Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Swirls/Light Scratches are Pissing me Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:42 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirls/Light Scratches are Pissing me Off

I cannot get rid of them no matter what I do. Those swirls/light scratches have been there since I took ownership of my Roadster back in January.

Some FUKCER decided to use those brushes at the car wash! Bastards!

I have put on 4 coats of Z-5, (2 coats) a month ago and 2 today, and guess what, they are still there. Should I go to an auto detailer to get these damn swirls/light scratches out? I am willing to pay some one serious $ to get my car looking new again.

HELP, I am sick of looking at them. I am not letting the dealer touch my car, they are the ones that did the damage.

How many coats of Z-5 does it take? I know you can only do two coats in a 24 hour period.

BTW, my previous Z, a PPW, was not as bad, I guess you really notice on the brighter colors!

One last note, I use DF Towels!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:49 PM
SEzzz

ditto
Old 04-15-2005, 07:53 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try 3M Hand Glaze and wax afterwards.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:56 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
Try 3M Hand Glaze and wax afterwards.
Will that screw it up since I am using Zaino?
Old 04-16-2005, 03:31 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure, I don't use Zanio.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:40 AM
manofsteele2003

I've got the same problem so this is the remedy I'm going to use:
Wash car
Meguiars #9 swirl remover apllied with my Porter Cable 7424
Wash car with Dawn
Two coats of Z-5
One coat of Z-2 and of course Z-6 between coats
Finish off with the new Z-8
I've used the all the Meguiars line before with awesome results so this should take care of the swirls.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Vrm_Vrm

Zaino is NOT a swirl remover. It HIDES them. And ONLY light ones. To remove the swirls, you MUST USE A POLISH. I've seen amazing results using the Menzerna twins.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:26 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

1) 3M Swirl Mark Remover
2) Hand Glaze (optional)
3) Zaino again. Yes, SMR removes Zaino.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally Posted by zand02max
Will that screw it up since I am using Zaino?

Yes it will, those products don't mix at all.......
Old 04-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
1) 3M Swirl Mark Remover
2) Hand Glaze (optional)
3) Zaino again. Yes, SMR removes Zaino.
Don't forget to tell folks, that if they do it this way you need to wash the car off with Dawn after step number 2, as you don't want to apply Zaino on top of all the oils from the 3M stuff....
Old 04-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally Posted by zand02max
I cannot get rid of them no matter what I do. Those swirls/light scratches have been there since I took ownership of my Roadster back in January.

Some FUKCER decided to use those brushes at the car wash! Bastards!

I have put on 4 coats of Z-5, (2 coats) a month ago and 2 today, and guess what, they are still there. Should I go to an auto detailer to get these damn swirls/light scratches out? I am willing to pay some one serious $ to get my car looking new again.

HELP, I am sick of looking at them. I am not letting the dealer touch my car, they are the ones that did the damage.

How many coats of Z-5 does it take? I know you can only do two coats in a 24 hour period.

BTW, my previous Z, a PPW, was not as bad, I guess you really notice on the brighter colors!

One last note, I use DF Towels!
Z-5 can only fill so much, brush scratches will be pretty severe. You will need to purchase a Porter Cable orbital buffer get your self a swirl remover product like 3M Swirl Remover part number 39009 or use the Menzerna polishes with foam pads on the Porter Cable.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:43 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Kevin Overall
Don't forget to tell folks, that if they do it this way you need to wash the car off with Dawn after step number 2, as you don't want to apply Zaino on top of all the oils from the 3M stuff....
Thanks for the reminder Kevin.

I was doing the full treatment on one of my other cars this weekend and noticed two things.

1) After using SMR, the surface is almost "squeeky" clean. I wash anyway before putting Zaino on but I was surprised at how clean the surface felt.

2) I had a hard time removing the Hand Glaze. I had to work REAL HARD to get it off. I tried using a lot less in case I put it on too heavy. I tried waiting longer to let it dry. Neither seemed to make any difference. Any idea why it was so difficult to remove?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Kevin Overall

"I had a hard time removing the Hand Glaze. I had to work REAL HARD to get it off. I tried using a lot less in case I put it on too heavy. I tried waiting longer to let it dry. Neither seemed to make any difference. Any idea why it was so difficult to remove?"

Sure, thats an easy one, as with a Glaze, it always works best to remove it before it dries, just like you do with the 3M Swirl Mark Remover......

The 3M Imperial Hand Glaze has tons of oils for the shine of the paint, but it also has a slight cutter abrasive in it, I might use it when I want an extreme final finish on a dark color, but I am still going to remove the oils from the Glaze before Zaino application. Really, I don't use the Imperial very much at all since I am not really using it the way its supposed to be used, with a conventional wax, you would Glaze the car and then ust carnauba wax over that......

I may be switching from 3M entirely to the Menzerna polishes, I am going to order the Final and Intensive.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM
erockoneskee

I know what everyone says about DF towels and how they are so great... but i went to a detailer the other day and they told me the best way to check for towel quality is to whipe your towels and cloths on the face of a blank, unscratched CD-R and see if they leave scratches.

As soon as I got home, i tried this test and got results that were absolutely unexpected. My costco microfibre mit and the buffing microfibre cloth (Dagon Fibre Perfect Shine) i got from properautocare caused zero scratches on the blank cd. HOWEVER, the DF Towels I have, which were much more expensive than the other two types of cloths, DID leave scratches on the cd.

Now some of you are going to say "well you washed the towels wrong" or "your towels were dirty" or what not... but i followed the care directions EXACTLY as stated by the manufacturer when washing ALL of my towels and cloths(in DF Towels' case, washed with warm water and liquid detergent, then dried on medium/hot without any fabric softner) and performed the test after the towels had been washed.

So yeah, while the dealership probably caused some swirls, don't be surprised if the DF towels also caused some of them, because i know for a FACT that they caused many of the swirls on my car.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Porter Cable and 3M swril remover.

If they are real bad then use an orbital buffer with a 3M Perfect-it pad. These pads are great with a orbital!

Got 97% of mine out!! Follow it up with your Zaino or even apply a layer of 3M Machine glaze with the Porter Cable. The 3M hand glaze is awesome till you wash your car and it goes away.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:20 PM
myz8a4re

ok, quik question for you guys that know your detailing.......if your going to use a fine cut polish like 3m swirl remover or a glaze it would seem sensless to use a claybar right? wouldt the polish give the same results? also would you recommend that i use both the swirl remover polish & hand glaze afterwards? i have a SB z that has swirl marks & fine scratches like crazy.........im looking for the best/safest way to remove them.......what type of drying towel should i be using? i appeciate the help!

-justin
Old 04-18-2005, 06:27 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by myz8a4re
ok, quik question for you guys that know your detailing.......if your going to use a fine cut polish like 3m swirl remover or a glaze it would seem sensless to use a claybar right? wouldt the polish give the same results? also would you recommend that i use both the swirl remover polish & hand glaze afterwards? i have a SB z that has swirl marks & fine scratches like crazy.........im looking for the best/safest way to remove them.......what type of drying towel should i be using? i appeciate the help!

-justin
Yup, no need to use a claybar if you're polishing.

The Hand Glaze is optional. Considering my success or lack thereof with it this weekend, you probably want to avoid it anyway.

I use a large waffle-weave microfiber for drying. I try not to rub it across the surface when drying. I use it to pat dry spots or I lay it out across a surface to absorb whatever's there.

Start by rinsing and do the "sheeting" trick. Remove the nozzle from your hose and let the water run on the roof to flood it and cover it in a sheet of water. Quickly move the hose away to a lower surface (hood, etc.). You should see most if not all the water from the sheeted area run off as one huge drop. It will only leave a few drops if any. Use your towel to pat them dry. This method does the mimimal potential damage as you can see.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:36 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by erockoneskee
I know what everyone says about DF towels and how they are so great... but i went to a detailer the other day and they told me the best way to check for towel quality is to whipe your towels and cloths on the face of a blank, unscratched CD-R and see if they leave scratches.

As soon as I got home, i tried this test and got results that were absolutely unexpected. My costco microfibre mit and the buffing microfibre cloth (Dagon Fibre Perfect Shine) i got from properautocare caused zero scratches on the blank cd. HOWEVER, the DF Towels I have, which were much more expensive than the other two types of cloths, DID leave scratches on the cd.

Now some of you are going to say "well you washed the towels wrong" or "your towels were dirty" or what not... but i followed the care directions EXACTLY as stated by the manufacturer when washing ALL of my towels and cloths(in DF Towels' case, washed with warm water and liquid detergent, then dried on medium/hot without any fabric softner) and performed the test after the towels had been washed.

So yeah, while the dealership probably caused some swirls, don't be surprised if the DF towels also caused some of them, because i know for a FACT that they caused many of the swirls on my car.
When I first read this I though "this guy is crazy". I've used DF towels for over a year now on my Z and don't have any swirl marks. I thought "maybe he's got a counterfeit DF towel". Just for the hell of it I decided to do the CD test and to my shock and horror, the CD is covered with scratches!!!!!!

I too wash them by themselves in warm water with liquid soap and partially dry them in the dryer then hang them up to dry the rest of the way. I'm obsessively careful with them, to the point of keeping them sealed in ziploc bags to protect them. WTF is going on???

I have a few cotton towels that I use and I treat them with care too. They get washed separately with the same liquid detergent and follow the same drying process. I tried the CD test on them and there wasn't a scratch on the CD. That lead me to believe there's nothing wrong with the way I handle them. I just wish I had done the CD test on the DF towels when they were new.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:40 PM
myz8a4re

damn, looks like im staying away from these DF towels....
thanx for your input dave, i really appreciate it!
can somone post a link to a good detail supplier online where i can buy some of these car care products? my local shops just offer the usual garbage products( as far as microfiber towels goes)....

thanx,
-justin
Old 04-18-2005, 06:41 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I'll try the DF Towels on the CD thing, got me wondering now!

Anyone else care to chime in on the DF Towels? I have a brand new one, never opened, I will test it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Swirls/Light Scratches are Pissing me Off