Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

FUN STORY: bird shiat ruined my hood. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
syf0n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUN STORY: bird shiat ruined my hood. What to do?

Long story short: I left for the weekend and a bird shat on my hood. I wasn't around to clean it. I got back, saw it, and washed it immediately. TOO LATE! The bird wins and my clearcoat is farked. I will take a photo of what happened but basically the clearcoat bubbled where the shiat was.

What can I do to fix this, polish?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:20 AM
syf0n

And just for the sake of knowing, this happened through three coats of Blackfire. That must have been one steamy freakin bird crap...probably burned the bird's ***.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Showcars

Is the paint really bubbled, or is it etched? If it bubbled (paint actually separated from a lower layer), you are farked. If it is etched, you can probably clean it up with some 3M swirl mark remover and a random-orbital buffer. The abrasive in that product is so fine, you aren't going to do much damage, and a random orbital doesn't spin nearly fast enough to burn the paint. Let's hope it just etched the blackfire (the 3M product will strip it), and underneath the paint is still in good shape. Buff with plenty of 3M for about 30 seconds, then spray with dish soap & water and wipe. Dry it off and inspect (it'll usually look fine wet, so dry it to be sure you got it all). If there is still a mark, repeat the buff & wash. If you do this 5 times and still have a mark, bring it to a high-end paint shop and ask them to buff it or wet sand it.

Birds should wear diapers!
Old 05-08-2003, 09:50 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is etched you still maybe screwed, same thing happened to my old car, I did EVERYTHING short of wetsanding, with NO luck.

btw, NO, and I mean NO paint care product will STOP that, if it is alkaline enough to eat paint, the paint products people talk about here DON'T have a chance (I know people will FLAME me for that as they actually seem to believe some of the info-mercials out there that show flame throwers pointed at cars with NO damage, but I am talking reality)

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:57 PM
ZZZ-35

Same problem with 4 coats Zaino, 2hrs of large bird crap sitting on the bonnet of my DB Track. Got home wash it off saw the eched stain marks, freaked out! the bird sh#t was on there all of 2hrs. Used Meguire Swirl remover paste and luckerly must have only etched the Zaino, it's come up just fine. So how come the Zaino is damage so easy, I'm new too Zaino and have had the Teflon paint treatment on my previous cars and had bird crap on the paint for days with no ill effects. I though Zaino was the ants pants when it came to protecting my paint??? I knocked back the dealers Crystal Guard paint protection deal (with a life time warranty to protect the paint from bird crap) this time round in favour of Zaino as highly recommended by members of this site, did I make a big mistake???

David

Last edited by ZZZ-35; 05-09-2003 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:02 AM
BillR

I too cleaned off a birdturd that was on the car. I don't know how long it was there, but the car was in the sun all day. Good news, it came right off with a wet rag that I set on it to get it loose. There was no damage to paint. It came off much easier than norm, and I attribute that to CG.

Side note, bugs on the bumper no longer stick either. With all the waxes etc. I have tried, removing bugs is a b*t*h. But now (CG) they come right off.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:53 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you guys/gals w/o a garage or carport, you might want to consider a cover.

A couple weeks back my Zzzz was offended at a restraunt because I parked under a tree. Dumb. Bird left his message but no damage.

Note to self: never park under anything a bird can sit on!!
Old 05-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Kevin V

I've been using Zaino for 5 years and have yet to have a mark left from our feathering bombers. Since this "stuff" will eat steel, nothing will stop it forever. The best thing is to provide the best protection to slow it down as much as possible before it causes damage. This is what Zaino does, of course the more coats applied the better the protection.

I was in Milwaulkee a couple of years ago and parked in a corner taking 2 spaces on a rooftop of a parking garage. I came out after 5 days to find my car COVERED in seagull "stuff". It had been baking in the sun for 5 days. I initially wondered why no one was parked on the roof, I found out why. It was a 7 hour trip home. I sprayed it off real good to let the water soak and then removed all my luggage. Came back out and washed it off and there was not a single mark on the Zaino or paint. I can't think of any other product on the market that would have protected it any better, except maybe a car cover.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:18 AM
syf0n

Whoah, good news update: it wasn't the paint. Turns out it was a layer of blackfire that had come up from the birdshit. So no paint damage! It was just hardened and took a wash or two to wear down. All gone! Huzzah! Hooray for Blackfire