Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Best way to remove touch up paint??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:52 AM
maximumsportZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to remove touch up paint??

Does anyone know the best way to remove touch up paint?? without damaging the clear coat??? Any help would be nice.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:46 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure exactly what you're asking. The following article explains how to make repairs to chips and dings with touch-up paint. Hopefully it has what you're looking for:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27
Old 04-25-2005, 01:05 PM
cyphr

You could try Langka but I'm not sure it will be able to get past the clearcoat. If you've just recently touched up your car and havn't applied the clearcoat but have the "blob" of paint, Langka would be your best bet.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:24 PM
maximumsportZ

Ok heres the deal, a few months ago I touched up a chip, now the paint doesn't even match, it just looks worst. What I want to know is how could I remove this old touch up paint?
Old 05-26-2005, 01:15 PM
TunaRollZ

same boat here...damn idiot people that like to hit your car with their doors, license plate frames, etc...

I heard you can use a clay bar or a very fine wetsander to level out nasty, bumpy touch up paint. I would imagine you'd have to sand the rest out...

Why can't factory touch up paint EVER match up anyway?? :P
Old 05-26-2005, 02:25 PM
sharingan625

sorry. misplaced. free bump for you~
Old 05-26-2005, 11:49 PM
JamRWS6

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Ok heres the deal, a few months ago I touched up a chip, now the paint doesn't even match, it just looks worst. What I want to know is how could I remove this old touch up paint?

Well as bad as this sounds.....you are going to have to gouge the spot to remove the paint.

You might be better off by just polishing the spot down to be level with the paint and most will not notice.

Otherwise....take a pointed object....I have a little sanding bar....and basically gouge the touch up paint out you applied. But be VERY careful not to goughe the good finish!

Touch up paint is paint just like that is on the car....so there is no miracle product that will remove only touch up, unfortunately.

Let us know how it comes out.

Originally Posted by TunaRollZ
I heard you can use a clay bar or a very fine wetsander to level out nasty, bumpy touch up paint. I would imagine you'd have to sand the rest out...
A clay bar definitely isn't going to take out dried touch-up. A clay bar really isn't abrasive and has no bite to get rid of paint that is uneven.

If the paint is "VERY" bumpy then you're going to have to wetsand to get a smoother surface....and then finish with a polish to restore the gloss and integrity to the paint surface.

Most of the time it's easier and SAFER to just use a cutting polish to level the paint out.

Last edited by JamRWS6; 05-26-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:42 PM
TunaRollZ

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
If the paint is "VERY" bumpy then you're going to have to wetsand to get a smoother surface....and then finish with a polish to restore the gloss and integrity to the paint surface.

Most of the time it's easier and SAFER to just use a cutting polish to level the paint out.
First off...nice car man. WS6es are damn hot.

Secondly, can you go into more detail on this 'cutting polish' you speak of?
Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 PM
maximumsportZ

Default Update.

Heres an update guys, I bought that Langka blob eliminator, that thing worked like a charm! it removed the old touch up paint perfectly while leaving a high gloss shine.

It's real use is to level off touch up paint with the original paint so it doesn't stand out, but i used about 2 coats which was more strength than needed because I wanted to completely remove the touch up paint.

If anyone was in my shoes trying to remove old touch up paint, I recommend you trying this.

Thanks cyphr.

To purchase, and info check it out: http://www.langka.com/index.cfm?page...fm&product=193

Last edited by maximumsportZ; 05-27-2005 at 10:19 PM.