Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Flex XC 3401 VRG The next generation of orbital buffers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Greg what polishing material did you use??
Are you referring to the process posted above or just in general what do I use? I assume you want to know the polish and pads as well? Let me know and I'll provide all the details.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-01-2008, 09:53 AM
yella

i see all these polishes..so when you do a med-heavy polish you always have to finish with a light polish as in the finishing polish? so you do heavy then medium then light? or can you skip some steps
Old 06-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by yella
i see all these polishes..so when you do a med-heavy polish you always have to finish with a light polish as in the finishing polish? so you do heavy then medium then light? or can you skip some steps

Good questions. Whenever you use a more aggressive polishes you typically want to follow up with a lighter polish to ensure there is no haze left behind and the surface is optically clear and very smooth. Typically I would use a heavy polish and follow up with a medium and light to be on the safe side. If you are new to polishing I would suggest sticking with this route. This ensures there is no haze left behind that a light polish can not remove. However your specific polishes, process and pads also play a big part in this as well, as does the particular vehicle involved. With certain combinations you may be able to use a heavier polish and then go right to a finishing polish. Knowing exactly which combinations work best usually requires experience with that particular vehicle and combination of products, pads, etc.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
yella

Thanks that cleared it up for me.

On your site under polish, under medium polish theres P0106ff
Under light theres P0106ff also...so if i got that polish would i need a finishing polish?

What I dont understand is in the medium section theres light-medium, medium-heavy polishes...like the super intensive is like 50 bucks and intensive polish 16 bucks but its in the same bracket.

I probably will never do a heavy polish like the power gloss or any compound. probably medium then light.

dont know which medium polish to get, for finishing either P0106 or FP

sorry if this is off topic but im looking to get the flex over the PC
Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Your questions make perfect sense. Ranking the aggressiveness of each polish is no easy task because polishes can have varying levels of cutting power and finishing power. The Menzerna PO106FF and SIP are somewhat of an exception because the P0106FF is designed to be a light/finishing polish. The Menzerna PO106FF is a finishing polish that has enough cutting power to be almost as powerful as a medium cutting polish. The SIP is the same thing it's designed to be a medium cutting polish because it finishes down very smooth and clear, but it has enough cutting power to almost be a heavy cutting polish.

I think you have the right idea with using a medium and light polish combo. The SIP and PO106FF are probably the premier medium and light combination out there right now. The Menzerna IP and FPII are another great option that is more affordable. Another option is to use the Menzerna IP first and follow it up with the PO106FF. I would use any of the medium polishes (IP and SIP) with an orange light cutting pad and I would use the light polish (FPII and PO106FF) with a white polishing pad. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
yella

Ok so if the SIP is a medium to heavy...to use it on the heavy side you would use a yellow pad and for medium you would use a orange pad?

What if you use a light polish with a aggressive pad? what would it turn out to be?

Is the flex strong enough to bring back shine from wetsanding or color sanding , or do you need a rotary for that.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by yella
Ok so if the SIP is a medium to heavy...to use it on the heavy side you would use a yellow pad and for medium you would use a orange pad?

What if you use a light polish with a aggressive pad? what would it turn out to be?

Is the flex strong enough to bring back shine from wetsanding or color sanding , or do you need a rotary for that.
The polish is a medium / heavy polish no matter what pad you use. However as you stated it will cut more with a yellow pad and slightly less with an orange pad.

If you use a light polish with a heavy pad you may get some light haze on the surface that would need to be buffed out with a light pad and polish combo.

The Flex is definitely strong enough to remove wet sanding marks, but it would certainly depend on how well you finish it down. Assuming you use a fine grit towards the end you should be able to remove imperfections with no problem. A rotary is ideal for heavier cutting but a Flex can handle it as well.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up a Flex from Greg @ Detailed Image. Got it yesterday. Thanks Greg.