Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Gum Vandalized

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Gooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gum Vandalized

Some jerk put 2 chewed up gum on my fender.... How do I get it off without damaging the paint?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

Wear gloves and try and take off as much as you can without scratching your car. Goo Gone works, it will more than likely strip the wax off. I used some goo gone on my rear hatch when I took off my emblem and it took that adhesive off without dammaging the paint. Make sure you wax after. I think there is some other stuff called 'oops' they may have the same effect.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:23 PM
dchengmd

Goo-Gone.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 PM
xjongsangx80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn..sorry to hear that bro..it must be gooey..
Try to take it off easy and remove all gum residues by using goo-gone, clay bar and wax the area that is affected. Might need slight porter cable buffing.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

Should take care of it, dont worry bro.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:31 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dchengmd
Goo-Gone.

lol, that would mess up the paint for sure. Go get goo gone for automotive and use a clean microfiber.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM
dchengmd

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
lol, that would mess up the paint for sure. Go get goo gone for automotive and use a clean microfiber.
You don't know what you're talking about. Goo-Gone works fine and won't mess up your paint. It's even a FAQ on their website:

1. Can I use Goo Gone to remove tar, stickers, grease off my car?

Goo Gone is safe on your car exterior, using instructions for hard surfaces. It's safe on your upholstery and carpeting, using the instructions for carpeting. It's safe on the vinyl and glass, but may remove the tint from the tinted side of windows.

Last edited by dchengmd; 07-02-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 PM
SuperBlack350z

You don't know what you're talking about. Goo-Gone works fine and won't mess up your paint. It's even a FAQ on their website:
Actually , Goo Gone is one of our representative sponsors for our detail center at the dealership i work at. They supply Goo gone for all of our branch stores in NC. Goo Gone automotive formula is diluted a good amount from the original Goo Gone. We use the orginal Goo Gone for the floors of the shop sometimes and the carpets in the waiting room. It cleary states from Goo Gone that you are not to mix the two because it will do harm to waxless paint jobs. If you are familiar with it, look at the two and the automotive formula is a lighter color(maybe due to citris). It's like acetone. You don't want to be rubbing the strong original Goo Gone in the paint. I also make sure to tell this infomation to the new guys we get at work since it's our policy to inform them because we would be responsible for any mishap of paint.

Goo Gone would not make one orginal and one for automotive and have the same formula. That would be false advertisement.

So sorry sir, you dont know what you are talking about.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 PM
SuperBlack350z

And to the OP, if you do use the goo gone, don't keep rubbing into the paint. Take a few swipes at it to see if it starts breaking down. Keep doing that softly until it's gone.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 PM
dchengmd

So sorry sir, you dont know what you are talking about.
Funny. Tell that to the fair number of people both here and in other forums, including Autopia, that have had zero problems using plain Goo-Gone to remove anything from stickers and gum to car logos and dealer badging.

There is NO problem with using Goo Gone on your car's finish, unless you're an idiot that pours it on and lets it sit. And if you do that, even the automotive formula isn't going to prevent problems. The stuff works quickly - just wipe it on, get the residue off, wipe it off, and re-wax. I've used it on my Z, and have used it on my current car. Again, zero problems.

Goo Gone is NOT like acetone. It's citrus (aqueous) based, not petroleum based. I'm surprised your distributor/whatever doesn't know that. Unless you're talking about Goof-Off, which does similar things but is xylene based. Diluting a solvent does nothing - it's still a solvent. All it does is slow down whatever rate of damage it causes to a surface. And like I said, just don't use plain Goof Off like a dolt and you'll be fine.

Last edited by dchengmd; 07-02-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 PM
SuperBlack350z

Funny. Tell that to the fair number of people both here and in other forums, including Autopia, that have had zero problems using plain Goo-Gone to remove anything from stickers and gum to car logos and dealer badging.

There is NO problem with using Goo Gone on your car's finish, unless you're an idiot that pours it on and lets it sit. And if you do that, even the automotive formula isn't going to prevent problems. The stuff works quickly - just wipe it on, get the residue off, wipe it off, and re-wax. I've used it on my Z, and have used it on my current car. Again, zero problems.

Goo Gone is NOT like acetone. It's citrus (aqueous) based, not petroleum based. I'm surprised your distributor/whatever doesn't know that. Unless you're talking about Goof-Off, which does similar things but is xylene based. Diluting a solvent does nothing - it's still a solvent. All it does is slow down whatever rate of damage it causes to a surface. And like I said, just don't use plain Goof Off like a dolt and you'll be fine.
i said it's like acetone, meaning it evaps pretty quick. Of course you can might be fine using goo gone orginal but i rather do it properly and not run into the risk of damaging. A person that is not into detailing can easily mess it up. At work, i would never mix the two especially if i'm getting paid to do a car. That's half assing a job. If their are two formulas at the store, one for automotive, one for household or all purpose, it's dumb not to get the automotive.

This discussion can go on and on. My point is that the two formula is not the same. I'm telling him to get the one that is intended for what he is trying to do that won't run into any type of problems where he has to:
A) polish out scratches
B) rewax a spot

Diluting does slow down the process which is exactly why its for automotive and especially for clearcoat and paint.

Last edited by SuperBlack350z; 07-02-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 PM
dchengmd

i said it's like acetone, meaning it evaps pretty quick.
Uh, no. Like I said, Goo Gone is AQUEOUS based - meaning its rate of evaporation is closer to water than a hydrocarbon-based solvent like gasoline or acetone.

Does lemon or orange juice evaporate "pretty quick"? By your statement above it should, since Goo Gone's primary active ingredient comes from lemons and oranges.

Sorry, but you are flat-out wrong on this one. Don't believe me? Leave an ounce of Goo Gone next to an ounce of acetone out in a well-ventilated area for a week or two and see which one has evaporated faster.

Of course you can might be fine using goo gone orginal but i rather do it properly and not run into the risk of damaging. A person that is not into detailing can easily mess it up. At work, i would never mix the two especially if i'm getting paid to do a car. That's half assing a job. If their are two formulas at the store, one for automotive, one for household or all purpose, it's dumb not to get the automotive.
I'm not denying this at all. If you have a choice, buy whatever type of Goo Gone you need. I was merely responding to your contention that plain Goo Gone damages auto paint. It doesn't.

This discussion can go on and on. My point is that the two formula is not the same. I'm telling him to get the one that is intended for what he is trying to do that won't run into any type of problems where he has to:
A) polish out scratches
I fail to see how using plain Goo Gone will cause more scratches. There's no proof of this whatsoever.

B) rewax a spot
Automotive Goo Gone also strips off wax. If it didn't, it couldn't remove gum or sticker residue.

Diluting does slow down the process which is exactly why its for automotive and especially for clearcoat and paint.
'Slowing down the process' is irrelevant in this case, when both formulas work and will not damage paint when used correctly.

Last edited by dchengmd; 07-02-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Jabdo233

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear peanut butter helps also.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 PM
dchengmd

Originally Posted by Jabdo233
I hear peanut butter helps also.
Careful - chunky peanut butter will scratch your paint. Use the creamy kind.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 PM
SuperBlack350z

Uh, no. Like I said, Goo Gone is AQUEOUS based - meaning its rate of evaporation is closer to water than a hydrocarbon-based solvent like gasoline or acetone..
Since you have used it, once swiped with it on paint, it will evap quick.

Does lemon or orange juice evaporate "pretty quick"? By your statement above it should, since Goo Gone's primary active ingredient comes from lemons and oranges..
I'm talkinga about when you actually wipe the product on not leaving it on the paint itself.

Sorry, but you are flat-out wrong on this one. Don't believe me? Leave an ounce of Goo Gone next to an ounce of acetone out in a well-ventilated area for a week or two and see which one has evaporated faster..
Of course acetone will evap quicker.

I'm not denying this at all. If you have a choice, buy whatever type of Goo Gone you need. I was merely responding to your contention that plain Goo Gone damages auto paint. It doesn't..
It cleary states on their guide that they have no responsibility if we mix up the two and use the all purpose cleaner on automotive paint. Since they are one of our sponsors, if their product used properly messed up anything, they would pay for damages.

I fail to see how using plain Goo Gone will cause more scratches. There's no proof of this whatsoever..
Scratches are caused by the person using it. If you used original Goo Gone on paint and somehow scratched it, don't go blaming the manufacture because you used the wrong product. You are just telling him from "YOUR" experience from the original Goo Gone. So it's merely a "tip".

Automotive Goo Gone also strips off wax. If it didn't, it couldn't remove gum or sticker residue..
That's why its diluted. Its slows down the process. When using it, just a couple of swipes and it will be gone depending on what is being taken off. With a very good sealant, wax will not be taken off in a quick amount of time with Goo gone automotive formula.

'Slowing down the process' is irrelevant in this case, when both formulas work and will not damage paint when used correctly.
For example, next time for your car, use full degreaser and not diluted degreaser and see what harm it will do in the future of your car since they both will cure the problem at "the time being".
Old 07-02-2007, 10:02 PM
buffmanjeff

why is it a coincidence your sn is gooey? gum....gooey. Thought that was weird. BTW, I've used goo gone to get 3m adhesive off my paint, worked well.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
dchengmd

Since you have used it, once swiped with it on paint, it will evap quick.

I'm talkinga about when you actually wipe the product on not leaving it on the paint itself.
This argument doesn't hold water. The rate of evaporation is based on a liquid's vapor pressure. It has nothing to do with what surface it's rubbed on. Wipe a towel soaked with water on your paint - that will evaporate quickly as well.

Of course acetone will evap quicker.
Then, by your own words, Goo Gone is not like acetone.

It cleary states on their guide that they have no responsibility if we mix up the two and use the all purpose cleaner on automotive paint. Since they are one of our sponsors, if their product used properly messed up anything, they would pay for damages.
I won't deny this, but I find it funny that there is no such warning on the bottle of regular Goo Gone. Very interesting that the company wants to keep this such a big secret from its consumers and only wants to let its distributors know about the dangers of Goo Gone on car paint.

Also, Magic American (the company that manufactures Goo Gone) should be sued for false advertising, wouldn't you agree? After all, it says clearly on their own website that plain Goo Gone is safe for all external automotive surfaces.

Scratches are caused by the person using it. If you used original Goo Gone on paint and somehow scratched it, don't go blaming the manufacture because you used the wrong product. You are just telling him from "YOUR" experience from the original Goo Gone. So it's merely a "tip".
So are you saying that if I scratched my car's finish using Automotive Goo Gone, it's OK to blame the manufacturer?

That's why its diluted. Its slows down the process. When using it, just a couple of swipes and it will be gone depending on what is being taken off. With a very good sealant, wax will not be taken off in a quick amount of time with Goo gone automotive formula.
Completely wrong. If you're using a solvent that's strong enough to remove solid residue like gum or stickers, it's going to remove wax or polymer sealant as well. Period. I don't care how well diluted it is. If it removes one, it'll remove the other. If you disagree, I'd like to see some empirical proof.

For example, next time for your car, use full degreaser and not diluted degreaser and see what harm it will do in the future of your car since they both will cure the problem at "the time being".
I'm not in the habit of using degreaser on my car's finish on a regular basis. This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

I don't care what any rep or guide has told you. They're wrong. Period. If you really want to back up your statements, then provide some scientific evidence, not some blurb from some guide - because everything you have said does not make any sense chemically, and even the manufacturer's website doesn't agree with you. Look, all I did was refute your original "LOL that would mess up your paint for sure" statement. Like I said, I've used Goo Gone multiple times on various cars and I have never 'messed up my paint for sure'.

Last edited by dchengmd; 07-02-2007 at 10:20 PM.