Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Tips on Swirl Marks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Tips on Swirl Marks?

I've had my car for about 2 weeks now and in that time it has gone through a billzard, mutiple rain storms, and an annoying cat that has repeatedly jumped on my hood. Which i might add that i am very tempted to kick in the face. In the little time i have had the car, theres micro scratches and swirl marks on the hood and trunk. I've tried to limit the marks as best as possible with the best microfiber towels but all has not stop the marks from occuring. Since its black its much more obvious then most colors out there, so is there any products or techniques that i could use to get rid/pervent scratching from occuring?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 PM
TheBigGuyRy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Searching would help...

Research a PC random orbital buffer. Got mine about a month ago... best investment for taking out swirls...

as far as preventing them...

Use two buckets when washing one for washing, one for rinsing... use only the finest, softest wash mit available... and so on and so on. Just do a search... if that doesn't work, go to http://www.autopia.org/

Sorry if there are any typos... I'm running on about 1.5 hours sleep for the past 48 hours and I'm sick as a dog.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:52 PM
ANXIOUZ

It's really tough to kick a cat in the face. They always seem to turn at the last minute and you end up getting them in the stomach. Every time. It's really frustrating.

As for the swirls, I've come to live with them. Just wash/wax regularly (gently!) and the shine will draw your eyes more than any marks. At least that's my take on it. There is really only so much you can do. The Nissan paint is lousy and at some point you'll have more scratches than swirls.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
SungNamZ

What are "the best microfiber towels"? You are going to get all sorts of recommendations on products. I might as well add my thoughts. I used Zaino for the better part of two years (51+ layers), then made the switch to using Autoglym products from: www.properautocare.com and www.detailsupplydepot.com They have a "new" polish that was 10-15 years in development that has just been released that is marketed for dark colored cars. Here is a list of the Autoglym products I use:

"Ultra Deep Shine", Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, Fast Glass, Instant Tire Dressing, Vinyl & Rubber Care and Perfect Polishing Cloth.

Proper Auto Care also has outstanding Buffing Cloths - VIP-BUFN/12

In addition, I am also getting some products from: www.griotsgarage.com

Sheep Skin Wash/Dust Mitt, Wheel Cleaner, Micro Fiber Drying Towel 25" X 35", Paint Cleaning Clay w/Speed Shine and Leather Care.

Probably more products than you wanted. For techniques I would look at: www.autopia-carcare.com

Last edited by SungNamZ; 02-21-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:58 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Considering that you car is new, lets not get serious with any type of abrasive polish. A good wax is fine. Plenty of suggestions here.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:06 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't waste time thinking you can avoid swirl marks. It's a losing battle no matter how hard you try to avoid them. Do your best to avoid them.... and be prepared to polish the car once every 6 months with a hi-speed buffer (NOT an orbital buffer) and a bottle of Mequiars Proffesional Machine Glaze #3. Your paint will be perfect. Apply 3M hand glaze onece a month and then a hand wax will hide all the swirls until you do the 6 month polish. Become profficient with a high speed polisher before attempting to work on your car or have a proffesional body shop do it.

Respect
JET
Old 02-22-2006, 04:09 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Don't waste time thinking you can avoid swirl marks. It's a losing battle no matter how hard you try to avoid them. Do your best to avoid them....
My Z is two years old and even in the brightest sunlight, only a few very small swirls or micro-scratches can be found. Mine is washed almost every week. You CAN avoid swirls if you wash and dry properly.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:14 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
...so is there any products or techniques that i could use to get rid/pervent scratching from occuring?
Here's some tips I posted a while back asking the same question in another thread....

It's more than just towels. In fact, what and how you wash it are probably more important than what you dry it with.

If you use a sponge or something that holds dirt, then you're scraping the dirt across the surface of your car. Use a lambs wool or cotton chenile mitt. Never use something like a kitchen dish towel or an old T-shirt. Too many things in them that can scratch your paint (i.e. nylon threads).

If you use a 1 gal bucket of water to wash the whole car, then by the time you're finished the water looks like chocolate milk from all the dirt. Again, you're rubbing it all over your paint. Use a 5 gal paint bucket - actually two of them. Once with soapy water to wash with and the second with clear water to rinse the mitt with before soaping it again.

Use powdered detergent? Don't, it doesn't totally dissolve and the solid particles will scratch your paint.

Wash your wheels with the same mitt/cloth as the car? Wash the wheels first? Don't - the brake dust will get into the cloth and your wash water and scratch the paint. Wash the wheels first then rinse everything out before washing the car. I use a soft cloth on the wheels that never touches the cars paint.

Don't wash the lower parts of the car first - they're usually dirtier having picked up road grime, tar, etc. Always wash from the top down.

Drying the car is the easy part to avoiding scratches. When done properly most of the water beads off anyway. What little is left can be absorbed just by laying a WW towel on it. No rubbing - no scratching.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 02-22-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:32 PM
TheBigGuyRy

Electric leaf blower is priceless for drying... the less you touch your car the better... just make sure the area is clear of debris first... it'll insure a less swirled car AND a cleaner driveway.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigGuyRy
Electric leaf blower is priceless for drying... the less you touch your car the better... just make sure the area is clear of debris first... it'll insure a less swirled car AND a cleaner driveway.
+1, love my electric leaf blower, blows 95% of the water off, the rest i can dry with 2 small microfiber towels. blower gets all the water out of the cracks too. i have volks so this also fixes the issue with water on the inner well. my neighbors hate me but i could careless.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

My neighbors don't hate me but they sure think I'm crazy. I try not to run the blower before 9 or 10 AM though, otherwise the wifey won't be happy.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:33 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by Nexx
+1, love my electric leaf blower, blows 95% of the water off, the rest i can dry with 2 small microfiber towels. blower gets all the water out of the cracks too. i have volks so this also fixes the issue with water on the inner well. my neighbors hate me but i could careless.
+2
Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
NissanGuy

I had a bunch of swirls but used some meguiars nxt tech wax today and they're all gone. I was very impressed.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
indierock

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
I've had my car for about 2 weeks now and in that time it has gone through a billzard, mutiple rain storms, and an annoying cat that has repeatedly jumped on my hood. Which i might add that i am very tempted to kick in the face.

Freaking cats man. I have the same problem with my car. I'm thinkin about setting up a tent late nite and have at the cat with a bebe gun. That oughta teach him to not to f*** with my car.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:27 PM
indierock

Originally Posted by NissanGuy
I had a bunch of swirls but used some meguiars nxt tech wax today and they're all gone. I was very impressed.
did you apply the wax by hand?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by NissanGuy
Waxes won't remove swirls, that takes a polish. Most likely, it's "covered" or obscured the swirls but over time as the wax washes/wears off, they'll show up again.