Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Weird streaks on windows.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:26 PM
blazed54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird streaks on windows.

Hi I tried a new brand of waterspot remover for the first time and it's leaving really weird streaks on my window. I have lots of pics to show what i mean but can't seem to get rid of it. I've used claybar, my normal brand or waterspot remover (bought a diff brand cause i'm low on the reg stuff and need to order it online). also used vinegar distilled with water and rain x. NOTHING works. The thing is that when completely dry it looks normal and clean and glass is smooth. but the moment water touches it all hell breaks loose and it could probably endanger my driving since i used it on all 4 window.

PLease HELP!!!.

Pic of the junk waterspot remover called mx-7....

Pics of the water on windows

Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 AM
RWP350

im a professional detailer at JN automotive in nimitz and i do have 2 types of water spot remover creme and acid that will help you solve your problem. If you want some, you can stop by JN automotives. ill pm my #.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Ouch sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not a glass expert but I'll share with you what I think is going on. Glass is a very hard surface to polish as compared to a clear coat. Therefore the formula you used may have strong cutting particles in it, which may have added many fine scratches to the glass. The waves of lines look like the pattern of an arm motion. If you worked the polish in longer by machine you may have been able to smooth it out more or you may need to follow it up with a lighter polish to finish it down smoother. I would suggest getting it fixed ASAP for your safety. Most insurance companies are relatively friendly towards windshield replacements. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 AM
blazed54

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Ouch sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not a glass expert but I'll share with you what I think is going on. Glass is a very hard surface to polish as compared to a clear coat. Therefore the formula you used may have strong cutting particles in it, which may have added many fine scratches to the glass. The waves of lines look like the pattern of an arm motion. If you worked the polish in longer by machine you may have been able to smooth it out more or you may need to follow it up with a lighter polish to finish it down smoother. I would suggest getting it fixed ASAP for your safety. Most insurance companies are relatively friendly towards windshield replacements. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Greg @ Detailed Image
thx for the feedback, I worked the formula in by hand on a microfiber towel for no longer than a couple seconds. Also proceeded to rinse off immediately. It is extremely fine grit and no more abrasive than the other brands i've used in the past. I can only pray that the product the other member offered me will fix my problem.. I would hate to replace ALL 6 windows on my 07 Z which could lead to all sorts of wind and water problems with bad fits...
Old 10-09-2007, 06:07 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a good idea. Don’t put that junk on the windows.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 AM
paradigm

just looks like the product left something behind, but didn't etch the glass. i would try the following:

1. white vinegar wipedown w/ a microfiber towel
2. follow with a damp (water) microfiber
3. dry with clean MF towel
4. RainX the glass

vinegar has done the trick for me with many things on glass...grease, water spots, etc. RainX also seems to clean up any remaining dirt on the glass (whatever the carrier chemical in it is).

good luck!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:04 PM
blazed54

Hey, i just found something to clean my windows. Turns out it was a residue and not etched glass. "No touch auto glass stripper" which is a heavy duty cleaner was able to restore my window back to new. Will return mx7 and never use again.... thx everyone
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Louis21

I have waterspots on my 07 windows as well, I am guessing from when i got it. They only show when its raining and I use the wipers, otherwise they don't show. I read about vinegar and was going to give it a shot but I'm wondering if it's just a waste. please keep us updated on how you remove them
Old 10-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by Louis21
I have waterspots on my 07 windows as well, I am guessing from when i got it. They only show when its raining and I use the wipers, otherwise they don't show. I read about vinegar and was going to give it a shot but I'm wondering if it's just a waste. please keep us updated on how you remove them
Vinegar does work and will help remove light etchings. If you need to remove slightly deeper etchings I've had excellent success with the Glass Science Glass Scrub. This formula deep cleans the glass's micro-pores and can remove brake dust, sap, acid rain, watermarks and much more. I also recommend coating your glass with a sealant or the Glass Science Rain Clear Gel to help sheet water away. Good Luck!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 AM
paradigm

vinegar has worked on nearly every waterspot i've tried it on...but it has its limits. since it costs < $2 for a gallon, it's not bad...and most people already have it in their kitchen anyway. can't hurt to try!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Louis21

Thanks, I'l try the vinegar! Can I use it on the body as well? I heard you can but it takes off all wax (I have zaino on it) so it has to be re waxed/sealed.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Thanks, I'l try the vinegar! Can I use it on the body as well?
Who's body?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
paradigm

Thanks, I'l try the vinegar! Can I use it on the body as well? I heard you can but it takes off all wax (I have zaino on it) so it has to be re waxed/sealed.
yup...it's ok to use on painted surfaces. i would avoid trim/plastic though. you're correct...it will most likely strip away most or all of your wax or sealant...just rinse the area, dry, and reapply the protectant.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Damn david be a bit easier next time.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by davidv
Old 10-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Damn david be a bit easier next time.
I agree it's mean but his sense of humor is great.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 AM
Louis21

Well vinegar did not work, I rubbed and rubbed with no luck. I am sure whatever it is, it's been there since i got the car new. It also doesn't look so much as drain drops per se but more like drips...like rain (or something) dried up while it was dripping on its way down the windshield.
Kind of weird since usually when it's rain it dries mostly as drops not drips going down the windshield.....
Again looks fine as long as it doesn't rain and you're inside, once you turn thew wipers on, it leaves that ghosting image of the drips all across the windshield...
If anyone has had this and fixed it please let me know....after seeing what happened to blazed I'm afraid to use anything on it and make it worse...

Edit:
I was just reading that then new Zaino Z12 glass polish is very good for this....might give it a shot. Anyone tried it?

Last edited by Louis21; 10-16-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:09 AM
blazed54

Well vinegar did not work, I rubbed and rubbed with no luck. I am sure whatever it is, it's been there since i got the car new. It also doesn't look so much as drain drops per se but more like drips...like rain (or something) dried up while it was dripping on its way down the windshield.
Kind of weird since usually when it's rain it dries mostly as drops not drips going down the windshield.....
Again looks fine as long as it doesn't rain and you're inside, once you turn thew wipers on, it leaves that ghosting image of the drips all across the windshield...
If anyone has had this and fixed it please let me know....after seeing what happened to blazed I'm afraid to use anything on it and make it worse...

Edit:
I was just reading that then new Zaino Z12 glass polish is very good for this....might give it a shot. Anyone tried it?
Any popular brand waterspot remover should be fine. This happened to me because i used a local unknown brand. I've used like 3 other with no neg effects so look around for what others are using and you should be fine.. also don't forget to rain x your windows afterwards
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Edit:
The Glass Science Glass Scrub has removed every watermark I've used it on. Just get a wet applicator/towel and put a nickel sized drop on it and buff it on and rinse it off and you'll be all set. This leaves your glass really clean, so I recommend sealing it right after with a sealant like the Glass Science Rain Clear Gel. The sealant will help prevent watermarks from etching in to the glass and makes driving in rain/snow much easier. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 10-16-2007, 06:43 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Edit:
White vinegar will take care of calcium deposits.

I doubt that the residue is a petroleum product, so forget a distillate such as WD-40.

Mineral spirits is a good solvent. Try a conservative amount on a white towel. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Weird streaks on windows.