Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Any other Menzerna users?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,302 Likes on 903 Posts
Default Any other Menzerna users?

This year I tried the Menzerna product line on my Redline track model. A little more labor-intensive with polish, final touch finisher and FMJ (Full Molecular Jacket), but the results look good.

I was using Blackfire and really like that product line as well. Both seem pretty durable; particularly when you layer them.

Anybody else try the Menzerna line and have any comments or comparisons?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:46 PM
nofeardude87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried the wax from them. I really liked how it could be buffed off very easily and it gave a nice shine. My only complaint was that it didn't hide swirls/imperfections as well as the nxt i used before.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:52 PM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

I have had ome experiance with it, best on dark colors...works on red also. The "Menzerna Twins" are a popular combo.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think Menzerna make a wax, all thier product are synthetic polymeres.
I love the FMJ, better than Zaino in my opinion, I have used the the new Blackfire wet Diamond as well, good stuff but not up to par with FMJ.

Jerry
Old 11-14-2006, 07:38 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yes, Menzerna is a polymer product, not a wax. How has it held up in other parts of the country? Here in Colorado, I usually do the full detail every four months and it really keeps my Redline looking better than new.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:11 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Just detailed a Silverstone Z with Menzerna. The paint really came to life, but it does take time to wash, clay, polish, finishing touch glaze and finally FMJ. Has anybody found a better order or method to use Menzerna?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:53 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

After checking the properautocare site, I'm going to try the revised Blackfire sealant over the FMJ. Has anyone ever tried to layer the two products?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The experiment with layering Blackfire Wet Diamond finish over the Menzerna FMJ is looking real good. Now, if we could keep the DUST down a bit during our Colorado winters, this Z would have unrivaled shine!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Vader007

The FMJ holds up well here in the Philly area!
As far as layering wet diamond over FMJ, I wouldnt, Blackfire is Properautocare's house brand, so you are buying a generic for of FMJ if you will. I use the same steps as you except for the finishing glaze which should go on last, not before the fmj unless your using it to level off your paint after the polish. I still dont like anything under or on top of the FMJ.

Jerry
Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 PM
helldorado

Originally Posted by Vader007
The FMJ holds up well here in the Philly area!
As far as layering wet diamond over FMJ, I wouldnt, Blackfire is Properautocare's house brand, so you are buying a generic for of FMJ if you will. I use the same steps as you except for the finishing glaze which should go on last, not before the fmj unless your using it to level off your paint after the polish. I still dont like anything under or on top of the FMJ.

Jerry
You want to use FTG, then FMJ. If you use the glaze over the FMJ, you're not going to get the full protection benefits of FMJ and the glaze will disappear very quickly. Glaze helps to fill in and hide the little swirls and imperfections in the clear, then FMJ seals over it. Use a good carnauba wax over the FMJ if you want the finished, wet look.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:27 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yes, I agree that using Final Touch Glaze (FTG) before the FMJ is the proper order. I also think layering the Blackfire Wet Diamond over the FMJ works well in adding depth and shine. With our cold winter just starting here in Colorado, we'll see how long the protection lasts!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:17 PM
schweatty

im a menzerna fan. blackfire and zaino dont really get the swirls out they way FPII does (yes..i understand they arent really polishes). i really like the way FTG prepares the surface for the FMJ. cant say enough about FMJ. goes on easy and its slicker than snot. luv it.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by schweatty
im a menzerna fan. blackfire and zaino dont really get the swirls out they way FPII does (yes..i understand they arent really polishes). i really like the way FTG prepares the surface for the FMJ. cant say enough about FMJ. goes on easy and its slicker than snot. luv it.
Since SLC has a similar climate to Denver, I'm wondering what kind of durability you're getting with the FMJ. Here in Colorado, multiple coats of Menzerna FMJ didn't seem to last as long as the old formula Blackfire. How often do you have to detail your Z?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:07 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by dkmura
Has anybody found a better order or method to use Menzerna?
Hello David. Do you apply Menzerna polishes by hand or with a PC? I hope it's the latter in order if you're really looking into removing swirls. Menzerna's two downsides are its propensity to stain EVERY unpainted surface it touches, and the high amount of residue it generates. That said, IMO it is the best polishing line out there (I've never used their LSPs). Dusting is reduced a great deal if you mix IP or FPII with a superior glaze like ClearKote's Red Moose Machine Glaze or Meg's Show Car Glaze in a 70/30 combo, plus that also greatly helps with the working time of the Menzerna line when used with a PC and thus gives even better swirl-removal results. Stain prevention, of course, is a simple matter of using liberal amounts of painter's tape to cover everything but paint.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:42 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks for the tips, usmanasif. I've tried applications both ways and agree that using the PC is superior. After reading the comments here, I'll give Menzerna another shot once springtime arrives. It looks like it'll take that long before our snow will melt at this rate!

Glad I've got the Z garaged for the season, but if I didn't, I'd want to have a good multi-coat poly sealant on it!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:09 AM
zzrobzz

I've used Menzerna products. But I prefer the new XMT series from Pinnacle. Easier to use and the results are better as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Chris @ GGD

Originally Posted by dkmura
Since SLC has a similar climate to Denver, I'm wondering what kind of durability you're getting with the FMJ. Here in Colorado, multiple coats of Menzerna FMJ didn't seem to last as long as the old formula Blackfire. How often do you have to detail your Z?
Top the fmj w/ some collininte 845. You'll have a lot of protection w/ that combo
Old 12-29-2006, 03:38 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by Chris @ GGD
Top the fmj w/ some collininte 845. You'll have a lot of protection w/ that combo
Yes, plenty of protection no doubt, but it will dull the FMJ. FMJ is one of those LSPs that just do not like a topper at all. Even Souveran, the king of all carnaubas, dulls FMJ.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Chris @ GGD

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Yes, plenty of protection no doubt, but it will dull the FMJ. FMJ is one of those LSPs that just do not like a topper at all. Even Souveran, the king of all carnaubas, dulls FMJ.
yea, I just like that combo for winter protection where I'm not terribly concerned w/ its looks but more for keeping the harsh conditions off the dd.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:29 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

It's been a few weeks since I tried the revised Blackfire Wet Diamond on both my 200SX Se-R and my wife's Maxima, but it seems to be holding up well. Both these cars are our DDs during the winter. With two major snowstorms coming through the Denver area, the 12-18" of snow that got packed on just slides right off. The salt, mag chloride and ice slicer look like they aren't packing on over the finish as well.

Quick Reply: Any other Menzerna users?