Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Car Detailer says never use claybar on dark cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Tsyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Detailer says never use claybar on dark cars?

I was getting my Tint installed and i talked to a guy from the car detailing shop next door and he said to never claybar a dark color car. I was too busy looking at the people install the tint so all i said to the guy was oh... ok...

but now i'm wondering why he would say that.

Have you guys ran into any probleming clay baring your car?

I just got the $90 Zaino kit and waiting for a weekend to do the entire car.

The car is is still pretty new... about 2 months old... and i only drive the car on weekends.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not sure why he'd say that either. I've done several "dark" cars including my Z and have had absolutely no problems (Zaino claybar to be exact). You should have asked him exactly why.

Maybe he had a bad experience using a heavy clay on a dark car and attributed the problem to it being dark instead of him using too coarse of a clay.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:30 PM
plumpzz

i can see what he means. If you use the claybar incorrectly, it can baddly scratch the car. It scratched mine, but very lightly the first time i used it. I can still feel it with my nail, but its not visible to the eye.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:16 PM
mikeg8r

The guy at Meguiar's at our last detail day never mentioned anything about it, but then again, they're selling the stuff. I think if you use it correctly it should be as safe to use on dark colored cars as it is on light colored ones.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:17 PM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Maybe he had a bad experience using a heavy clay on a dark car and attributed the problem to it being dark instead of him using too coarse of a clay.
+1 that's a good point
Old 05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by plumpzz
i can see what he means. If you use the claybar incorrectly, it can baddly scratch the car. It scratched mine, but very lightly the first time i used it. I can still feel it with my nail, but its not visible to the eye.

How could you use it wrong? Different types of clay/procedures? I ask this because I bought the mothers $16 kit and it worked great! I don't know if its good stuff but my paint has never been smoother. The instructions pretty much said "If you drop it don't use it." I could see this detailer dropping the clay too much and lying about scratches because he doesn't want to offer this service.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:37 PM
LaPuLaPu

The clay is very abrasive. If you do not use the proper lubrication, then it will create scratches more noticeable in darker cars. Do not just use water alone! That is why Meguiar's sells their clay in a package that includes a lube/spray.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I have a DB Roadster and I just used the Maguires Claybar kit, and I couldn't have been happier. I can't wait to do it again! Paint is in better shape now, than when it was new.

Next time I am going Zaino, just to see how the legend holds up!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:53 PM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have to say that sometimes the big particles can get stuck on the clay bar and actually cause deeper scratches. In some ways, i agree with him... unless u have the patience to do it right, dont use clay bar.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:03 PM
zzrobzz

I agree with him too. I only clay when absolutely necessary.

And when I do use it, I go through a full-size bar and a bunch of lube. I also switch the clay surface a million times.

I have a few small scratches from the first time I used it. I guess something got into it and I didn't notice.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:03 PM
LaPuLaPu

I own a super black Z. Before I clay it I wash it twice and then clay. As I am claying I mix the clay so that there is a fresh surface to clay with. You will be very surprise on how much contamination that clay will pickup and makes you wonder many times you can use that same clay. Heavy pressure on the clay is not required, let the clay do its job. After claying, polishing, and wax, my car looks better than the day I picked it up from the dealer.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 PM
LaPuLaPu

BTW, you dont want to clay every time you wash your car. I would do it once a year or every other. This is the first I've clayed my car since owning it and it's been 2 1/2 years of ownership.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:36 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
+1. I understand the comment coming from a pro. Just like a orbital buffer, in the wrong hands claybar can be harmful.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:00 PM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by LaPuLaPu
The clay is very abrasive. If you do not use the proper lubrication, then it will create scratches more noticeable in darker cars. Do not just use water alone! That is why Meguiar's sells their clay in a package that includes a lube/spray.
Yeah, the Mothers came with detail spray, clay bar and wax. The bar was a little larger than than bar soap from a hotel. For $16 it worked great.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:30 PM
gunser

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I'd agree with him...especially if you're really trying hard not to get ANY swirl marks.

If your black paint is in good shape already, I'd say it's not worth it...If you already have swirls then it's a different story.

Now it might make sense to claybar before polishing, seeing as how the polishing would take care of any minor imperfections caused by the clay.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:53 PM
mikeg8r

^ Yes, also if you look at it as part of a process you wash & dry-clay bar-maybe wash & dry again-polish (which will remove any minor scratches that the clay bar would have produced)-then wax and buff.

Again this is what was taught to us at Meguiar's seminar. I would not be afraid to use a claybar on a dark colored vehicle, but there's no reason to use it on any car if it doesn't need it.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
picus

Only an inexperienced detailer will cause damage with clay. Clay, like any other detailing tool, is very effective when used correctly.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Tsyle

so do you guys suggest me to not use the clay bar? I just bought the zaino kit and was going to wax the car to see if there's a difference between the factory wax vs the zaino. My car is only 2 months old and sits in the garage during weekdays.

Well i'm going to try out the claybar on my black honda accord (since its old now... i won't mind as much if i screw up bad... haha)
Old 05-23-2006, 02:18 PM
zzrobzz

Yeah, I would see no reason to clay your Z.

And when you use it on the accord, just follow the directions as well as the tips in this thread.

Here's some more info:
http://properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html
Old 05-23-2006, 02:22 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with word choice there! Abrasive is a 4-letter word on a detail forum...unless used an intended. Clays aren't abrasive in the very least. I think you meant sticky or "frictiony" (yes, that word is my invention), which is absolutely true. I use shampoo suds to provide lubrication while claying.

Quick Reply: Car Detailer says never use claybar on dark cars?