Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Meguiar's Water Magnet Vs. The Absorber

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:10 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Default Meguiar's Water Magnet Vs. The Absorber

Last month I read a thread about drying clothes. A few comparison's were made one in particular caught my eye: The Meguiar's Water Magnet vs. The Absorber. Being a big "Absorber" fan, I decided to put the Water Magnet to the test. Two days ago I ran out and purchased a Water Magnet, then gave the Z a good washing. Upon initial use I found the Magnet to be extremely absorbant, able to dry half the car before it even became saturated! Not bad. It left no streaks and absorbed water aggresively. However, after the initial use is where it's performance decreased considerably.
You could compare it to a bathroom drying towel. When the towel is completely dry it's first application is wonderful, but once saturated it lacks in ability to continue soaking water. Sure one might think, "I'll just wring it out", then it'll perform satisfactory again. Unfortunately no matter how hard you twist the Magnet, it never seems like you can squeeze enough water out to render it useful again. When I say useful I mean, useful enough to dry half the vehicle as the original application. To my dissatisfaction it seemed like a constant battle to keep the Magnet dry enough to absorb anymore water off the vehicle. Instead, there was a constant streaking problem. Some other cons to the Magnet were that it snags easily on such components like the windshield wipers and it tends to get stained easily. Another flaw was the texture of the cloth. While the waffle texture is the miracle behind it's absorbing power, it is not user friendly to your hands. During the course of drying I probably had to wring it out about 15-20 times. The waffle texture cause the cloth to become rough when you're wringing it out. The only way to describe the feeling is imagine opening a case of bottled long necks with your bare hands. After awhile your hands become a little raw. But in it's defense I might add that it is extremely versatile when trying to dry tight crevices.
Needless to say I had to resort back to The Absorber. While it may not offer as much absorbing power as the Magnet does, on initial use, it does offer superior drying power throught the entire drying process. It's ease of use, easily cleaned, stain resistant material, non-streaking technology, ease of storage, and duability make it number one in book.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:09 PM
RP-350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what your saying vo,

I too use to use the absorber, however I got 2 WW drying towels and while drying my Z I need to use both of them or I get the same streaking problem you have. One great thing about the WW towels are that they have nap to them. So if there is any left behind dirt you won't drag it across your paint causing marring. With the absorber you don't have this nap to pull up the dirt. Buy a couple Meguiars Water Magnets and see how that works. After I finish I just hang them up to dry. Those WW towels don't wring like the absorber. I've also heard that using the WW doesn't remove any wax like the absorber MIGHT. Not saying it does b/c I'm not positive but when running it across the paint it "sticks" easier than a WW does.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Kabs

I love the absorber... however i got some dirt on it and no mater how many times i wash it the damn thing is stained... w/e still dries amazingly

I love the damn thing... never using towels every again
Old 02-27-2006, 09:27 AM
mrZeee

I'd put the abosorber back in the closet...technology marches forward
Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 AM
SungNamZ

I have several Meguiar's Water Magnet, WW towels from Pak Shak and Autopia. None of the problems described above. Dry my entire car with one towel. Never have to wring out. Use a 2nd to dry area under the hatch, engine area and door jams. After use, throw them in the washer, then the dryer without any type of softener.

My next purchase of similar towel will be from: www.griotsgarage.com Same as "Water Marget", but measure 25" X 35"
Old 02-27-2006, 09:56 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you dry a water magnet? Can I throw it in the clothes dryer without damaging it?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by sq40
How do you dry a water magnet? Can I throw it in the clothes dryer without damaging it?
Mine probably get washed and dried at least once per week. Been using for better than two months. Wash using liquid detergent only. Packaging says no bleach or fabric softeners. I throw in the dryer on medium - low heat. If still damp, I then hang dry. Have experience NO damage.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
mchong75

So, is the 'Absorber' from Meguiar also?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by mchong75
So, is the 'Absorber' from Meguiar also?
No sir, two different companies.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 AM
ReavTek

I use the Sonus Der Wunder towel and absolutely love it. It's huge and dries the car very easily. You can wring it out and it continues to dry just as well as before. Problem is you have to buy it online as I have not seen it in stores.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
A Keno Star

I use the abosorber works well for me, but i might have to try this maguiars water magnet you guys are talking about. Where can i buy it?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:15 AM
SungNamZ

Don't know if you can find it yet at PepBoys, AutoZone or Checker. I had to order mine at: www.mequiars.com You might want to look at: www.griotsgarage.com Can't recall Mequiars price, but the Griot's "Micro Fiber Drying Towel" Item #11117 is virtually the same towel but larger. It measues 25" X 35".