Blackfire to see how it would look???
Old 11-29-2002, 08:24 AM
94 TA GT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't try it. Is BLACKFIRE a Carnuba wax? if so, you might want to try putting it on as a final layer after a couple coats of zaino. Then, before you apply anymore Zaino, wax the blackfire off. This seems like a good experiment...you try it...then let us know. I have 34 coats of Zaino...maybe if I got a free bottle of blackfire I'de try it, but right now it seems like to much hassle.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:45 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put on layer #18 today. My goal is 25 before I put it away for a long winter's nap!
Old 11-30-2002, 04:18 PM
94 TA GT

Make sure to post a pic once you get all 25.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Number 19 applied this morning. Snowing like hell outside though so the Z stays in the garage until all is clear.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:40 AM
94 TA GT

ehh...I don't want to burst your bubble, but if your applying it while it's freezing out, your not letting the Zaino cure. Your pretty much applying it and whipping it off with none of it staying on the car. If it is about 40-50 degrees it may work, you just would have to wait about 1.5-2 hours for it to cure. Sounds tome like you should get a garage heater. One more thing, all of these coats will (or should) come off next year, because you should dawn the car again and re-clay it every year, and yes this means next spring I will be down to Zero at one point again
Old 12-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

First of all, you don't need to wait that long if you use the ZFX. Second, I do have a semi-heated garage (about 60 degrees inside) so no problem there. Third of all, why would I have to remove it all in the spring? I have only had the car two months and it'll be garaged all winter. There is no hard and fast rule that says you HAVE to take it all down to the paint every year.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:30 AM
94 TA GT

While 60 degrees is fine, whether you use ZFX or not you need to let it cure. Direct qoute refering to ZFX "Squirt a dime size dab of polish on your applicator and rub it into your paint using circular hand motions. Then, go over the same area using a straight back and forth motion on top panels and an up and down motion on side panels. Allow the polish to haze over (20 minutes is sufficient). " I know that you may apply up to 3 coats righ after another, but you still need to allow it to haze. When the temp is down to 40-50, Zaino suggest you extend this period. I did not know you had a heated garage, had you not, this inofmation wuld have helped you. Also, new car or not, it is recomended that you clay the car. You can't clay numerouse coats of Zaino, you are supposed to clay the paint. Bonz...this is not a competition I'm just trying to help ya out.

Edit: also, even at 60 degrees, I would still recomend letting it cure for at least 30-45 minutes, it will look much better. It's not that much time out of your life anyways.

Last edited by 94 TA GT; 12-01-2002 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:54 AM
FlaPhil

I hate to break this "spirited" discussion, but going back to 94 TA GT's question about Blackfire being a carnuba, it isn't. You really can't get a "good" carnauba in a liquid form since in it's natural form, it's hard as a brick. Blackfire is a polymer that looks like a carnauba, but has the life of a polymer. You can put carnauba on top of the Blackfire, but not the other way around.

I'd like to see the 2 waxes side by side, Zaino and Blackfire, on the same color car. Don't know if you could spot a difference by applying one, then removing it and applying the other.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:28 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

94, this is what you posted:

One more thing, all of these coats will (or should) come off next year, because you should dawn the car again and re-clay it every year, and yes this means next spring I will be down to Zero at one point again
Then I simply said that I saw no reason to remove all of the coats I have applied since I have only had the car two months and it'll be garaged all winter. Even if what you say is correct (that you should dawn and clay every year), that YEAR won't come around for me until at least next November. THAT was my point. No competition intended.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:02 AM
DUKE

This is the question I emailed Zaino Bros:

Do you recommending stripping the Zaino off yearly or every 6 months and starting over or just ClayBarring as needed and adding more Zaino?

This is the answer I received:

"You never have to strip Zaino and start over again... In fact Dawn does not remove Zaino... :-)

Z-1or the new ZFX accelerator is to be applied twice a year on an everyday car and once a year on a show car. Also, please reapply Z-1 or ZFX after every ten coats of Zaino
polish(Z-2 Or Z-5 or both). Z-1or ZFX will never remove Zaino. It will tighten up and
strengthen the polish system and increase the gloss.

Also the NEW ZFX is an incredible product and could be used as often as you like... it's up to you.

Zaino will protect your paint finish from future airborne contaminants.... But airborne contaminants can attack Zaino polish. I usually Clay my everyday car every 12 to 24 months if it needs it. A light Claying will not remove Zaino polish, but will remove any airborne contaminants....

Hope this helps..... "

Happy Holidays,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800
http://www.zainobros
Old 12-03-2002, 06:42 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

Originally posted by DUKE

Do you recommending stripping the Zaino off yearly or every 6 months and starting over or just ClayBarring as needed and adding more Zaino?

"You never have to strip Zaino and start over again... In fact Dawn does not remove Zaino... :-)

Z-1or the new ZFX accelerator is to be applied twice a year on an everyday car and once a year on a show car. Also, please reapply Z-1 or ZFX after every ten coats of Zaino
polish(Z-2 Or Z-5 or both). Z-1or ZFX will never remove Zaino. It will tighten up and

Also the NEW ZFX is an incredible product and could be used as often as you like... it's up to you.

Zaino will protect your paint finish from future airborne contaminants.... But airborne contaminants can attack Zaino polish. I usually Clay my everyday car every 12 to 24 months if it needs it. A light Claying will not remove Zaino polish, but will remove any airborne contaminants....

Hope this helps..... "

Happy Holidays,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800
Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

Out of all the forums I read I think someone needs to approach Sal and ask if he knows his head from his ***. I'm no expert on car polishes or waxes like the people at Meguair's, Nufinish, Pinnacle, Zymol (Zanio ). But one thing I have noticed is that Zanio is confussing the sh*t out of me.

If this post by Duke is 100% true. That these answers are Sal's reply, then why did he say that clay will remove any wax or polish including (Zanio products) like he stated in the Corvette forum two months ago. Or how come Dawn will remove everthing else but Zanio. I find that one very hard to believe since Dawn will strip eveything on God's green earth. Dawn will remove Blackfire, Blackfire is a polymer. What makes Zanio so much better? Do you guys actually understand the chemical build up of products. Zanio is full of Sh*t!!! Of course you don't have to remove Zanio because maybe some of his waxes are actually polishes and the real truth is that instead of putting millions of coats of zanio wax on our cars that we are really putting way too many coats of polish. So realisty after doing two coats of polish all you are doing is removing one coat and layering another WTF!!! Why would he do make us do this?!! Why would you believe such a thing! I feel violated to the point that I've spent so much $$$ for Zanio and have not achieved better results than with Blackfire.

Does anyone here do research. Why doesn't Blackfire require "X" amount of polish followed by "X" number of applications of wax/protectant.

A polymer is a polymer for christ sake!
Old 12-03-2002, 06:54 AM
FlaPhil

Default WHAT?!?!?!?

I'm not a Zaino user, but everywhere I read about it, everybody says "strip Zaino with Dawn." As you may recall from earlier posts I'm not a Dawn user either. I just don't like using a "detergent" on my car.

But folks, this goes against EVERYTHING that I've ever heard about Zaino.

This is why I continue to praise Blackfire as does MY350isbtrthnurz and others on this forum. I get straight answers from ProperAutoCare.com. And BTW, they don't advocate the use of Dawn either.

Hey Bones... what's your take? Your the Z-Master here.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:48 AM
94 TA GT

Originally posted by DUKE

Hope this helps..... "

Happy Holidays,
Sal Zaino
(732)833-8800
This is the first time I have ever seen this. He totally contadicts himself on other posts.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:01 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

I just finished emailing Sal. I tried calling him already but he was not available. I will keep you all posted!
Old 12-04-2002, 03:54 PM
bhobson333

Default Zaino newbie

I know nothing about Blackfire, this is the first I've heard of it, but from what I've read here it sounds like it's a polymer sealant, so it's probably effectively very much like Zaino.

I recently purchased a complete Zaino kit and, while dreaming about my soon-to-arrive Z, I gave my 98 Accord (Dark Emerald Pearl) the Zaino treatment: Dawn, claybar, and a couple of coats of Z5.

My Accord must have been machine-buffed by some yahoo at the dealership because, although it had 6 miles on it when I picked it up, it has always had circular scratches all over the paint. The first coat of Z5 did amazing things to the finish, deepening the look of the paint and, if not eliminating them, greatly reducing the visibility of the swirl marks. The second coat of Z5 improved it more. I intend to continue with the Z5 and start mixing in Z2 occasionally.

My car looks better now than it EVER did, even new.

I think a couple of posters above have faulty memories. Nowhere have I seen anything that says Dawn can or should be used to strip off Zaino. It says to strip off the old wax with Dawn prior to putting on Zaino. Zaino also never recommends using Dawn more than once on a car; in fact it says that Dawn is not normally recommended as it's a little harsh, but just this once won't hurt, just to strip off the wax.

I think that if we all just stop to think about it for a while we'll realize that a daily driver with 20 coats of Zaino on it isn't going to have 20 actual thicknesses of a coat of Zaino. Like with all things, it wears down. What you are doing with Zaino (and it sounds like with Blackfire, too) is putting on a very thin layer of plastic sealant. It fills in pits and scratches and smooths out the surface, making it optically reflective. The more you put on, the smoother the surface will be, so you see improvement over time.

Last edited by bhobson333; 12-04-2002 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:39 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

It been two days and no responce from Sal!!! Last night I called CMA to see if they have tried Zanio. The person I spoke to had incredible knowledge of zanio as well as other products out on the market. Though CMA doesn't agree with Zanio's application procedures they say Zanio is actually harsher than Blackfire. That your doing more polishing than necessary. Especially on brand new cars! CMA has tried Zanio and find it unbelievably difficult to work with.

I myself (not a professional) but a car nut like most, have been using Zanio the past five/six years. Though I thought this product was the best thing since sliced bread, I do see where CMA is coming from. Since my first application of Blackfire over three month now brings new features to my vehicles. With enhanced surface gloss and durability after one appilication CMA does have the upper hand.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:01 AM
NissanJunkie

ZANIO, Duable long lasting, has a damn Z on the bottle, wow what a deal...
Old 12-06-2002, 09:14 AM
MY350isbtrthnurz

Originally posted by NissanJunkie
ZANIO, Duable long lasting, has a damn Z on the bottle, wow what a deal...
Just because it has a "Z" on the bottle doesn't mean it's a high quality product!
Old 12-06-2002, 09:46 AM
NissanJunkie

Originally posted by MY350isbtrthnurz
Just because it has a "Z" on the bottle doesn't mean it's a high quality product!
It was Ment to Amuse Jesus have a sense of humor...

Quick Reply: THE SHOWDOWN: BLACKFIRE vs. ZAINO