Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Zaino verse Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Bonner928

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino verse Clear bra

I am struggling with this question and need some help. My beautiful Chrome silver touring Z has already been subjected to a few instances of evil highway debris resulting in 3 little chips. I was debating the clear bra for protection due to the high amount of highway miles I have to drive. (Got her Oct 12 and already have 5600K, with 2 weeks staying at home and never driven to work)
SOOOOO what do you guys think? Zaino or clear bra? I may be making a stupid assumtion here but I am assuming you can not use both, at least in the same area. And the follow up question if I get the clear bra, then do I zaino the rest of it?

BY the way, the best part of having my Z so far, dusting guys and watching in my rear view for the brief seconds as their pride falls below their dash!!!
(Actually I know I have just been lucky so far!!!)
Thanks!
Chic that digs her Z
Old 01-21-2003, 07:38 PM
ToddLuc

You may not have to give up either. They are complimentary. The Clear Bra (which I have) is awesome at thwarting off those nasty rocks, etc.

Zaino is a treatment for your car. It isn't a wax. The solution adheres to your paint. The only way to get it off is an alcohol bath, according to the web site.

Zaino is raved by many people. I do not use it myself. While it creates an absolutely beautiful finish, it is a plastic look that (I think) hides the true lines of the Z. This is obviously personal opinion.

I would, in the very least, get the Clear Bra. Only 3M will do for me. It doesn't turn yellow.

Todd
Old 01-21-2003, 11:07 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put that Zaino right over the 3M film they work fine together, as a matter of fact, Zbart from this board had 3 coats over his whole car with the bra installed, helped with the factory orange peel too
Old 01-22-2003, 11:45 AM
94 TA GT

I defenetly would not use Zaino in place of a clear bra. It does protect very ell, just not against objects like a pebble, flying at your car at 60+mph. Zaino has many good qualities, but it's not a cure all.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:26 PM
mikeinatlanta

They are totallly compatible. I put Z5 on many of my clear bras to make them look better.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:59 PM
favo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did folks who have a 3M clear bra do before having it installed? Something like this?

Wash car with Dawn (or Z-7)
Clay
Wash with Z-7

After installation do you treat the clear bra exactly the same as the rest of the paint? I.e., if you are using Z-2 on the paint, do you use it on the clear bra, too? Or is Z-5 preferred on the bra since it may take more abuse and need more "filling in"?

-Favo
Old 01-22-2003, 08:50 PM
mikeinatlanta

I wash the area with dawn to etch the Zaino. Unlike what they claim, it will not completely remove it. Then I wash it with Z-7. I have had provblems with adheasion when I don't use dawn. If you are getting an XPEL kit, I think the Dawn is not necessary.

Treat the bra just like you would treat your paint.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:39 AM
Kevin Overall

Zaino, as good as it is, will not protect against rock chips. Dawn will also not remove Zaino, Dawn is only use to remove OTHER kinds of waxes before your first application of Zaino, Dawn plays not part in the Zaino system after the first coat. I would advise not to apply Zaino until after you put on the clear film. You can however, Zaino over the clear film to make stuff not stick to it as bad.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:59 AM
favo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
Dawn will also not remove Zaino, Dawn is only use to remove OTHER kinds of waxes before your first application of Zaino, Dawn plays not part in the Zaino system after the first coat. I would advise not to apply Zaino until after you put on the clear film
My post above assumed a new car which has never been Zainoed. I assume that the car will be washed and waxed by the dealer (although I suppose you could ask them not to), hence the Dawn wash as first step.

I wonder if a new Z is likely to have noticeable swirl marks in the area to be covered by the clear bra? If they are present, what can be done to address this before application of the bra?

-Favo
Old 01-23-2003, 09:12 AM
Dean

Whether Zaino is on the paint or not is irrelevent. A good installer won't just rely on a Dawn washing. Prior to applying the "clear bra" film (3M Scotchcal), 3M recommends prepping the surface with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (part # 08984).

This stuff is clear coat safe, but nasty and volatile. It contains naphtha, and will strip waxes and polymers, including Zaino.

A link to 3M's recommendations:

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...eeejK_PhEEEE1-

Dean
Old 01-23-2003, 10:21 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by Dean
Whether Zaino is on the paint or not is irrelevent. A good installer won't just rely on a Dawn washing. Prior to applying the "clear bra" film (3M Scotchcal), 3M recommends prepping the surface with 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (part # 08984).

This stuff is clear coat safe, but nasty and volatile. It contains naphtha, and will strip waxes and polymers, including Zaino.

A link to 3M's recommendations:

Dean

Yes, I agree. On a side note, most over the counter waxes and polishes contain Naphtha also!!!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:42 AM
afr0puff

I am getting a clear bra installed this weekend and they will be using this 3M cleaner. Should I clay bar the areas before I go into the shop, or will this 3M product take care of everything?

This is what he told me... First we spray away any dust particles. Then we use 3M adhesive+wax remover to thoroughly clean the surface. And finally we spray with alcohol solution and squeegie away any remaining dust and small particles that got left behind.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:57 AM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by afr0puff
I am getting a clear bra installed this weekend and they will be using this 3M cleaner. Should I clay bar the areas before I go into the shop, or will this 3M product take care of everything?

I would clay it, to make sure for smoothness

This is what he told me... First we spray away any dust particles. Then we use 3M adhesive+wax remover to thoroughly clean the surface. And finally we spray with alcohol solution and squeegie away any remaining dust and small particles that got left behind.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:10 PM
mikeinatlanta

The 3M cleaner is not effective at removing Zaino. It is, however, part of a good surface prep. It may be overkill on a new unwaxed car, depending on what kit you are using.

Dawn will help adheasion on Zaino.

You want to clay your car before the clear bra is applied. It only takes a few minutes and makes the surface smoother.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Dean

"The 3M cleaner is not effective at removing Zaino"

With due respect to the professionals, this sounds like horse manure. I use Zaino as the primary paint protectant on my cars and I can assure you it doesn't have magical chemical resistance to the petroleum solvents in the 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Do you really think that a micron thin layer of Zaino polymer can't be removed with a solvent containing naphtha, xylene and ethylbenzene?

I've seen the 3M Cleaner strip cosmoline and strong adhesives that wouldn't budge with other petroleum based cleaners.

I'll email Sal Zaino to get his verdict on this.

Dean
(just an amateur, not selling anything)
Old 01-24-2003, 06:01 AM
mikeinatlanta

Originally posted by Dean
"The 3M cleaner is not effective at removing Zaino"

With due respect to the professionals, this sounds like horse manure. I use Zaino as the primary paint protectant on my cars and I can assure you it doesn't have magical chemical resistance to the petroleum solvents in the 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Do you really think that a micron thin layer of Zaino polymer can't be removed with a solvent containing naphtha, xylene and ethylbenzene?

I've seen the 3M Cleaner strip cosmoline and strong adhesives that wouldn't budge with other petroleum based cleaners.

I'll email Sal Zaino to get his verdict on this.

Dean
(just an amateur, not selling anything)
I'm not trying to start anything with you, just give sound advice. If you really want to know if a solvent will remove your wax, try it in an area with heavy build-up or in crevices. We have found that the 3M will not cut Zaino in these areas. If it works in this situation for you, great. I'm just saying it doesn't work for me. I would tell you what solvent we use to cut Zaino, but it is VERY high risk to certain plastics.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:19 AM
Dean

Just to clarify this Zaino/clear bra issue again....

I spoke to Sal Zaino this morning. Any solvent based solution used by Auto body shops to safely prep paint surfaces, including 3M General Purpose Adhesive/Wax Remover and 3M Prep Sol, will strip Zaino. Any claim that it doesn't is BS.

Even isopropyl alcohol used in clear bra film installation can strip Zaino, depending on how many layers there are.

Bottom line? Follow the manufacturer's advice when prepping your car for the "clear bra"

3M Link: