Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 PM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sonax is the best!!!

You can try a decent all purpose cleaner. Optimum Power Clean is amazing for everything.

Detailed image sells both.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Joe Cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hose addition

What do you guys recommend for adding to your garden hose to wash your cars? I would love one that can boost the water out so it sprays hard. And something that lasts since mine always leaks and end up buying a new one every spring.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by Joe Cool
What do you guys recommend for adding to your garden hose to wash your cars? I would love one that can boost the water out so it sprays hard. And something that lasts since mine always leaks and end up buying a new one every spring.

Thanks!
As for sprayer Gilmour Power Flow I am a big fan of this style as its easier to hold and no real moving parts to break. I recommend putting a Shut-off-valve on it too.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Joe Cool

Originally Posted by morphiusrt
As for sprayer Gilmour Power Flow I am a big fan of this style as its easier to hold and no real moving parts to break. I recommend putting a Shut-off-valve on it too.
Thanks, morphiusrt! Why a shut off valve? The description reads as if you can turn it on/off. Any video of this thing in action?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM
morphiusrt

You can shut it off easier. Because sometimes you find a position where you like to rinse and it's usually all the way open (for me at least). Just my preference.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Joe Cool

Gotcha; thanks, again
Old 08-11-2012, 05:08 AM
J. Dub

Anyone know how to get rid of that "halo" effect on windshields? When my car was new i could see perfect out of it. Now that it has almost 100k miles, street lights and car lights look "holy" like they have this ora to them. I tried washing really well but no luck. In fact all my cars do this at night
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Anyone know how to get rid of that "halo" effect on windshields? When my car was new i could see perfect out of it. Now that it has almost 100k miles, street lights and car lights look "holy" like they have this ora to them. I tried washing really well but no luck. In fact all my cars do this at night
There are some glass polishes but from i've read they only kinda only work. I used some m205 and an orange pad on my beater but didn't do much except make it really clean.

You can also clay bar it and that will get the surface contaminants off.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
RobZ06

Hello! I have owned my Z for a couple months and other then washing, claybarring and using the classic turtle wax I have't done much else to it, I would like to get better at detailing my car so it stays looking good! So I have 2 questions. Products I own: Meguiar Clay Bar Kit *comes with detailing spray*, Meguiar Cleaner Wax *red bottle*, A sample of Mothers FX Synthetic wax*have not tried*, Turtle Wax *hardshell, classic container one*.
1. On Sunday I washed, claybarred and applied a coat of turtlewax to my car, I want a bit more shine so I was thinking of buying Meguiar Carnuba wax and putting a coat of it on the car tomorrow, will that work? Can I put neither the Mothers or Meguiar wax on top of the turtle wax?
2. The previous owner of the Z had it on the freeway alot and as a result there are tiny rock chips all over the windshield, I heard online that claybarring it can help, is this false?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 PM
morphiusrt

Originally Posted by RobZ06
Hello! I have owned my Z for a couple months and other then washing, claybarring and using the classic turtle wax I have't done much else to it, I would like to get better at detailing my car so it stays looking good! So I have 2 questions. Products I own: Meguiar Clay Bar Kit *comes with detailing spray*, Meguiar Cleaner Wax *red bottle*, A sample of Mothers FX Synthetic wax*have not tried*, Turtle Wax *hardshell, classic container one*.
1. On Sunday I washed, claybarred and applied a coat of turtlewax to my car, I want a bit more shine so I was thinking of buying Meguiar Carnuba wax and putting a coat of it on the car tomorrow, will that work? Can I put neither the Mothers or Meguiar wax on top of the turtle wax?
2. The previous owner of the Z had it on the freeway alot and as a result there are tiny rock chips all over the windshield, I heard online that claybarring it can help, is this false?
1. If your looking for something over the counter meguiars gold class and ultimate products work amazing. If your looking for a really good wax that will make you want throw away all your others waxes look here I like the dodo line and chemical guys. Collinite 845 works great especially for the price.

2. Clay will most likely not fix much but it is good to do every once and awhile.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by ElderGooseYDG
Got a question about the microfiber cloths.

What is the best way to clean them? Washing machine then dryer? Machine then hang dry?

Also what about detergent? Or should we not use any detergent at all?

Apologies if this has been answered already.
The Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent is what I use in my HE washer and it works in traditional washers. Check out the detailing guide microfiber section it should outline some good tips for you!

Greg @ DI
Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Detailed Image... can you how you would clean an engine, bay, and the hood and what products you'd use?

Thanks!
As mentioned before me we have a great step by step article (Engine Bay Detail by Todd Cooperider) and our detailing guide also has a step by step guide. It's actually a very easy process that goes much faster than people think and it's very inexpensive.

I personally use the P21S Total Auto Wash and a rag to clean most of it. Follow it up with a quick drying and then protect the vinyl, rubber, plastic, etc. with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's a simple process just follow the more in depth details at the links above. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Old 08-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by scotts300
Looking for a "daily" leather cleaner to remove sunblock, lotion, etc. . .
A slightly damp microfiber towel that is clean is a good choice. I personally keep a DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel for this task, the thicker side is great for quicker cleanings and the thinner side is great for wiping when just a little bit more pressure is needed.

If you need a one step product the SONAX Leather Foam is a great choice!

If you have the time the best two step combo is the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil. This Leatherique How To Article shows how it's best used and the incredible before and after pics!

Greg @ DI
Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by bigbirdmodeZ
Any suggestions with what to use and process of cleaning this off the wheel?

I've used a wheel cleaner like one from Black magic. The spray on let soak a couple minutes, whip dry. Did this 3 times and scrubed really good with a sponge.
If that is rust it may need need to see a wheel shop. If it's just light surface rust or another type of build up you may be able to remove it yourself. Normally I recommend the SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect, it's an incredible cleaner that removes really stubborn brake dust while pH balanced. However it may not be strong enough and in that case I would probably recommend the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover ( IronX w/cherry scent ). This is normally used more on the paint but it's also pH balanced and good on the face of the wheel. It will help brake up iron deposits and more on the surface. Lastly a good metal polish will help clean up the wheel after you use that cleaner and really bring back a deep shine. I personally love the cleaning power of the P21S Finish Restorer, it works great every time for me. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Thanks!
morphiusrt nailed this one! Gilmour Power Flow Hose Nozzle can be dropped and it doesn't break as easy as most trigger nozzles. The Gilmour Brass Connector High Flow Shut-off Valve is another must have piece in my opinion. It helps kill the power to the hose without running back and forth. I can than connect my Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun and spray foam all over the vehicle and switch back whenever.

To prevent leaks you must keep the rubber ring inside the threads of the nozzle there, it is what creates the seal. Many times people lose this item and it never works the same afterward. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by J. Dub
If it has become dangerous to drive with contact your insurance company you may be able to get it replaced for $0 depending on your coverage. If you want to try cleaning or correcting it yourself I highly recommend the Glass Science Glass Scrub. This product deep cleans the surface and really helps keep the glass cleaner and smoother. You need more serious correction pick up the CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish and a Lake Country Glass Cutting Pad to apply with a buffer.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by RobZ06
Wash and clay bar is a great start but to make the paint pop you'll likely want to add a quality polish which unfortunately is not always available locally. Apply the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 by hand with medium pressure and you should be able to remove some of the fine imperfections in the paint. Ideally a polish is applied with a buffer but you can still make a noticeable improvement by hand. If you want to restore the paint to like new condition then pick up a two step polishing kit and a quality buffer. The DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads is a great combo that can help anyone make their paint look incredible again. These polishes will correct the surface and remove swirls, oxidation, etc. that all vehicles have. Next enhance this new shine with any of the waxes you mentioned. I'm not a big fan of the Turtle Wax stuff and I normally recommend a sealant on a daily driver. If you want more durable protection check out the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection or the Rejex Sealant for a great value.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM
bigbirdmodeZ

Thanks! I'll give the M54/IronX a try. I ned to pick up some Sonax wheel cleaner either way. They are the stock Alloy wheels. Any recommendations for a good metal polish for these Alloy wheels?

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
If that is rust it may need need to see a wheel shop. If it's just light surface rust or another type of build up you may be able to remove it yourself. Normally I recommend the SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect, it's an incredible cleaner that removes really stubborn brake dust while pH balanced. However it may not be strong enough and in that case I would probably recommend the CarPro Iron X Iron Remover ( IronX w/cherry scent ). This is normally used more on the paint but it's also pH balanced and good on the face of the wheel. It will help brake up iron deposits and more on the surface. Lastly a good metal polish will help clean up the wheel after you use that cleaner and really bring back a deep shine. I personally love the cleaning power of the P21S Finish Restorer, it works great every time for me. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-17-2012, 03:32 AM
morphiusrt

Thanks! I'll give the M54/IronX a try. I ned to pick up some Sonax wheel cleaner either way. They are the stock Alloy wheels. Any recommendations for a good metal polish for these Alloy wheels?
Optimum Metal Polish!!! Stuff is unbelievable.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...-P291/8-oz-S1/
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

The SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect is outstanding you're going to love it! For metal polishes the Optimum Metal Polish is a great choice. It deep cleans the surface and leaves a light coating of protection as well. I use this on the tips, trim, engine bay as well!

Greg @ DI

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...